Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: which film should i choose?
Carrie 1976 1 7.14%
The Shining 1980 6 42.86%
The Exorcist 1973 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Little Boo

which classic horror film should i choose?

help please, i'm putting on a classic horror film showing as a fundraiser and want it to be the most successful it can be.

I'd like to draw all age groups from 14 to seniors.

i was thinking to piggyback on the opening of the CARRIE remake by presenting the original 1976 film. but don't know how high the interest is in the remake.

i am also considering THE SHINING or THE EXORCIST but don't want to limit the audience by showing a film that by its rating might limit the audience admissions.

comments, suggestions welcome.

thanks
Anthony
Old 08-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Cranky

Well, Carrie itself has some problematic content for younger viewers- there's some nudity and a sexually suggestive scene. Just something to think about.

Poltergeist is a good scary film that all ages could watch, IMO.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 08-02-2013, 02:46 PM
ventricle

Hi Anthony -- I definitely need more info to give you a good usable answer. As you said you want to show horror film (and you've polling three extreme Rated R films) for a fund raiser and looking to draw all age groups from 14 to seniors, I have to tell you straight up, you're walking into very precarious territory (in the area of offending), and you have to choose very carefully.

What type of fund raiser is it? Raising funds to do what? for what organization? What's the venue? outside screen, your house, a church, a school gym? what audience you targeting?

First of all, you have to consider the law, and offending protective parents. Rated R films are "Under 17 Requires Accompanying Parent or Adult Guardian". If you do a Rated R film, how are you keeping 14-17 yr out who don't have parental approved chauffeur? You can be charged with Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor. And also, there are law concerning displaying these films for money. I don't know if using a film for a fund raiser is legal or not.

Again, I need more info to give you good advise. But I'd say, IF you use a Rated R movie, you should restrict the audience to 18 and up. Or you may consider great horror films that aren't Rated R, or simply don't have 'obscene' material, such as Poltergeist, or even Frankenstein 33, or Nosferatu 22. Better yet, you may want to show a movie that has great clips from many films, where you can control the content.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Horror Fan

You need to call this thing off. This is supposed to be fun for the whole family and you want to show The Exorcist?

Old 08-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Evil is Better

The Gate......

Old 08-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Little Boo

thanks sculpt.

it is a fundraiser for a creative arts association, a non-profit organization that supports amateur theatre and the arts.

it will be shown at our local cinema where all admission restrictions will be followed.

Here in Canada most films rated Restricted in the USA are rate 14+ or PG. Strong content Restricted films in the USA are rated 18+ here.

As an example THE CONJURING is rated 14+

Canadians as a whole are not easily offended. The age group i can see being interested are 15-60.

Anthony
Old 08-02-2013, 03:06 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
You need to call this thing off. This is supposed to be fun for the whole family and you want to show The Exorcist?
LOL! He'd definitely get a lot of post-showing coverage. May not be what he was hoping for though.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Little Boo

i most definitely did not say this was a family event.

we present a classic film every month, so far The War of The Worlds 1953, Psycho 1960, Back to the Future 1985, Willow 1988. Future films under consideration, after the horror film this Halloween, The Towering Inferno, Fantastic Voyage, The French Connection, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, King Creole, Loving You, The Longest Day, Gone With The Wind,
Frankenstein 1931, Grand Prix, American Graffitti, Enter the Dragon and many others.

as you can see it is a varied list.

Anthony
Old 08-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Evil Dead

My suggestion would be the original Salems Lot, it's a classic horror story that is spooky, but not very gory or violent. But maybe a bit longer than what you're looking for.

Poltergeist and The Gate were also very good suggestions.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Banned

The original Fright Night
The Changeling