Old 01-07-2012, 02:27 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
I think most of the 'decent jobs' she done for Kevin can be categorized as Material jobs, the jobs that can be done by anyone who does that as for a 'duty' or somewhat in a 'forced (or not) responsibility' point of view. First of all, IMO:

IMO, this is not just a story about a mother-son relationship, it's a fantastic character study of human psych & love. A very much needed watch for everyone.

But still.. that shouldn't make him a psycho. Maybe a little socially challenged, but that's it.

Already in a very young age he had psychotic behavior.

Last edited by _____V_____; 01-07-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:32 AM
No, fuck YOU

Oh, and another thing.

What was so amazing about the ending?? What was revealed there?

I personally got nothing out of their last conversation together. :o Just thought, "poor mommy. Is she going home to hang herself now"?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Oh, and another thing.

What was so amazing about the ending?? What was revealed there?

I personally got nothing out of their last conversation together. :o Just thought, "poor mommy. Is she going home to hang herself now"?
Yeah the ending really wasnt anything exciting. For me the climax was

SPOILERS:"Seeing" him shooting all the people and the chaos at the school afterwards and Eva going home and seeing her husband and daughter dead.END OF SPOILERS

As for your other question. I don't think her treatment completely made him a psycho but more or less steered him in that direction. He probably had tendencies but might not have acted on them if not for her bad parenting. Thats what parents do, they shape their children into who they may become whether they know they're doing it or not.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:05 AM
HDC Idol

Man. FINALLY saw this movie and I was more than impressed. I thought that some of the RED imagery (BLOOD ON HER HANDS) was a bit heavy-handed but not enough to turn me off (it turned off the fiance, though; he thought the movie was just OK).

But to the topic at hand - In my opinion, I thought that Kevin was a true bad seed and I found the movie absolutely terrifying. I disagree with Villain and Roshiq; I don't think that she was a terrible parent per se - I think that she tried, in his infancy to connect with him (man the scene where she was rolling the ball to him and he refused to roll it back - SO HEARTBREAKING) but he gave her nothing but hate.

Do I think that she gave up? Yes, I do. And the mini-golf scene is evidence of how she had absolutely given up on him especially in adolescence. And the scene where she breaks his arm - GOD - I sympathized with her but hated her at the same time.

I know I'm rambling a bit but I have to say that I really sympathized with Eva here, I really did. It's clear that eventually she just became complacent but I think that it was a byproduct of her despair in her inability to connect with her son, after trying (and I do think she tried).

But on the other side of things, I think that giving up wasn't the right thing to do, but I wonder - What the HELL would I do in this situation?

Maybe I'm coming at this as a woman who's thought about having kids - One of the things that terrifies me is What if my child hates me? - That probably sounds insane and I hate to play the gender card, but I wonder if that's why I sympathize with her so much; the idea of having a child who hates you is absolutely terrifying and heartbreaking to me. It truly is.

And to answer Angra's question - I think that he was a true Bad Seed. I do. But her eventual complacency and the husband's obtuseness to the situation clearly played into it. I mean, the movie is entitled We Need to Talk About Kevin, but they never truly talk about Kevin; Franklin dismisses Eva and that's that. I think that a lot of the movie is about complacency - Kevin has his diatribe on TV about people being complacent in terms of merits and success but they "pay attention" when horrible things happen.

As for the ending - I don't know; I hadn't really thought about it; I think that I was really just drained after seeing the pure hopelessness of Eva's situation and the guilt that she carries with her. I think that she's doing what she's done her whole life - Just trying to be there but making no difference.

I know that's not a great analysis, but I agree with Villain in terms of where the apex came.

All in all, I was truly impressed with this movie. I found it incredibly intense and melancholic and it definitely unnerved me. Brilliant film.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post

Maybe I'm coming at this as a woman who's thought about having kids - One of the things that terrifies me is What if my child hates me? - That probably sounds insane and I hate to play the gender card, but I wonder if that's why I sympathize with her so much; the idea of having a child who hates you is absolutely terrifying and heartbreaking to me. It truly is.
I had the same fears before i had a child too. Kids never really took a liking to me so i thought the same would happen with my own. But my daughter lights up everytime she's around me and everytime i pick her up from her mother's she runs up to me excited to see me. Don't let your fears keeping you from having one of the greatest things in the world.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:55 PM
HDC Idol

I wish you were here so I could hug you right now. That's probably the sweetest and most inspiring thing I've heard all day. :)

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I wish you were here so I could hug you right now. That's probably the sweetest and most inspiring thing I've heard all day. :)
:D

I'm glad i could inspire you and i know one day you will have kids and they'll love you and you'll be a great mom.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:57 PM
Evil Dead

I appreciate movies that really affect me... This one was so unsettling that I thought about it for 3 days straight. I loved it, but I never want to see it again.

I think Kevin's issues were the result of a nature and nurture perfect storm - a poorly raised bad seed.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Evil Dead

Id harbor murderous thoughts towards my Mum if she had called me Kevin.What an evil bitch!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommywikkid View Post
Been wanting to see this, where can you find it?

i got my copy at the library.