Old 05-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of gore View Post
yeah some of his characters are good,most are shit ,but this book plain fuckin bores me.im three quaters through the book now and the action has stopped again and gone back to trying too hard to be mysterious and have a lot of suspense .and long convos on stuff thats spose to help me put the plot together but just bores the shit out of me.i rearly do this but i might have close this book and start a Joe R lansdale.
dont get me wrong im not just into strait splatter punk,i do like suspense and all that but it at least has to be kinda interesting,same with the characters
Man I love Straub dude, I get it though, he can be a bit dry in places. I haven't read a book by him that has bored me enough to quit reading him yet though. I haven't read The Hellfire Club, so I suppose it may not be as good, every writer has a few of those.

I love me some splatterpunk too wiz, Lansdale, Skipp & Spector, McCammon, Schow, Laymon, etc. It wasn't until about six years ago that I had even heard of the splatterpunks. I grew up reading King, Straub, Koontz, Campbell, Lovecraft, and the likes. Splatterpunk has opened me up to other writers, some old, some new, and I don't feel that the level of violence detracts from the exceptional writing these authors are putting to page. Many of them have just as much prose and poetry to it that the King's and the Bradbury's do.

Last edited by Bob Gray; 05-16-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
Man I love Straub dude, I get it though, he can be a bit dry in places. I haven't read a book by him that has bored me enough to quit reading him yet though. I haven't read The Hellfire Club, so I suppose it may not be as good, every writer has a few of those.

I love me some splatterpunk too wiz, Lansdale, Skipp & Spector, McCammon, Schow, Laymon, etc. It wasn't until about six years ago that I had even heard of the splatterpunks. I grew up reading King, Straub, Koontz, Campbell, Lovecraft, and the likes. Splatterpunk has opened me up to other writers, some old, some new, and I don't feel that the level of violence detracts from the exceptional writing these authors are putting to page. Many of them have just as much prose and poetry to it that the King's and the Bradbury's do.
iv read straubs in "the night room"and that was crap too,only tried him again coz i read a good short story of his "mr club and mr cuff".Stephin king quoted "the hellfire club "is the best book straub has written,that was awhile ago, but it says something.

Last edited by wizard of gore; 05-16-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Bob Gray;925053]Man I love Straub dudeQUOTE]

yeah but you liked "Geralds game" :p
Old 05-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Demon from Ago

[QUOTE=wizard of gore;925060]
Quote:
Man I love Straub dudeQUOTE]

yeah but you liked "Geralds game" :p
Damn right!!! :P
Old 05-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
iv read straubs in "the night room"and that was crap too,only tried him again coz i read a good short story of his "mr club and mr cuff".Stephin king quoted "the hellfire club "is the best book straub has written,that was awhile ago, but it says something.
Ghost Story, Shadowland, Floating Dragon, and A Dark Matter are all top notch IMO
Old 05-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ghost Story, Shadowland, Floating Dragon, and A Dark Matter are all top notch IMO
i have "dark matter"but i also have a Joe R Lonsdale, ramsey campbell a tom lebbon and a catlin r kiernan which are looking much more attractive at the mo
Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Undead

Saw : ][ great one !
Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
i have "dark matter"but i also have a Joe R Lonsdale, ramsey campbell a tom lebbon and a catlin r kiernan which are looking much more attractive at the mo
You certainly can't go wrong with Lansdale, Campbell, or Lebbon, that's for sure. Straub is not for everyone, I can concede to that, I just happen to be one who loves his work.

Have you read Campbell's Coldprint yet? It has some great Cthulhu Mythos stories in it.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
You certainly can't go wrong with Lansdale, Campbell, or Lebbon, that's for sure. Straub is not for everyone, I can concede to that, I just happen to be one who loves his work.

Have you read Campbell's Coldprint yet? It has some great Cthulhu Mythos stories in it.
no,damn i sore it at the shop but didnt get it,
started reading the first couple chapters of Lansdale,reminds me of Laymon so far..its good
Old 05-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
no,damn i sore it at the shop but didnt get it,
started reading the first couple chapters of Lansdale,reminds me of Laymon so far..its good
Which Lansdale is it? I loved Nightrunners & The Drive-In