Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-26-2012, 03:55 AM
RJ Bland

Thoughts on Rob Zombie

Hey all

Doing a piece on my site about Rob Zombie. Thought I might include a few opinions from other horror fans on the page. I know he tends to divide opinion!
If anyone wants to contribute I'd be grateful :)
Old 09-26-2012, 07:55 AM
Evil Dead

His movies are nothing groundbreaking, but nevertheless entertaining. House of 1000 Corpses was a good enough throwback to the '70s style exploitation films. The Devils Rejects was much better to me, and had some more intelligence. It explored the idea of the antihero.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
His music is ok, I guess. Hellbilly Deluxe had a few good hits, but he's just another guy.

I absolutely hate House of 1000 Corpses AND The Devil's Rejects. They're boring, pointless, and are completely unscary (or even shocking).

His remake of Halloween was ok, I liked seeing Michael as a hulking monster instead of the slim figure, although the original is much more effective (stealth vs muscle), but the idea that Michael became evil because of child abuse and neglect is retarded. I usually just watch the second half and ignore the flashback bullshit.

Oddly enough, as stupid as it was, I liked Halloween 2 quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Banned

he has one or two songs i like,otherwise his music is shit.
his movies have been pretty good so far apart from halloween 2
Old 09-26-2012, 10:38 PM
RJ Bland

Cool - some interesting views there
Keep them coming people!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:42 PM
Cranky

Without a doubt, Rob Zombie knows what horror as a genre is all about. He's educated in the field. The fact he named his band after one of the most iconic films from the classic era is telling.

His first film was an homage not just to classic horror films, but to the idea of horror in America. The tradition of the backwoods roadside horror attraction was used to great effect, as was the perverse look at the nature of the American family. There was a bit of a scattershot approach, but his influences were wide and varied, and that kept things interested.

It seems most fans prefer Devil's Rejects, but I don't. It's certainly a more focused, cohesive film, but I missed the insane storyline of the first.

His Halloween films I just plain HATE. I don't like his spin on the characters or the storyline at all. I don't think they add anything interesting.

In the future, I'd prefer to see him stick with original projects. I'm glad the proposed "reimagining" of The Blob fell through. I guess at this point his films are a mixed bag for me. I'm looking forward to what he does next.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 09-27-2012, 01:45 AM
Evil Dead

His music is dire and all sounds the same.I dont mind House of a thousand corpses but cannot abide Sheri Moons infantile screeching and giggles~although I guess youre not supposed to like her!.
Id love for him to do a new version of Spider baby, as I think he'd put his own unique twist on it .Other than that he slips under the radar for me
Old 09-27-2012, 07:17 AM
Cranky

Oh, good grief- that's one of the most vile ideas I've ever heard.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 09-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Why another Spider Baby? I thought Spider Baby was one of the major films that influenced him to make HO1TC.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Immortal horror fan

I thought there was a topic on this before. I like his music. At least a few of his songs. His movies I don't like that much. He is a horror fan but wants to put his spin on stuff too much I think. I barely remember House of 1000 Corpses. I do know that I didn't like it. The Devil's Rejects I passed on because it was a sequel. Even though I heard it was better. Halloween sucked. No real director should even attempt to remake one of the best horror movies ever. They just shouldn't. I might watch Halloween 2 one day but I doubt it. The way Halloween ended killed the possibility of a sequel. His best is probably the Werewolf Women of the SS short film in Grindhouse. In a way, both Eli Roth and Zombie did their best work for Tarantino and Rodriguez.