Old 12-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Midnight toker

Spinal Tap.:cool:
Old 12-18-2009, 09:46 AM
For Vendetta

Again. Just to have the recent benchmark of sci-fi fresh in my mind when I go to see Avatar tomorrow.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:46 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
I think making it 'contempory' ruined my believe in the naivity of Dourif's character. It wasn't a terrible film - i just loved the book a lot..
Yeah, that's pretty much how I felt. Definitely not as potent as the book, and it just comes off a lot goofier in the movie.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Get ahold of yourself.

Send a message via AIM to massacre man
Santa's Slay
Old 12-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker

I went into the theater really wanting to like this film, I really did.

And I wasn't disappointed. This was one of my best Cinema experiences ever. I watched it in 3D, and I suggest you do the same. Cameron did a brilliant job of creating the forest moon of Pandora. The forests themselves were so inventive I couldn't begin to fathom how he came up with some of the things, and the life on the planet was, while not quite as original, still breathtaking. That is of course excluding the Na'vi who were incredibly inventively made.

The storyline kept moving along as a decent pace, and whilst it slowed around the half way line, it quickly picked up pace in a wonderful yet devastating scene. And scenes like this were not rare. Throughout the entire picture I found myself feeling for the characters in a way that is not common for me. Whilst I did not get choked up I was so immersed in the scenes that some of them did get me inside. And this was because of the message it had. It was very relevant to events going on on Earth. I usually get annoyed when I feel a film is preaching to me, especially about the environment. But not this film. The execution is spot on, and it truly does make you think about certain current events.

On top of the incredible creativity and perfect execution, the characterization is brilliant for the most part and the acting is truly without fault. They were, as I said, so convincing in the parts they played that when certain scenes came crashing down I felt for these characters. The CGI is breathtaking, incredibly ambitious and totally believable. Sigourney Weaver in particular impressed me, even more so than usual. Her character is easily one of the best she's played in a long time. And Sam Worthington truly takes on the role of Jake Sully.

The score, whilst at times a bit old fashioned Sci Fi, complements the film greatly and the 3D effect takes the whole thing literally to a new dimension. If I were to pick a fault with this film it would be that certain parts weren't so original. Whilst they worked perfectly, I saw elements of the force in there. However, with so many inventive Sci Fi films it's natural that there would be similarities.

I can't stress enough how much you should see this film. Don't wait for it to come out on DVD if you want to get the full experience. And don't settle for 2D. Don't settle for a bad seat in the theater and don't get up to go to the toilet half way through. You will regret it. Whilst nothing could, you don't want to risk anything spoiling this flick for you.

On my top ten films list.

5 stars, 4 thumbs up, ten out of ten. In short, top marks.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 12-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Get ahold of yourself.

Send a message via AIM to massacre man
I'm surprised so many people liked Avatar, I didn't and despite all of the reviews, still don't have any interest in seeing it whatsoever. Normally when a non-Bay Blockbuster comes out I'm immediately "Hmmm. I'll check it out." at least, but... Meh.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Waste Disposer

I can't believe anyone could dislike this film.

I saw it with my ex and my kids and they LOVED it, almost 3 hours long and my 3 year sat mesmerized ..except for 2 potty breaks.

It was the best movie I have ever seen in my LIFETIME ...and I'm old.

I cried, I laughed, my jaw literally dropped a dozen times at the visuals.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend this film in 2D, 3D, whatthefuckeverD..just SEE IT!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
Jackie Chan's real life body guard had to step in to do the fight finale due to an injury of the original cast.
That guy is awesome, he should just legally change his name to Crazy Legs.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:54 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Ink (2009)

Nice indie fantasy with a pretty impressive & interesting plot but falls bit slow in the last half. Worth a watch.

>>: B-

Gamer (2009)

Bit messy overall.

>>: C-
Old 12-19-2009, 02:02 AM
For Vendetta

Wow...this has totally swept me off my feet.

Wonderful plot and script, neat and pacy direction, near-perfect characters and flawless cinematography, and some of the most gorgeous and exquisite CGI you will ever get to see in a movie in your entire life.

Watch it. Preferably in IMAX if you can. You wont find a better Christmas gift than Avatar for your family this year.