Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Hellraiser

Mr. Brooks Review

Mr. Brooks (2007)

Mr. Brooks is a fantastic portrayal of a madman’s mind. After watching the film, it has easily sealed a spot among my favorite films and on a par with the best of 2007. The film contains a somewhat bizarre storyline including a man with a bloodthirsty alter-ego, a vexatious witness to a murder, and a cop with problems of her own chasing down a serial killer infamously known as the "thumbprint killer."

Most of the film is extremely well-contrived. The “Hangman Killer” sub-plot is the most discernible thing that the film could do without. My favorite accessory to the film was the ashamed serial killer Mr. Brooks (played by Kevin Costner) talking to his alter-ego Marshall (played by William Hurt). Mr. Brooks is addicted to killing and is drastically trying to stop, though his darker side (Marshall) convinces him to keep doing it. The film leads you to believe that Mr. Brooks is trying to stop yet cannot help killing. Mr. Brooks, though a murderer, is the man in which the audience is set to believe is the “good guy.”

A man claiming his name is Mr. Smith (played by Dane Cook) witnesses Mr. Brooks commit a murder; a murder that Mr. Brooks had planned to be his last. Mr. Smith blackmails Mr. Brooks with photographs taken by him at the moment of the killing. Mr. Smith asks for an unusual favor from Brooks; to take him with him the next time he kills; to demonstrate a carefully crafted murder to him. Mr. Brooks, who recently planned never to murder again, is forced to murder once more with the blackmail that Mr. Smith has put forth.

The performances in the film are top-notch. Kevin Costner and William Hurt steal the show. The character of Mr. Smith was surprisingly well-acted by comedian Dane Cook. The film starts off in what looks like an apparent cop chasing a murderer plot, yet a good ways into the film originality overflows on the screen creating a genuinely engrossing, disturbing, bizarre, and splendidly frightening picture.

With the exception of the “Hangman Killer” sub-plot as I mentioned before, I rate Mr. Brooks as a perfect thriller superbly combining elements of Crime, Horror, Drama, and Mystery. Mr. Brooks is also undoubtedly one of the best serial killer pictures I’ve ever seen. I could go on and on about how much I've enjoyed this film. It comes highly, highly recommended from me.

Anyone else have an opinion on it?
Old 02-14-2009, 09:34 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Great review - Thank you!

I saw this in theatres when it first came out, and was utterly enthralled...but it seems that hardly anyone cares about it. Glad to see I wasn't the only one that loved it...such a sadly overlooked movie.

That said - the last 30 seconds or so absolutely RUIN it to a degree. SPOILER: You have no idea how PISSED I was when he fucking woke up. Up until that point the movie was nearly perfect, and such a FANTASTIC ending - but then they had to butcher it with a Hollywood cliché.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
Great review - Thank you!

I saw this in theatres when it first came out, and was utterly enthralled...but it seems that hardly anyone cares about it. Glad to see I wasn't the only one that loved it...such a sadly overlooked movie.

That said - the last 30 seconds or so absolutely RUIN it to a degree. SPOILER: You have no idea how PISSED I was when he fucking woke up. Up until that point the movie was nearly perfect, and such a FANTASTIC ending - but then they had to butcher it with a Hollywood cliché.
Thanks for the positive feedback.

I would have liked the ending a bit more if they had cut out the last 30 seconds as well, but I don't think it came even close as to ruin the film. Spoilers: He goes to sleep thinking everything is back to normal, and wakes up being afraid of his daughter. Still a nice touch.

I would love to see a directors cut be made cutting out the last few seconds and the hangman killer sub-plot. If those accessories were cut, it would be a damn near perfect film.

Last edited by re93animator; 02-14-2009 at 04:31 PM.