Old 06-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Tenant

Exactly. It would literally be like making the new Halloween PG-13.

Die Hard is the pinnacle of violent, high-octane action.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:51 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
In all honesty though, look at the Die Hard movies for sec - the violence really isnt R by today's standards anyway. The only thing that gave With a Vengeance an R rather than a PG-13 was the language. The only thing that'll be missing from this will be a little bit of cursing...we all know that they wont cut the classic line, and beyond that who cares if they swear at all?

And as for complaining about Fantastic Four and Evan Almighty being PG - for God's sake, why wouldn't they be? They're both aimed at a younger audience, and have no need for excessive violence/swearing/sex. I cant vouch for Evan Almighty yet, but FF: RotSS managed to have some pretty damn cool action scenes despite the rating. The Thing didnt rip people's limbs off in gory detail, we didnt get to see Reed and Sue getting it on...would that really have made the movie better?

Ratings are bullshit anyway.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
In all honesty though, look at the Die Hard movies for sec - the violence really isnt R by today's standards anyway. The only thing that gave With a Vengeance an R rather than a PG-13 was the language. The only thing that'll be missing from this will be a little bit of cursing...we all know that they wont cut the classic line, and beyond that who cares if they swear at all?

Maybe I am remembering wrong, but I remember some pretty graphic violence in Die Hard with a Vengeance. The scene in the elevator, Simon's female companion slicing a guy up pretty savagely (I can't remember her name). There was quite a bit of blood, not these almost "clean" deaths we often see in PG-13 films.
Also, who cares? Again, I wouldn't care, if it was a DIFFERENT character......but John McClane is rough around the edges, the man swears outside of the classic line. That's the character they created. So they are toning down the character to get a rating. No matter which way I look at it, this is Die Hard Lite.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Tonight's the nght.

I just think Holywood is slowly trying to put more violence in PG-13 movies.So they can slowly allow more in R-rated movies.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna26 View Post
Maybe I am remembering wrong, but I remember some pretty graphic violence in Die Hard with a Vengeance. The scene in the elevator, Simon's female companion slicing a guy up pretty savagely (I can't remember her name). There was quite a bit of blood, not these almost "clean" deaths we often see in PG-13 films.
Also, who cares? Again, I wouldn't care, if it was a DIFFERENT character......but John McClane is rough around the edges, the man swears outside of the classic line. That's the character they created. So they are toning down the character to get a rating. No matter which way I look at it, this is Die Hard Lite.
Go back to the first die hard when Hans shoots Takagi in the head. Rarely do you see that much blood hit glass in an action movie. Not to mention later on after he shoots Ellis (i think), they do a pan around his body, and you can see city lights through the hole in his head....
Old 06-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodstok View Post
Go back to the first die hard when Hans shoots Takagi in the head. Rarely do you see that much blood hit glass in an action movie. Not to mention later on after he shoots Ellis (i think), they do a pan around his body, and you can see city lights through the hole in his head....
Right, they are violent movies and are meant to be violent. Even by today's standards.

Dante: I personally think they are allowing a bit more violence in PG-13 movies so they can slowly release even less R rated movies in the theaters. R rated movies make less money. They are trying to reach a broader audience. I also find it a bit disturbing that movies are allowed to show a certain amount of violence, and a lot of times violence that doesn't really show you how ugly violence can really be.......yet they have a problem with how many times someone can say a certain word in a film. There is something about that that is just wrong.....;)
Old 06-21-2007, 11:12 AM
Fear scented candle

The standards the MPAA uses to rate films are inherently flawed, but then again, so is any system that tries to objectively quantify something as subjective "offensive" material. they are just guidelines, and the film producers are using them as a tool to squeeze as much money as they can out of each movie. Movies are often not made for staying power thesze days; they arent trying to produce classics, they are trying to make movies that will reap in more money than they shelled out for it.

Blockbusters are essentially the same as the soda they sell at the theater, over sweetened, middle of the road, but full of bright colors and pop to get you to shell out way too much cash for something that you will enjoy for a little while, but will ultimately feel empty and have to pee.

That being said, all of us have some hollow hollywood money vacuum we love despite cheesiness and obvious design for suckering out of cash., I still love independance day in spite of myself.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Token Black Guy

I can live with it. The previous movies weren't really deserving of an R anyway. Watching Bruce fucking up the bad guys is good, wholesome fun for the entire family.

Now if you want to see some real gore, wait until some asshole kids start talking in the theater in front of me.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Tonight's the nght.

DIE HARD!

IN THE THEATER!:cool:
Old 06-21-2007, 06:48 PM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemal View Post
Now if you want to see some real gore, wait until some asshole kids start talking in the theater in front of me.
Just don't go see it at Union Station:D Hopefully it'll be at the Uptown!

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon