Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Evil Dead

SCARYMINDA15

I AGREE WITH THE BRUZZELER. STEPHEN KING IS THE KING OF HORROR. HE MIGHT WRITE BOOKS, BUT HE IS STILL THE KING OF HORROR. THE MOVIES JUST BRING HIS VERSION OF BRINGING THE FEAR INTO YOUR LIFE AND YOU CAN'T REALIZE THAT WELL I DON'T THINK I WANT TO KNOW WELL UNLESS YOU STILL LIKE HIM.BYE: SCARYMINDA15
Old 07-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
STEPHEN KING IS THE KING OF HORROR
...and YOU are the King of Caps.... :D

"God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East." --G W Bush, according to Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas
Old 07-12-2005, 06:13 AM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally posted by Unaboner3000
...and YOU are the King of Caps.... :D
And the king of fuck-tards.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:14 AM
Tenant

I don't think a lot of you are being fair. Stephen King is a great writer. Now, he may not be one of the greatest writers, but he's a hell of a good one, and I'm thinking that those of you who say he isn't just don'tlike him, which is all opinion based. Just think of how many books he's cranked out, and how effective they are. And I haven't come across a bad one yet.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:31 PM
The Dork Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by alkytrio666
Just think of how many books he's cranked out

You can crank out 100 books....

If 5 are good and you copy those 20 times over then that ain't all that great.

People see how much he's done and see his name slapped on a bunch of films that he didn't work on at all and they just think he's ''the king'' because he's done so much.

I'd take a couple great books over alot of repetitive average ones any day.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:34 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to azathoth777 Send a message via Yahoo to azathoth777
Quote:
Originally posted by alkytrio666
I don't think a lot of you are being fair. Stephen King is a great writer. Now, he may not be one of the greatest writers, but he's a hell of a good one, and I'm thinking that those of you who say he isn't just don'tlike him, which is all opinion based. Just think of how many books he's cranked out, and how effective they are. And I haven't come across a bad one yet.
Isn't thinking he's a good writer just opinion based. Cranking out books doen't make you a good writer. Dean Koontz, Michael Crichton, and Jackie Collins crank out tons of books too, does that make them good authors?
Now King is a supermarket author, plan and simple. It may have been different back in the day, but now...
i demand and expect quality.
right now, once and for all.
quality time.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:25 AM
Banned

Nonsense - Stephen King is just out of fashion, not out of talent.

When he first came along with Carrie, no-one had read the likes of it before. Now he has spawned so many immitators and wannabes that - together with the rise of video and the internet as primary home entertainment - settling down to a good King story doesn't seem to hold as much unique appeal.

But having done his vampire, ghost and monster stories, he can still produce some very interesting ideas - witness the simple brilliance of The Langoliers (creatures that eat the past), and the sometimes surreal The Tommyknockers.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:53 AM
whatever gets you through

Quote:
Originally posted by EXTR3MIST
Nonsense - Stephen King is just out of fashion, not out of talent.
I think King has written too much. He has some wonderful books - really top notch stuff (even in terms of literary merit). But then it all started going downhill. I recently read From a Buick 8 and thought there was some lovely writing and great characters - but then he couldn't seem to figure his way out of the story. To me that's lazy, hasty writing and - let's be honest here - no EDITING. No editor in the world is going to look at a King manuscript at this point in his illustrious career and say - "gee Steve, kind of gets sloppy at the end." I think this is the death of most "popular" writers in the current economy of mass-production/consumption. People get famous and then stop getting good editing.