Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum

Old 10-12-2018, 04:03 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgetusk View Post
If they didn't attack us then it would just be some film about a zombie/ghost standing around. While the living just go about their business.

Maybe the act of dying makes you evil. Why do we fear ghosts? They're just people who died. Why would dying make you evil?
I don't think it necessarily makes you "evil" to die, but it could make you angry and upset.

Like for example if I was killed by another person rather it was because of murder or being killed in a war or executed for a crime or whatever. I would probably experience a lot of pain in the process of death before the life drains out of me and I am gone. If I was consciously still existing in some form I'd probably be very pissed and upset that I had to go through something like that and if I could hurt the person who killed me I would.

Or even if I was dying in the hospital. I might be angry that the doctors were unable to do anything to save me.

Edit: I think a good ghost example would be Kayako and her son Toshio from the Ju-On/The Grudge movies.

The title alone tells you that as ghosts they were angry that the man who was supposed to love them and take care of them brutally murdered them both in their own home so as spirits they continued to haunt the house and kill anybody who dared to set foot inside of the house that was once their family home. The "grudge" they felt after their deaths continued to linger.

Edit: and I think people fear the dead because they remind us of the fact that we are all doomed to die someday.

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 10-12-2018 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:08 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

And I think that's why a lot of horror writers and filmmakers sympathize with their undead monsters. They really aren't truly "evil", they're just humans existing in another state of being.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:18 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

And I wonder if maybe the reason zombies crave fresh human flesh is because the warm taste of it somehow reminds them of life?

I also thought the explanation in The Return of the Living Dead about eating brains helps to "relieve the pain of being dead" was pretty interesting.

Because apparently in that movie being a zombie hurts because you can feel yourself rotting away.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:59 AM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
But aren't the living oftentimes dickheads too?

Who'd ya think I was talking about?
Old 10-12-2018, 05:32 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Who'd ya think I was talking about?
Well the undead are dicks too. After all they're the ones wanting to kill you and possibly eat you.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:13 AM
The Original Copycat

There’s a slew of expository reasons for why the undead attack the living, depending on what film you’re watching.

Sometimes it’s because of a voodoo curse, other times it’s for a more science-y reason ( like it slows their metabolism, which keeps them from decaying). It can be a type of relief from the pain of death. It can be typical virus behavior, attempting to spread itself to as many hosts as possible. Or a more supernatural explanation, like hell spilling forth to literally consume humanity.

However, there is one universal truth that ( in my experience ) is just as valid as any I’ve heard. Old rotten flesh and cold coagulated blood taste like shit, but fresh meat that’s still warm? Now, that’s the stuff
Old 11-14-2018, 07:11 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oro13 View Post
There’s a slew of expository reasons for why the undead attack the living, depending on what film you’re watching.

Sometimes it’s because of a voodoo curse, other times it’s for a more science-y reason ( like it slows their metabolism, which keeps them from decaying). It can be a type of relief from the pain of death. It can be typical virus behavior, attempting to spread itself to as many hosts as possible. Or a more supernatural explanation, like hell spilling forth to literally consume humanity.

However, there is one universal truth that ( in my experience ) is just as valid as any I’ve heard. Old rotten flesh and cold coagulated blood taste like shit, but fresh meat that’s still warm? Now, that’s the stuff
Yeah each movie and story has it's own explanation but symbolically I think what each story implies is that the dead are envious of the living and want to make them "not live" anymore.

It's basically like the dead are thinking "Why did I have to die? I'm taking you all with me!"

That's the feeling I get in every horror movie and story about the undead anyways.

Besides ghosts don't eat people. lol

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 11-14-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:24 PM
The Original Copycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
Besides ghosts don't eat people. lol
Sure don’t.

Ghosts do... Other things
Old 11-22-2018, 04:55 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oro13 View Post
Sure don’t.

Ghosts do... Other things
Well that ghost is eating something alright.