Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Indie Horror Movies and Short Films
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-15-2004, 09:15 AM
Scares Little Kids

Absolution (Sub-Rosa Video)

Has anyone seen this god-awful digi-movie (I think)? God, it has no redeemable values to speak of. Angels on earth? Indeed. :mad:
Old 05-19-2004, 09:01 AM
Butcher

Yes it was awful! Then again, just about everything that Sub Rosa releases is garbage. Same goes for EI (Seduction Cinema). I'm convinced that their only purpose is to release films that are so worthless and stupid, that no other company would waste their time with them.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Scares Little Kids

I may be biased here, because not only do I more or less work for Sub Rosa, but they're releasing the movie I made with Amy Lynn Best (SEVERE INJURIES) in December. But I don't think everything we (they) put out is garbage. We have a number of cool things, my favorite being SCRAPBOOK (okay, maybe "favorite" is the wrong word, as I never watch that movie for entertainment, but I am simply in awe of it). I'm also fond of Brian Clement's MEAT MARKET series.

As for ABSOLUTION, I'm not the biggest fan of the execution, but I really dug the premise. What's wrong with the idea of angels on earth? It's just as plausible as demons, if you want to look at it that way. Again, though, the above is just my opinion.

Mike Watt

B-Movie fans, check out the latest additions at www.b-movie.com
Old 05-20-2004, 03:58 AM
Butcher

True... Saying everything Sub Rosa put out is garbage is a bit OTT. They did put some pretty cool films out for a time. I really liked RAVAGE, KILLING SPREE, TRUTH OR DARE and ICE FROM THE SUN. It's just that lately they haven't put out anything near the quality of those films in a long while. It really seems like they've been scraping the bottom of the barrell (where EI/Seduction Cinema resides).

Good luck with your movie Mr. Watt, I definately will give it a look! :)

Oh and SCRAPBOOK, I thought that film was really pathetic. I thought they just tried too hard to be offensive and that the 2 leads were just plain awful. IMO this is probably the most over-rated indie film out there. Again, that's just my opinion on it. I know that a lot of people really seem to like it (which is what got me to buy it unfortunately).
Old 05-24-2004, 07:45 AM
Scares Little Kids

Interesting premise

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeWatt
I may be biased here, because not only do I more or less work for Sub Rosa, but they're releasing the movie I made with Amy Lynn Best (SEVERE INJURIES) in December. But I don't think everything we (they) put out is garbage. We have a number of cool things, my favorite being SCRAPBOOK (okay, maybe "favorite" is the wrong word, as I never watch that movie for entertainment, but I am simply in awe of it). I'm also fond of Brian Clement's MEAT MARKET series.

As for ABSOLUTION, I'm not the biggest fan of the execution, but I really dug the premise. What's wrong with the idea of angels on earth? It's just as plausible as demons, if you want to look at it that way. Again, though, the above is just my opinion.

Mike Watt
Maybe. But, the execution is absolutely wretched (aside from the convincing throat slitting scene, the movie is bollocks). The movie could have benefitted from an edit. A huge edit at that. I mean, come on, there was a V/O (voice over) scene which well, introduces the angel scene. It would have been better if we were shown this scene. Rather than some girl telling it to us. I mean, in 90mins, you could have done a lot. I still think it's horrible.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:47 PM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally posted by Butcher
True... Saying everything Sub Rosa put out is garbage is a bit OTT. They did put some pretty cool films out for a time. I really liked RAVAGE, KILLING SPREE, TRUTH OR DARE and ICE FROM THE SUN. It's just that lately they haven't put out anything near the quality of those films in a long while. It really seems like they've been scraping the bottom of the barrell (where EI/Seduction Cinema resides).

Good luck with your movie Mr. Watt, I definately will give it a look! :)

Oh and SCRAPBOOK, I thought that film was really pathetic. I thought they just tried too hard to be offensive and that the 2 leads were just plain awful. IMO this is probably the most over-rated indie film out there. Again, that's just my opinion on it. I know that a lot of people really seem to like it (which is what got me to buy it unfortunately).
Thanks for the well-wishing, Butcher! People have seemed to like it in the previews, but we'll have to wait and see.

Sub Rosa has some interesting stuff either out or coming out, depending on your taste, of course. If you're a Franco fan, we just put out two new titles, plus we have the title folks seem to be clamoring for, for some reason, BRIDE OF FRANK, due out next month.

SCRAPBOOK isn't for everyone. I think it's brilliant (and thought so long before I started working there), but I know people who think it's crap as well. Which is the neat thing about opinions: everyone's wrong! :) And while I really respect the film, I won't watch it again.

My current favorite is a silly title called HEY, STOP STABBING ME!, which is just fun.

As for THE ABSOLUTION, I agree completely with the problems you have with it, Kathy, and there's no sense in me trying to defend it. But for some reason, there were things in it that resonated with me and I ended up not hating it at the end. I think there should have been more time spent on the production, but that's sometimes a luxury...

Mike

B-Movie fans, check out the latest additions at www.b-movie.com
Old 05-26-2004, 01:34 PM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeWatt
Thanks for the well-wishing, Butcher! People have seemed to like it in the previews, but we'll have to wait and see.

Sub Rosa has some interesting stuff either out or coming out, depending on your taste, of course. If you're a Franco fan, we just put out two new titles, plus we have the title folks seem to be clamoring for, for some reason, BRIDE OF FRANK, due out next month.

SCRAPBOOK isn't for everyone. I think it's brilliant (and thought so long before I started working there), but I know people who think it's crap as well. Which is the neat thing about opinions: everyone's wrong! :) And while I really respect the film, I won't watch it again.

My current favorite is a silly title called HEY, STOP STABBING ME!, which is just fun.

As for THE ABSOLUTION, I agree completely with the problems you have with it, Kathy, and there's no sense in me trying to defend it. But for some reason, there were things in it that resonated with me and I ended up not hating it at the end. I think there should have been more time spent on the production, but that's sometimes a luxury...

Mike
It's not a luxury, it's laziness on their part. :mad: