Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-27-2012, 08:25 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

Like others I like 1 or 2 of his songs.

House Of A Thousand Corpses to me was let me rip off Tobe Hooper. Not pay homage too, but just plain rip him off and add nothing of my own.

The Devil's Rejects was him trying to do his own thing and pay homage to the exploitation films of yesteryear. It was ok in that respect.

The only thing I liked about Halloween was the girl who played Laurie. I thought she did a good job.

Halloween 2 was a total disaster and is one of the biggest wastes of time I have experienced.

I agree with Immortal Slasher in that Werewolf Women Of The SS was probably the coolest thing he has done. If you're going to go exploitation in this decade, go WAY out there with Werewolves, Nazi's and Fu Manchu.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Why another Spider Baby? I thought Spider Baby was one of the major films that influenced him to make HO1TC.
I want to see how he'd spoil it trying to put a spin on it.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Didn't Shoot Bill Murray

I like some of his music and really like the passion that he has for the horror genre, however I don't like his movies. I can't say whether or not they're bad because it's more that I just don't like the kind of movies that he makes and I've never watched his adaptations of the Halloween franchise. Again, I really like his passion, the fun he has with the genre and think he seems like a really cool guy overall but when it comes to his movies, they're just not really what I'm into.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
He has his own style and he sticks to it - it worked for his original films, but it didn't work for a remake. Zombie does trashy visual horror whilst Halloween was very much suspense-terror based and it just didn't work. Not a bad musician, not REALLY a bad film maker. He's mainly disliked because of a bad call.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 09-27-2012, 09:20 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Without a doubt, Rob Zombie knows what horror as a genre is all about. He's educated in the field. The fact he named his band after one of the most iconic films from the classic era is telling.

His first film was an homage not just to classic horror films, but to the idea of horror in America. The tradition of the backwoods roadside horror attraction was used to great effect, as was the perverse look at the nature of the American family. There was a bit of a scattershot approach, but his influences were wide and varied, and that kept things interested.

It seems most fans prefer Devil's Rejects, but I don't. It's certainly a more focused, cohesive film, but I missed the insane storyline of the first.

His Halloween films I just plain HATE. I don't like his spin on the characters or the storyline at all. I don't think they add anything interesting.

In the future, I'd prefer to see him stick with original projects. I'm glad the proposed "reimagining" of The Blob fell through. I guess at this point his films are a mixed bag for me. I'm looking forward to what he does next.
Yeah, I'm basically totally with NE. Really really enjoyed his first two films as going-all-out everything-in-a-blender homages to decades of horror cinema.
The Halloween remakes were total garbage (or at least the first; I never bothered with the second).
Looking forward to Lords of Salem, with it being an original project. I think he'll do well with a dig on the hard rock horror films of the 80s, which is what the movie sounds like.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Banned

i actually think if the blob didn't fall through it could have been really good,its already been remade and the remake was better that the original IMO.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:18 PM
RJ Bland

Cheers guys, the overriding consensus seems to be that some of you liked his first two films but pretty much everyone is in agreement that his take on Halloween was a failure. I'll put some of these views on the site. Thanks again.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Little Boo

Rob Zombie should have not touched the Halloween franchise.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Midnight toker

I thought House of 1000 corpses was decent, but to be honest I kinda find the whole over- acting shtick pretty unconvincing. You can throw as much fake blood and violence at me as you want, but asking me to sit through Sheri Moon trying to act is a step too far. Here's a clue Rob, noone else is hiring her....

I quite liked some of the shots in Devil's Rejects and we got a glimpse of how to act from Geoffrey Lewis, so it wasn't all bad I guess. I'm not in a rush to watch the rest of his flicks though.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Evil Dead

Rob Zombie,one of the most over rated hacks in the industry.Both House and Devils where shite beyond belief,the Halloween remake was ok,nothing great and certainly not as good as the original.

I dont listen to his music and if it is anything like his movies than i will stay well clear.

Horror does not need people like this.Just because he injects bad language in every sentence of every scene does not make a great flic.Stick to your music Zombie and leave the horror to someone who gives it the justice it deserves.