Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-07-2011, 02:46 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Spalovac mrtvol aka The Cremator (1969)

Karel Kopfrkingl has the perfect life: a beautiful and faithful wife and two lovely children. His income allows him to surround his family with art and beauty. And more importantly he LOVES his job as a crematorium operator or the title character The Cremator. He finds the idea of burning people every day in the crematorium very much practical as he believes that cremation relieves earthly suffering and sends the soul to Heaven much faster than a standard burial. But as you peel back the layers of this weirdly uncanny character, you will find there is a lot more going on than just Kopfrkingl's desperate attempt to raise his position in life.

Kopfrkingl got the full camera attention every second of the film. The film shares his sadistic thoughts, reveals his gradually developing madness along with his tainted logic through a time to time monologue of his from the beginning to end. This is one of those rare psychological horror features where the audience senses it all the way with a hallucinatory & morbid touch in its every reel.
Though billed as partly a black comedy, this creepy Czech classic is just a bit too uncomfortable and surreal to truly meet that label. Made in the golden decade of Psycho, Repulsion and Carnival of Souls, The Cremator remains unlike any movie you have ever seen before. It's slow, deliberate and genuinely horrifying where the black and white cinematography is haunting but beautiful; musical score is enthralling and aesthetically intriguing.

With barely a Nazi in sight, The Cremator brilliantly captures the political horror of 1930s Europe & the Holocaust as it takes over from within and makes monsters of the most boringly normal of men. And with barely a drop of blood to be found, The Cremator still manages to be brutally real. This is a pure horror and along with the director Juraj Herz, all the credit also goes to the actor (Rudolf Hrusinsky) who magnificently played the lead role...a performance that accurately and metaphorically fills the screen, an upsetting portrayal of a deceiving and psychotic character that steadily become occupied with Nazi political dogma.

Highly recommended.

>>: A

Last edited by roshiq; 05-07-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:00 PM
From The Beyond

"Sweeny Todd: Demon Barber Of Fleet Street"(1936) I actually saw this a few weeks ago for the second time and forgot to post about it. This scared me a lot when I saw it the first time as a kid possibly cos this was the early 90s when urban myths about satanism and ouija boards were rife in the UK. Not that this has anything to do with the film but those associations were going through my head at the time. Anyway on second viewing I noticed how sharp the dialogue was and how full of contrasting views it was such are the immortal lines given by the character of Sweeny Todd especially to do with his customers throats lol highly recommended.

On the Subject of Tomb Of Ligeia-I'm surprised that this was faithful to the original "Ligeia" Poe story-its been years since I read it-but I guess I need to read it again I had thought it was more macabre and exciting than the film was-unless I was getting it confused with another Poe story-luckily a friend of mine translated the original latin quotes for me so I'll dig them up as well.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Evil Dead

The Triumph of Sherlock Holmes (1935)
Plot: IMDB

Holmes, retired to Sussex, is drawn into a last case when.arch enemy Moriarty arranges with an American gang to kill one John Douglas, a country gentleman with a mysterious past. Holmes' methods baffle Watson and Lestrade, but his results astonish them. In a long flashback, the victim's wife tells the story of the sinister Vermissa Valley.

Phantom's Review: One of the dullest Holmes movies I have ever seen. Not worth the effort
Old 05-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Living Dead

The Sadist

I watched The Sadist a couple nights ago, it was a good one. About a serial killer who holds hostage some people in a gas station. It had Arch Hall Jr. in the lead role. He and his father made a series of movies in the late 50's and early 60's. Most of them were garbage, Like EGAAH! The Teen age Caveman and Wild Guitar and some stupid western where he played Billy the Kid. But in The Sadist they had a winner. It was damn good, Hall even looked the part and his acting was very realistic. He must have taken some acting lessons before he did The Sadist, Because in his other movies he couldnt act his way out of a paper bag. I highly recomend it.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Cranky

Hey now, how can you dis EGAAH?? That's a masterpiece!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 05-10-2011, 10:33 AM
For Vendetta

Fantastic little Hitchcock-ian masterpiece. Watch it, if you haven't. Highly recommended by me.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post

Fantastic little Hitchcock-ian masterpiece. Watch it, if you haven't. Highly recommended by me.
Downloaded a torrent link already. :)
Old 05-11-2011, 12:00 PM
From The Beyond

The House On Haunted Hill-Just saw this for the fourth time and I was still gripped as much as the first time. Just an amazingly well done film I can't get enough of.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Evil Dead

A weekend of classic crap:

They Saved Hitlers Brain
The Creeping Terror
Hot Rods From Hell
Bucket Of Blood
Old 05-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Evil is Better

Devil Doll (1964)

Not the best, seemed more like an episode of The Twilight Zone or something that belonged in an anthology but i still liked it. A couple of small creepy parts and an interesting ending at least.