Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-22-2011, 10:54 PM
No, fuck YOU

"The new daughter" 5-6/10

A horror flick starring Kevin Costner? I had to buy it (cheap of course).

Well... it was better than what the cover had me believe. But what a half-assed performance by Costner. It was like he knew to begin with how the movie was going to be, but was forced doing it anyway. He was probably thinking about his band during the entire process.

The rest of the cast didn't do a much more convincing job. Especially not the "daughter".

What i DID like about this movie was that i had no idea what was happening until the very end. Now, if the very end was good is debatable. But i did like the very VERY end, right before the credits. Bye bye little guy. :D
Old 11-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Banned

outcast.. crap/10
Old 11-23-2011, 06:31 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
The Caller (2011)

This is definitely an above-average little horror film that is genuinely creepy. I thank everyone on the forum for bringing this movie to my attention because, honestly, it is SO REFRESHING to see a horror film that is trying to do something new.

All-in-all, I really recommend this movie. I do. I left it feeling similarly as I did after watching Triangle; that I had seen a solid little horror film and that there should be more like this (that is unlike everything else ;)) out there. Plus it really was genuinely creepy and did a great job at making this audience member uneasy.
Glad you liked it as well, Chrono. I thought it was very well done for the modest budget it was filmed in. The climactic climax was a bit predictable (but then seasoned horror fans should have a clue as the film progresses) but overall it's a nice little flick that deserves a bit more attention than it has gotten till now.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:21 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Glad you liked it as well, Chrono. I thought it was very well done for the modest budget it was filmed in. The climactic climax was a bit predictable (but then seasoned horror fans should have a clue as the film progresses) but overall it's a nice little flick that deserves a bit more attention than it has gotten till now.
Totally agree.

I've been so frustrated lately as I page through all of the horror movies on Comcast On Demand - How incredibly derivative they are

... Group of teenagers going into the woods...
... Troubled family movies into a new house....

Those two scenarios cover about 90% of horror movies available on Comcast On Demand right now - scanning through them gives me a headache.

Really wish that more filmmakers would be more original, more daring - And a movie like The Caller shows that you don't need a lot of money to do it.

I have a few movies in my Netflix queue that I'm pretty hopeful about, and I'm hopeful about some of the trailers you've posted (The Innkeepers to name one off the top of my head), but FUCK there's a lot of awful stuff out there... The Caller was so refreshing!!!

Cars 2 (2011)

I really liked the first Cars. I was shocked, actually, because when they advertised it in the theater I was absolutely not interested at all - I figured it was going to be a stupid salute to Nascar fans and an ultimate flop a la Ricky Bobby. But then I watched it and found it utterly charming, despite of myself. It was cute, it was funny, and it was really sweet.

As for Cars 2, I don't want to rag on it too much, but I found it ultimately unnecessary - The story was not great and mostly boring and it focused more on Mater than the full cast of characters whom I had grown to love in the first film. Bruce Campbell made a great little cameo which made me smile, but for the most part I would have preferred to see Pixar put out something new. I absolutely loved Up and Wall-E. Let's get something new out there.

2.75/5.

The Pack (2010)

Ugh. This movie went from mind-numbingly boring and derivative to potentially interesting to... just plain stupid.

What pisses me off about this movie is that the trailer actually makes it look interesting. I had to sit through about a half an hour of derivative backwoods girl-in-a-cage crap before finally seeing the cool, creepy monsters that the trailer promised me and they were absolutely LAME.

There's some environmental subtext in there but, to be honest, about 40 minutes in our heroine makes stupid decision after stupid decision that I just couldn't take it anymore. Also the editing was bafflingly bad. And the second half of the movie I spent wondering, "WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING THAT?!" Characters make dumb move after dumb move. I was baffled at the absurdity of how nonsensical it was.

Ultimately awful little movie. I want my 84 minutes and $5 back.

2/5.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 11-23-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Totally agree.

I've been so frustrated lately as I page through all of the horror movies on Comcast On Demand - How incredibly derivative they are

... Group of teenagers going into the woods...
... Troubled family movies into a new house....

Those two scenarios cover about 90% of horror movies available on Comcast On Demand right now - scanning through them gives me a headache.

Really wish that more filmmakers would be more original, more daring - And a movie like The Caller shows that you don't need a lot of money to do it.

I have a few movies in my Netflix queue that I'm pretty hopeful about, and I'm hopeful about some of the trailers you've posted (The Innkeepers to name one off the top of my head), but FUCK there's a lot of awful stuff out there... The Caller was so refreshing!!!
I agree 100%
Old 11-24-2011, 09:12 AM
For Vendetta

Saw part 2 many years back on VHS, and it has always been a guilty pleasure of mine.

Finally managed to track down the original and watched it last night.

A more than average entertainer which brings in a whole "made for TV" kind of vibe. The biggest expenses must be for the effects which were decently done, and this film also has a head exploding scene like the film it's based on, Scanners.

But overall, I think I preferred part 2 a bit more (maybe because it was my first introduction to the Scanners universe, plus it had 2 Scanners fighting each other *geekgasm*).

Now to track down part 3.

* * ½
Old 11-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

hmm iv got scanners in my collection and havnt watched it yet..must be good yeah
Old 11-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Now to track down part 3.
Don't think they made a Part 3 did they? I dig the Scanner Cop flicks they were the best of the sequels IMO.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:52 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Don't think they made a Part 3 did they? I dig the Scanner Cop flicks they were the best of the sequels IMO.
Ah yes you are right, bud. I was thinking about part 3 of the Scanners series when I typed that.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Ah yes you are right, bud. I was thinking about part 3 of the Scanners series when I typed that.
I got all excited for a second and tried to track it down :D