Old 09-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Scares Little Kids

I think they are good when the are sparse. Like stated above several times, we have too many of them, which doesn't make any particular one any special at all.

When Cloverfield did it, it was a breath of fresh air since no one was really attempting to make a big monster movie from that angle. It made money, and now EVERYONE does it and NONE do anything special with it. Its just another movie with a budget cut. Some have done it well, but I think if you are going to use this sub-genre you should do something special with it and make the decision late, not right away "lets make a handheld movie."

I think Paranormal Activity is rather fun to watch, and its kinda pushed the handheld camera idea into a "lets use several found footage cameras" idea.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Hellraiser

Personally don't mind, as long as the genre isn't dragging development away from other titles, which I don't think it is. Would also take a PA series over a degenerating Saw series any day.

Of the recent titles, V/H/S was more than good IMO. In fact there are quite a few that I must admit I like. It is a "genre" that almost always mates to horror, thus encouraging more people to get involved in something we all like. Can understand other people not feeling the same, I just don't agree.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicOne View Post
Personally don't mind, as long as the genre isn't dragging development away from other titles, which I don't think it is. Would also take a PA series over a degenerating Saw series any day.

Of the recent titles, V/H/S was more than good IMO. In fact there are quite a few that I must admit I like. It is a "genre" that almost always mates to horror, thus encouraging more people to get involved in something we all like. Can understand other people not feeling the same, I just don't agree.
I could do without either one of them, PA was too tedious and boring in too many places to make it enjoyable for me and then they made two more and I hear another is on the way. At least Saw was clever, once, they definitely didn't need to make five more or six, however many they're up to now.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:39 PM
From The Beyond

Another nail in the coffin for the hellraiser franchise was in last year's Revelations which started out in the first 30minutes as a found footage film-I kid you not even this once blessed series is now cashing in on this fad so that it looks almost formulaic and desperate. The fact that the rest of the film was basically a remake of the first film in a different set of situations but without Doug Bradley as pinhead doesn't help. Although saying that I did love The Last Broadcast, Grave Encounters, Trollhunter and The Tunnel. Not seen VHS yet though will have to check it out as I hope it can take this fad somewhere decent which Hellraiser:Revelations didn't.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 PM
FYFJoe

I honestly don't mind found footage, in some cases.

The first and third Paranormal Activity films were pretty good. Trollhunter was awesome, as mentioned before. Grave Encounters was entertaining. I watched on recently called "Tunnel" and it was probably one of my favorite "found footage" films as of late.

There's a new one coming out called "The Bay" which looks, meh. Then of course a literal "found footage" film with Ethan Hawke, Sinister, which looks pretty good honestly. (Yet it's done by hollywood I'm sure they'll fuck it up somehow)

I don't understand when people say "it's being done to death" though. Seriously, EVERYTHING horror related is being done to death; zombies, vampires, found footage... Yet we get something good out of it every once in a while. The Walking Dead, Dead Snow, Juan of the Dead for zombies. Thirst, Stakeland for vampires. The films mentioned above for found footage, it all comes with the territory.

Agree with what someone said earlier though, when found footage is used simply as the crutch to support the film makers low budget...weak.

sorry so long winded.

"FollowingYourFears.com"
Old 09-25-2012, 11:39 AM
HDC Idol

^^Gotta agree with the new kid.

I'm going to be honest - As most folks here know, I'm a fan of the found footage genre. HOWEVER, like any horror sub-genre, there are stronger movies and weaker movies. For example, I thought that Blair Witch is iconic... And I like the Paranormal Activity franchise... But there are weaker films like Atrocious.

I also think it's an acquired taste; I can totally understand why some people aren't a fan of the genre (at this point it's definitely filled with its own tropes and cliches that drive me crazy), but I like how it can be used to build up some very effectively creepy atmosphere... If done well.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Demon from Ago

Best "found footage" I've seen is The Blair Witch Project, Cannibal Holocaust, The Last Broadcast, V/H/S, REC., and The Last Exorcism.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:40 AM
FYFJoe

Did I seriously forget REC? Guess I did, oops.

Did you prefer the first or second in the Rec series? I haven't seen the third yet, heard it takes a new direction. I did enjoy the spin the second film put on the story though.

"FollowingYourFears.com"
Old 09-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyfjoe View Post
Did I seriously forget REC? Guess I did, oops.

Did you prefer the first or second in the Rec series? I haven't seen the third yet, heard it takes a new direction. I did enjoy the spin the second film put on the story though.
Haven't seen the second one yet.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:00 PM
BuyTheTicket, TakeTheRide

3rd one is great. Less creepiness, more awesomeness.