Old 12-16-2018, 04:45 AM
Evil Dead

The Blob. A fun rollercoaster ride that delivers what it promises. Makes you want to watch the original and the upcoming remake.

If you get a chance to (re)watch it, keep your eyes on the cast and the stuff they went on to do: Saw, The Walking Dead, Entourage, ER,... A lot of talent there.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:30 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
The Blob. A fun rollercoaster ride that delivers what it promises. Makes you want to watch the original and the upcoming remake.

If you get a chance to (re)watch it, keep your eyes on the cast and the stuff they went on to do: Saw, The Walking Dead, Entourage, ER,... A lot of talent there.
Who from The Blob is on The Walking Dead? I took a peek at the cast, but nothing jumps out at me.

Shawnee Smith was the best part of The Blob. Not bad. Had some good segments. Wasn't happy with the ending, rather safe, obvious and cliche.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:30 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Who from The Blob is on The Walking Dead? I took a peek at the cast, but nothing jumps out at me.
Jeffrey Demunn went on to play Dale in The walking dead. Quite a change though between this

and this
Old 12-16-2018, 12:00 PM
ventricle

Thanks, I forgot about him. I probably remember him better from The Blob than TWD.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:41 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Thanks, I forgot about him. I probably remember him better from The Blob than TWD.
It also doesn't help that Dale was killed way back in season 2. On that bloody farm, of all places.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:03 AM
Evil Dead

lesson from the Blob

If a meteorite lands in your yard, and it has slime oozing out of it, STAY AWAY. I would bit an upside-down garbage can over it and call the bomb squad.

Actually, what the Blob did to people is not quite as gruesome as what happened to the people in Lovecraft's "The colour out of space." I wonder if that was ever made into a movie?
Old 12-20-2018, 11:36 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoneus1957 View Post
If a meteorite lands in your yard, and it has slime oozing out of it, STAY AWAY.
That's what WE have been telling people, but these lunkheads just won't listen.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:44 AM
Evil Dead

DAY OF THE DEAD (1985). As a big Romero Zombie fan (NIGHT and DAWN are in my top 10), read the FANGORIA articles before DAY's release and was at the theater the third day it was out, Recall the ushers having conniptions keeping underage kids out of the theater!
While I thought it had great Savini FX and a barnstormer of an opening, just was not that impressed overall..the film just did not feel complete.
A couple of years later, saw a VHS rental of it for $1 and after a couple of viewings, did not think it was so bad and by the fourth viewing,I really felt that this was a pretty good little film. News travelled slower in those days and after reading about George's tribulations making it, may affection went up for it.
Although I think NIGHT and DAWN are better (Similar to the original Star Wars trilogy), enjoy this one very much. Savini's work is boffo and some good performances here, particularly by Joe Pilato, whose Rhoades is SUCH a asshole that he's almost likable.
Have met many Romero people at Conventions and for the most part, ALL of them were great. Joe is probably the most fun as He stays "In Character", but truly engaging and cool sense of humor. ****
Old 12-22-2018, 10:26 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
DAY OF THE DEAD (1985). As a big Romero Zombie fan (NIGHT and DAWN are in my top 10), read the FANGORIA articles before DAY's release and was at the theater the third day it was out, Recall the ushers having conniptions keeping underage kids out of the theater!
While I thought it had great Savini FX and a barnstormer of an opening, just was not that impressed overall..the film just did not feel complete.
A couple of years later, saw a VHS rental of it for $1 and after a couple of viewings, did not think it was so bad and by the fourth viewing,I really felt that this was a pretty good little film. News travelled slower in those days and after reading about George's tribulations making it, may affection went up for it.
Although I think NIGHT and DAWN are better (Similar to the original Star Wars trilogy), enjoy this one very much. Savini's work is boffo and some good performances here, particularly by Joe Pilato, whose Rhoades is SUCH a asshole that he's almost likable.
Have met many Romero people at Conventions and for the most part, ALL of them were great. Joe is probably the most fun as He stays "In Character", but truly engaging and cool sense of humor. ****
Day of the Dead is pretty fascinating, it keeps your interest, has some genuine intrigue and suspense going on within the compound group. Horror-wise, we get a glimpse with the Dr's more Savini inspired anatomical experimentations. A finely written scene in John's cozy dwelling, between Sarah and John (the rasta helo pilot), suggesting their research is folly. There's a lot of unexpected subjects in Day, which is good because the long mall stretch in Dawn was completely played out. Some critics bash the 'over acting' acting and others the lengthy verbal fighting, but I'm not sure they really would have wanted more of the same if they got it.

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-23-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:34 AM
Evil Dead

ATTACK OF THE PHANTOMS (1979). By 1978, KISS was IT for Me. Loved Alice Cooper Group, Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugent, The Runaways, Aerosmith, etc, but NO ONE got my blood pumping like they did. Had four full scrapbooks, posters all over the bedroom, every album, the Bubble Gum cards and God only knows what else.If anything, this mania made me more industrious, working whatever odd job I could supplement my allowance with to afford this stuff.
VERY disappointed by the movie when we saw in in Oct 1978...even at 16, felt it was awfully juvenile and stupid. Even more annoyed was one of the Movie Tie In magazines listed the songs that would be performed and really, only "I Stole Your Love" sounds live and pretty good too.
AOTP is inside KISSOLOGY #2 and while it has some music from the Solo albums instead of the canned TV music, still awful script, acting and it's embarrassing to be able to see stunt doubles for Ace and Peter, even with the makeup on. certain charm and definitely of the period, but just a Stinkbomb overall. For a more entertaining view, watch THE TOMORROW SHOW 10/31/79 where an inebriated Ace steals the proceedings, much to Gene's very obvious displeasure. *