Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > TV Shows
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-20-2013, 06:51 AM
Immortal horror fan

Ok guys and girls. This show isn't a retelling, origin, or anything like that of Norman Bates. What this show is, is how much trouble can a Mother and her son (sons?) get into in a small town. The show is very stupid now. Norman with his relationships with girls, the crime subplots, all this stuff is away from the best thing about Psycho. The hotel and house. I did laugh when Norman brings the girl back to the hotel. Only a few episodes left. I'm 100% sure it will get worse. But I think the show was already renewed for another season which is shocking.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
This show isn't a retelling, origin, or anything like that of Norman Bates. What this show is, is how much trouble can a Mother and her son (sons?) get into in a small town.
Yeah it seems that way but I think it'll get back on track to combine a lot of those elements to create a origin story. I wasn't really expecting Hitchcock (or a complete tie in with the original film) so I'm not disappointed in the show so far. I like how the motel is revealing secrets about the town hopefully it'll yield something a bit more interesting by the season's end.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Evil Dead

If you are no longer watching this is how it is panning out:

Warning this article contains spoilers on the latest episode!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-father-444107

Old 04-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Horror Fan

I thought "Bates Motel" was dead in the water after the first two episodes. Calmly abandoned a lot of its "Psycho" roots and was roundly criticized by longtime Horror.com members (see pp. 1-2). Now it's been picked up for another season and this thread is up to its fifth page. I may have to give this show another shot.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
I thought "Bates Motel" was dead in the water after the first two episodes. Calmly abandoned a lot of its "Psycho" roots and was roundly criticized by longtime Horror.com members (see pp. 1-2). Now it's been picked up for another season and this thread is up to its fifth page. I may have to give this show another shot.
I would suggest it. I agree with Elvis Christ. I did not go in watching this thinking it would be like Psycho, but more of using those characters to develop events that led to what happened with Norman. The creators even said it would not be like it thus the major differences but still setting some ground work. I have seen every episode to date and there is a lot more to the story. It may not be everyone's taste, but I like it.

Last edited by horrorfangirl66; 04-23-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Cranky

If they were doing that in a way thast was creative and respected the source material. it would be worth watching. As it is, they're just spewing out cliche TV fodder that barely rises to the level of Urkle. Another cynical effort to cash in on classic material while shitting all over it.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Misanthrope

Last episode was great. Glad they've concluded one of the plotlines and not dragged it out any longer and delved more into Norman being a fruitloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Another cynical effort to cash in on classic material while shitting all over it.
That's been the case with the Psycho franchise since 1986. The only thing that's really worth a shit is the first sequel.

Still I find it entertaining enough to kill 45 minutes each week. I don't tend to take TV shows too seriously. Every now and then there's one that's genius but for the most part it's all popcorn for the brain for me. Basically soap operas in different clothing.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Last episode was great. Glad they've concluded one of the plotlines and not dragged it out any longer and delved more into Norman being a fruitloop.
I know. I thought so too. It was nice to know that what they uncovered and everything led to that being revealed versus too much into the plot not being explained. And I agree about how you view TV shows as well.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Cranky

I don't expect anything to be crap, so I guess I'm less willing to consume it.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

I finally got caught up and was able to watch the Monday's episode last night. After viewing the first 6 episodes I'll say I am enjoying the show quite a bit.

I thought it was going to be something different before it aired but I like the direction the show has gone. I think the show would have been to hard to maintain if it was nothing but Norman. Instead we have the central character of the Bates family and a secondary character of this really strange town where all sorts of strange things are going on.