Old 03-03-2024, 01:42 AM
Evil Dead

Moon of the Wolf 1972 ★★★

If you want to be mean, you can find ways to scoff at this flick. And it's certainly no gamechanger.

But you can you enjoy it for what it is: 1/3 tv movie melodrama, 1/3 whodunnit and 1/3 werewolf sauce for some added flavor. Nothing special, but a good pace, okay storytelling and a good cast. A lot of faces that look familiar somehow, but you cannot quite put your finger on where you know them from.

For who is this? Honestly, I don't know. This may be a (early) seventies movie, but the overall feel is more sexties, if not fifties. And the werewolf make-up even goes back to Lon Chainey's version of The Wolf Man. Conclusion: Something for an evening when you need something a little more lightweight.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:03 AM
Evil Dead

The Thing 1982 ★★★★★

The infamous scenes with Doc and the blood test are so intense I kind of forgot about the first outing of the thing in the kennel. Holy crap.

Madman 1981 ★★

Uninspired slasher. Annoying characters. Mostly weak sauce kills.
Old 03-03-2024, 01:02 PM
Evil Dead

A Nightmare on Elm Street 1984 ★★★★★

When you notice all the details, you really understand why this is a five star classic.

Dracula 1974 ★★★

Time for a take on one of the classics to wrap up this extra long month. February XL, lol.

In this one, Jack Palance takes on the role of Dracula. Let's get the obvious out of the way first. No, he does not have Lugosi's charisma and he does not have to. He does however bring something new to the table.

In what seems like the spirit of seventies action, this Dracula is less a classic aristocrat vampire and more like a general Bond villain, henchmen and all. In the process also turning Dracula into a bit of a bully as well. What with the way he treats Renfield at the start.

But Palance is okay as Dracula and Von Helsing and Arthur were okay as well. And at least, they filled the one gap left by the original masterpiece. Here, Dracula gets the epic death scene a character of his status deserves.
Old 03-05-2024, 01:15 AM
Evil Dead

HONKY (1971). With this kind of title, You would consider this to be more of a "Blaxploitation" film, but it's more of a love story/ character analysis/road trip/ unforseen events. Lower middle Class White Boy (John nelson, later in SHARKS TREASURE) spots lovely affluent Soil Sister Brenda Sykes getting high at a Pep rally and a romance develops. Other than the usual problems of a romance during that time are their respective backgrounds; Brenda's family comes from wealth (Her Dad is William Marshall, BLACULA himself!), but she seems to want to deal drugs and rebel from that. John's family are pure Archie Bunker types and it's almost beyond surreal to hear Marion Ross (as his mother) use an ethnic slur. All kinds of events happen and it gets quite gritty towards the end, but not much of a wrap-up. I was interested, but felt it could have finished with more style. **1/2
Old 03-12-2024, 04:32 AM
Evil Dead

YOUNG DOCTORS IN LOVE (1982). Screwball comedy that is a parody of TV Soap Operas dealing with medicine like GENERAL HOSPITAL; in fact, quite a few cast members of GH make cameos like Jackie Zeman, Kin Shriner (A girl I dated before Mrs FD told Me I looked like his character) and I believe Demi Moore's first film. Good cast with Dabney Coleman, Michael McKean, Sean Young and others. It has the aura of just throwing every gag at the wall to see what will stick. A lot of duds, but a lot more that hit the mark and I must say I found this quite entertaining. ***1/2
Old Yesterday, 03:03 AM
Little Boo

THE SHINING 1980 - It's a reinterpretation of the "Dies Irae" from Hector Berlioz's "Symphonie fantastique". The story that the symphony tells is one of unrequited love and its emotional extremes. By this point, the protagonist has accepted that his feelings for the object of his affection will never be reciprocated. He's attempted to commit suicide via opium overdose, but the amount he took wasn't strong enough to kill him. While under the effects of opium, he experiences a manic fever dream where he has killed his beloved, has been executed, and is now in Hell witnessing a witches' sabbath.