Old 12-14-2018, 07:34 AM
Evil Dead

scary nuns

We seem to be stretching the idea of horror movie to some movies that most people don't fit in that category. This isn't a complaint. I will seize any excuse to discuss some of my favorite movies.
I sometimes find myself whistling a certain tune, and think "What am I whistling?" Then I wack my head an cry "Good grief! It's the theme music to The Trouble with Angels, a 1960s Disney live-action comedy starring Hayley Mills. Well, it's a horror movie if you find nuns scary (The Nun.)
Old 12-16-2018, 01:40 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Sounds pretty cool.

Shot in real time? You mean with shot with one take, like Rope? Or that it follows one linear timeline, without jumping ahead in time nor flashbacks, like The Big Heat (which stays with Bogart)?

You wrote, "who finds circumstances changing from pure pluck and bad luck." Did you mean changing back and forth from pure luck to pure bad luck?
The "Real Time" means. as far as I know, that the events take up the same amount of time as the length of the film.

Without trying to give away too much of the film, the Pluck is when he is doing better than he or anyone else thought he would be doing and the Bad Luck is when the outcome is different than what was expected.
Convoluted as all get out, I will concede, but hope this clears it up a bit before You actually see the film
What Bogart film is that? THE BIG HEAT is by Fritz Lang with Glenn Ford. The Bogie one doesn't sound familiar to Me. Love Bogart, so any info You give would be appreciated-Thanks!
Old 12-16-2018, 04:37 AM
Evil Dead

It feels odd having to post Psycho in here since the movie still holds up today.

I definetily want to see it again.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:18 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
The "Real Time" means. as far as I know, that the events take up the same amount of time as the length of the film.

Without trying to give away too much of the film, the Pluck is when he is doing better than he or anyone else thought he would be doing and the Bad Luck is when the outcome is different than what was expected.
Convoluted as all get out, I will concede, but hope this clears it up a bit before You actually see the film
What Bogart film is that? THE BIG HEAT is by Fritz Lang with Glenn Ford. The Bogie one doesn't sound familiar to Me. Love Bogart, so any info You give would be appreciated-Thanks!
Sorry, I meant The Big Sleep (1946). It was the big something.

Yeah, they stay with Bogart in every scene, or almost, near by outside a room. And it's over a fairly short period of time. So it's not real time. Rope is a real time film.

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-16-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:35 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Sorry, I meant The Big Sleep (1946). It was the big something.

Yeah, they stay with Bogart in every scene, or almost, near by outside a room. And it's over a fairly short period of time. So it's not real time. Rope is a real time film.
Well, thanks for the info. TBS is a great film!

DRACULA (1931). For Xmas, my Supervisor got me a six pack of the Classic Universal Monsters, saying to me how he was "...taking a chance You might have these!" The set includes D, FRANKENSTEIN, THE MUMMY, THE INVISIBLE MAN, BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and THE WOLF MAN. While I do have all of them, this edition does have real sharp picture quality and additional Special Features, which will make this a keeper.
As I've said before, DRACULA is a well made film with SO MANY good moments and then so much dullness...so incredibly stagey and showing Director Todd Browning's inexperience/unease with Talkies. But the good is so good (particularly in the Castle) that I'll just usually read while the dull stuff is playing and still throw out the for Bela Lugosi and Dwight Frye. **1/2

Next up is FRANKENSTEIN....
Old 12-19-2018, 05:14 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Well, thanks for the info. TBS is a great film!

DRACULA (1931). For Xmas, my Supervisor got me a six pack of the Classic Universal Monsters, saying to me how he was "...taking a chance You might have these!" The set includes D, FRANKENSTEIN, THE MUMMY, THE INVISIBLE MAN, BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and THE WOLF MAN. While I do have all of them, this edition does have real sharp picture quality and additional Special Features, which will make this a keeper.
As I've said before, DRACULA is a well made film with SO MANY good moments and then so much dullness...so incredibly stagey and showing Director Todd Browning's inexperience/unease with Talkies. But the good is so good (particularly in the Castle) that I'll just usually read while the dull stuff is playing and still throw out the for Bela Lugosi and Dwight Frye. **1/2

Next up is FRANKENSTEIN....
That's a very nice Universal set of films! I'm sure that wasn't cheap. Well, at least that wouldn't have been cheap in the recent past. What kind of special features do they have? I wonder if these directors or actors ever did a commentary on the films? Probably wouldn't have been recorded while they were watching the film (like they do today) but a smart guy could line up commentary during the film that fits (although I'm sure there wouldn't be commentary for every scene).

I think 2.5 (out of 5?) is the lowest I've seen you give Dracula. It has some slow spots, and I think Harken, the father, Mina and Lucy are rather drab, but Bela, Frye and Van Slone are really good, and they drive the film. I tend to go by my first viewing, which was during the day with my mom, and I was riveted. I'd never watch the film late night when I'm sleepy, unless I want to sleep there, and get woken up with a scream.

I watched THE SET-UP (1949), and maybe I was checking it out too late at night, but found it a little humdrum... I really liked the first 30min setup or so, the couple, the boxing life of the new guy and mental degradation of the older boxer, and the manager taking the bribe. But the boxing sequences are pretty lame to be going on so long. The ending seemed a bit anticlimactic, in the sense what happened was about what I expected, and not very dramatic or dynamic, and the the ending seemed pretty abrupt. Maybe it sounds silly, but I wished they had condensed the film into an hour and then the next 30 mins into their new life.

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-19-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:06 AM
Evil Dead

real time

Movies shot in "real time." "Real time" is a phrase we didn't use to have a use for. Like when I go to a coffee shop and ask for my iced coffee in a "glass glass."
Old 12-21-2018, 01:12 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
That's a very nice Universal set of films! I'm sure that wasn't cheap. Well, at least that wouldn't have been cheap in the recent past. What kind of special features do they have? I wonder if these directors or actors ever did a commentary on the films? Probably wouldn't have been recorded while they were watching the film (like they do today) but a smart guy could line up commentary during the film that fits (although I'm sure there wouldn't be commentary for every scene).

I think 2.5 (out of 5?) is the lowest I've seen you give Dracula. It has some slow spots, and I think Harken, the father, Mina and Lucy are rather drab, but Bela, Frye and Van Slone are really good, and they drive the film. I tend to go by my first viewing, which was during the day with my mom, and I was riveted. I'd never watch the film late night when I'm sleepy, unless I want to sleep there, and get woken up with a scream.

I watched THE SET-UP (1949), and maybe I was checking it out too late at night, but found it a little humdrum... I really liked the first 30min setup or so, the couple, the boxing life of the new guy and mental degradation of the older boxer, and the manager taking the bribe. But the boxing sequences are pretty lame to be going on so long. The ending seemed a bit anticlimactic, in the sense what happened was about what I expected, and not very dramatic or dynamic, and the the ending seemed pretty abrupt. Maybe it sounds silly, but I wished they had condensed the film into an hour and then the next 30 mins into their new life.
Personally, I wouldn't have minded seeing some of their new life...some happiness was needed.
The set I got has new Extras for DRACULA, FRANKENSTEIN, THE MUMMY and THE WOLFMAN, so 4 out of six not bad. Along with all the original extras are some new commentaries for D, F and TM and good docs on Bela, Boris, Lon and Jack Pierce.

THE MUMMY (1932). This one I appreciate more as I get older. While it's still very slow paced and almost a remake of DRACULA in many parts, still has some kickass moments, one of the best openers ever for any film and such a tragic love story throughout. One of my favorite Karloff turns and LOVE the extreme close up of him after Edwards "I'd break your dried flesh to pieces"...apparently the Film makers did too as it's repeated a few times! ****
Old 12-22-2018, 10:00 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't have minded seeing some of their new life...some happiness was needed.
The set I got has new Extras for DRACULA, FRANKENSTEIN, THE MUMMY and THE WOLFMAN, so 4 out of six not bad. Along with all the original extras are some new commentaries for D, F and TM and good docs on Bela, Boris, Lon and Jack Pierce.

THE MUMMY (1932). This one I appreciate more as I get older. While it's still very slow paced and almost a remake of DRACULA in many parts, still has some kickass moments, one of the best openers ever for any film and such a tragic love story throughout. One of my favorite Karloff turns and LOVE the extreme close up of him after Edwards "I'd break your dried flesh to pieces"...apparently the Film makers did too as it's repeated a few times! ****
And it is steller looking (the mummy). Do they have any commentaries that play with the film? What do they have for the mummy?

Old 12-23-2018, 01:08 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
And it is steller looking (the mummy). Do they have any commentaries that play with the film? What do they have for the mummy?
Happy to help!
DRACULA-David Skal (a great one) and Steve Haberman
FRANKENSTEIN-Rudy Behlmer, Christopher Freyling
THE MUMMY-Paul Jensen, Rick Baker/Scott Essman/Steve Haberman/ Bob Burns/Brent Armstrong
THE INVISIBLE MAN-Rudy Behlmer
BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN-Scott MacQueen
THE WOLF MAN-Tom W order a eaver and an new feature about the film.
Enjoy the old ones and also the new, but would have liked Greg Mank to do a new one or two

PATHS OF GLORY (1957). Early Stanley Kubrick that has lots of zip along with the great camera work You would associate with him. Takes place during WW1 where things are at a standstill and two French generals (Adolphe Menjou and George Macready are both despicable) order an attack on a German position that is pretty much a disaster. Instead of taking blame, they choose three scapegoats and it's up to Kirk Douglas (VERY good here) to try to help them. Fantastic film on all levels with an amazing battle sequence, sets and performances, especially by Douglas, Ralph Meeker and Timothy Carey. Was banned in France after its release and may still be. *****