Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing

Old 05-08-2016, 12:49 PM
Little Boo

Cool Self-Published Real-Life Horror Novella - "VonCosel Y. Hoyos" ETC

Hi. I'm JD Moores. I'm new here and to the horror genre (though I've seen a LOT of the more famous horror films... though I'm sure there are much better out there). Whatever the genre, I find the best fiction to have an iota of truth to it, and whether it's Frankenstein, Dracula, Psycho or the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the history of horror "fiction" seems to rely heavily on unspoken truths about individuals as well as society, at large.

That's why I've written VONCOSEL Y. HOYOS: ETERNAL OBSESSION - a novella which I also narrated on 2 CD's, now for sale on Amazon.com. I was born in Florida, I live here now, and the story of "Count" Carl VonCosel and Elena Hoyos is one of Florida's most infamous urban legends - a sort of gothic romance about an old German man and a tragic Cuban beauty set against the backdrop of idyllic Key West. A lot has been written about the "incident" at the core of the reason these two individuals are still known and talked about today, but few have tried to seriously dramatize or put a new or unique spin on the story.

That's where my novella comes in, narrated by a reporter that traveled to interview VonCosel in 1940 and never returned! The book starts with "official" notice of a strange document found containing the reporter's account of the story based on the interview and the reporter's personal attachment to the events and to VonCosel stemming from a then-recent experience with profound grief. The actual identity and personal history of the narrator and why it's relevant is a surprise saved for the end.

I'm not going to link to Amazon here, but do check out my homepage - http://www.jdmoores.com. In the meantime, I'd love to get input on where I can find some good, modern horror fiction to READ, myself - either in bookstores or online... or both. I'M NOT JUST HERE TO SELF-PROMOTE. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg voncosel-fb-ad.jpg (15.2 KB, 0 views)

Tags
history, novella, self-published, true story, web-site