Old 10-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Wanna Join?

Smile The Mighty Zander Himself

Its artwork like that of Paul Alexander that makes collecting science fiction so much fun. This wildly talented artist is responsible for some of the most memorable covers ever to grace the genre. Landscapes tend to be a mixture of technology and rubble, sometimes sprinkled with alien creatures all the more real due to their fierceness. Mechanisms are clean, colorful, menacing, with the power to make you wish you were placed squarely in the midst of danger. The covers he did for David Drake's HAMMER'S SLAMMERS, Robert Silverberg's TO LIVE AGAIN, and THE BEST FROM F&SF 25TH ANNIVERSARY ANTHOLOGY are undiluted masterpieces while PATTERNS OF CHAOS by Colin Kapp is second only to Frank R. Paul's THE FLYING BUZZ-SAW. Strangely, Paul Alexander is absent from the Clute-Nicholls Encyclopedia of Science Fiction. An artist of his magnitude needs to be remembered by the genre he so well championed with his work, not slapped in the face with artless neglect.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 10-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Banned

Bastard, you stole my idea!:D:D

Seriously, I've seen lots of his art, but I went hunting on the 'nut yesterday, and couldn't find anything of substance about him. Too bad, cause he has a lot of good stuff to see. I'll keep looking, and drop off any links I find.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Wanna Join?

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festered View Post
Bastard, you stole my idea!:D:D

Seriously, I've seen lots of his art, but I went hunting on the 'nut yesterday, and couldn't find anything of substance about him. Too bad, cause he has a lot of good stuff to see. I'll keep looking, and drop off any links I find.
Thank you, that'd be great. Curious, did he do anything else besides sf?

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 10-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfear View Post
Thank you, that'd be great. Curious, did he do anything else besides sf?
I'm only familiar with his fantasy work, myself, but I'm sure he went thru various stages in his career before landing on the style and subject matter that made him successful. Most artists do. Picasso went thru 13 phases before arriving at the style that made him famous. Believe it or not, his early portraiture was fairly realistic. Even the eyeballs were on opposite sides of the nose.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Waste Disposer

The only link I found with some good information about him is in AskART.com
Old 10-14-2008, 06:50 PM
HDC Idol

I think that this thread should have more pictures.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 10-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Banned

None available on the net. One site features one of his more well-known pieces, but that's about it.