Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-27-2008, 06:14 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
...Nice finally to see Paul Rudd in a lead role for a change. Personally i thought he was the highlight of "Knocked up" and i've wished to see more of him ever since...
See Two Days. If you like Paul Rudd, it's essential viewing. Hell, I think everyone should check it out anyway...great, really overlooked little movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
In The Heat of the Night.

Amazing flick which literally blew me away. Being a late 60s flick, it is rooted in the realistic racism of those times, but Poitier and Steiger make us feel as if we stand there ourselves, facing the fidgety heat which hits us like waves.

Wonderful atmosphere, and a great mystery whodunnit to boot. Highly recommended to everyone who loves atmospheric flicks - Fortunato, NE, Rod, Alky, Return, Urge, Newb, Hellfire, Chrono, etc. All of you need to see this one.

Rating - * * * * ½
Seen it, love it...keep forgetting to buy it. Really have to watch it again.

----------

Ok, so I've been absent for a bit - my monitor conked out on me and works been too busy for me to sneak online. Here's what I've watched in the meantime, though I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple:

The Duchess

A very good script and fantastic performances, but the bland direction kind of brings it down a few notches. Still, this is the best work I've seen from Knightley - between this and Atonement, I think she's easily one of the best actresses of her generation. Ralph Fiennes is also at the top of his game...a must-see for fans of either of the stars, but otherwise it's nothing to write home about.

Cube

2nd viewing...love this movie. Put the any of Saw movies to shame (#2 obviously took a cue from this one) - smart, snappy script, brilliant set design, and a great ending. The acting could use some work and some CGI effects are a bit rough, but otherwise it's one of the best sci-fi/horror flicks of the decade.

Nightmare on Elm Street

Been a long while since I watched this...even though a string of lame sequels kind of dilute it in the memory, this really is a classic. Too bad Craven didn't stay this innovative...

Friday the 13th

Still pretty good, but multiple viewing are starting to kill it for me. Doesn't hold up nearly as well as Part 3 - still very good though. As far as slashers go, the atmosphere is fantastic.

Watched it with a buddy of mine who'd never seen an F13 movie...needless to say, the real killer came as quite a surprise to him, considering he went in expecting the hockey mask and machete.

Eraserhead

The definition of a masterpiece. Go read Alky's blurb on it for the Underrrated Top 100 list - sums it up PERFECTLY.

Boogeyman 2

Yes, I watched it...I was in the mood for a really bad horror flick, and when I saw this at the store it seemed to fit the bill, seeing as the first is one of the most god-awful pieces of dreck I've EVER seen. And you know what? I was kind of let down. It wasn't really that bad. I'd never go so far as to recommend it, but it's just as good as any other modern day slasher. The characters are cliched and I saw the ending coming in the first 2 minutes, but it's got some decent kills. It's certainly not a good movie, but it's not even in the same league of awfulness as the first one.

Dr. No

Finally got around to watching me some Bond - other than Thunderball when I was around 7, I'd never seen a Bond movie. Throughly enjoyed this one, I'll be watching more in the near future for sure.

...I think that's it.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:26 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post

Cube

2nd viewing...love this movie. Put the any of Saw movies to shame (#2 obviously took a cue from this one) - smart, snappy script, brilliant set design, and a great ending. The acting could use some work and some CGI effects are a bit rough, but otherwise it's one of the best sci-fi/horror flicks of the decade.

Nightmare on Elm Street

Been a long while since I watched this...even though a string of lame sequels kind of dilute it in the memory, this really is a classic. Too bad Craven didn't stay this innovative...

Friday the 13th

Still pretty good, but multiple viewing are starting to kill it for me. Doesn't hold up nearly as well as Part 3 - still very good though. As far as slashers go, the atmosphere is fantastic.

Watched it with a buddy of mine who'd never seen an F13 movie...needless to say, the real killer came as quite a surprise to him, considering he went in expecting the hockey mask and machete.

Eraserhead

The definition of a masterpiece. Go read Alky's blurb on it for the Underrrated Top 100 list - sums it up PERFECTLY.

Boogeyman 2

Yes, I watched it...I was in the mood for a really bad horror flick, and when I saw this at the store it seemed to fit the bill, seeing as the first is one of the most god-awful pieces of dreck I've EVER seen. And you know what? I was kind of let down. It wasn't really that bad. I'd never go so far as to recommend it, but it's just as good as any other modern day slasher. The characters are cliched and I saw the ending coming in the first 2 minutes, but it's got some decent kills. It's certainly not a good movie, but it's not even in the same league of awfulness as the first one.

Dr. No

Finally got around to watching me some Bond - other than Thunderball when I was around 7, I'd never seen a Bond movie. Throughly enjoyed this one, I'll be watching more in the near future for sure.

...I think that's it.

Dude, it's Thankgsgiving, not Halloween. :D

Thanks for the rec, Return. I'll go see it soon.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
Quote:
Dude, it's Thankgsgiving, not Halloween. :D

Thanks for the rec, Return. I'll go see it soon.
It wasn't Thanksgiving here....:)
Old 11-28-2008, 08:09 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmacabre View Post
It wasn't Thanksgiving here....:)

Here neither.

But i'm sure it was in Returns part of the world. Poor bastard..
Old 11-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
Quote:
Here neither.

:rolleyes:
Old 11-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Tenant

Quote:
Here neither.

He's Canadian, buck-o, so I'd say no.
You are aware of the purpose of Thanksgiving, correct?
Old 11-28-2008, 08:28 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post
He's Canadian, buck-o, so I'd say no.
You are aware of the purpose of Thanksgiving, correct?
It's something about giving thanks, right?
Old 11-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:

green = Canada

white = USA

Old 11-28-2008, 08:40 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
green = Canada

white = USA

LOL

Beautiful.

But Returns location is A Dark Place SOUTH of Hell. How can that not be The States?? ;)
Old 11-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Evil Alive

Ilsa She Wolf the SS - Funny and twisted naziploitation flick. The gore and acting were so fake I had to laugh. Overall decent movie.
5.5/10

Changeling - It was much better than I had hoped for. Angelina Jolie was very convincing in her role. Good drama, acting, character development and an effective supporting cast 7.75/10.

Grindhouse - One of the funnest movie experiences I've had in a while. Both movies were awesome in their own way. 9/10 just because it doesn't get much better for this type of film.