Old 12-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Tenant

but dudes zombie puts more like gore and sex and shit in the remake plus the old one is sooo old but rob zombie rules and makes good horror with sex and gore and we see michael as a kid and shit its sweet!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:31 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post
but dudes zombie puts more like gore and sex and shit in the remake plus the old one is sooo old but rob zombie rules and makes good horror with sex and gore and we see michael as a kid and shit its sweet!

Young man, step away from the computer and let Alky back on..
Old 12-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post

I can totally sympathize with the friends who talk through movies or don't even bother to watch them at home... It drives me CRAZY, especially if it's a movie that I feel passionately about.

I saw the second Matrix movie with two groups of friends: With the first group of friends, we took a couple of hours to discuss the philosophy of the movie (ignoring ITS weaknesses) and what we hoped to see in the third.

The SECOND group of friends - I TRIED to get them to talk, but they were just like, "Heh. Fighting scenes."

It was a sad, sobering experience. :(

I know that the second Matrix movie isn't everyone's favorite, but there were a lot of themes in there that were worth discussion...

anyway...
I don't get that. I mean I understand if movies aren't a person's "thing". If its just something they don't enjoy as much as I do, or they just don't have the appreciation for film that I do. I get that. But why even bother to watch a film if you aren't going to REALLY watch it?

But I suppose it comes down to this, for most people, movies are JUST entertainment. They don't take anything away from it (and I admit I like mindless entertainment as much as the next person). They don't see any meaning in film, because they aren't looking for that. When they decide to see a film, they aren't looking to analyze it, or take anything from it, they want a way to pass the time, or have a bit of fun then immediately forget about it. But having a movie you haven't seen on as "background noise" seems a tad silly to me. Just turn a radio on. ;)

Oh and I have to say.....its drives me a little crazy when I say I dislike a film and they automatically assume that I don't "get" it. It happens when I mention I am not a fan of Mulholland Dr. I don't know how many times I have been told "well, its just because you didn't UNDERSTAND it". No, its because I think it is a muddled mess and it did absolutely nothing for me. I am a Lynch fan. I just don't like that film. I don't need people talking down to me about it. ;) Its all about your own interpretation of a film, and what you think it is trying to accomplish, and if it accomplished that for YOU.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post
*snicker* Well, that sir, is a powerful argument and COMPLETELY changed my opinion of the film.

:D :p

Yet another remake that apparently was just a bad, BAD idea from the get go. Kind of like another one I can name, but won't, because I have bitched about it ad nauseam....*coughblackchristmascough*
Old 12-14-2007, 09:44 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna26 View Post
I don't get that. I mean I understand if movies aren't a person's "thing". If its just something they don't enjoy as much as I do, or they just don't have the appreciation for film that I do. I get that. But why even bother to watch a film if you aren't going to REALLY watch it?

But I suppose it comes down to this, for most people, movies are JUST entertainment. They don't take anything away from it (and I admit I like mindless entertainment as much as the next person). They don't see any meaning in film, because they aren't looking for that. When they decide to see a film, they aren't looking to analyze it, or take anything from it, they want a way to pass the time, or have a bit of fun then immediately forget about it.
That's me right there. :o

Quote:

Oh and I have to say.....its drives me a little crazy when I say I dislike a film and they automatically assume that I don't "get" it. It happens when I mention I am not a fan of Mulholland Dr. I don't know how many times I have been told "well, its just because you didn't UNDERSTAND it". No, its because I think it is a muddled mess and it did absolutely nothing for me. I am a Lynch fan. I just don't like that film. I don't need people talking down to me about it. ;) Its all about your own interpretation of a film, and what you think it is trying to accomplish, and if it accomplished that for YOU.
I didn't understand it, but i liked it nevertheless. :)

Who seriously DID understand that movie after the first view?? Not many, i'm sure.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
That's me right there. :o

I didn't understand it, but i liked it nevertheless. :)

Who seriously DID understand that movie after the first view?? Not many, i'm sure.

Yeah, but I am assuming that you actually WATCH the films you discuss here. ;) Sometimes thats me as well, sometimes that is EXACTLY what I want. Its why I like so much crap, it purely escapist fun...there is no shame in that. Other times I do want a film to challenge me a bit more. Its all depends on my mood.

And no one did.....haha...;) But some people seem to have no problem proclaiming that they did, and treating someone else like they are a complete idiot just because that person didn't happen to appreciate it as much as they did. I have no problem that other people like it, or love it, its when they annoyingly insist something is wrong with me because I didn't.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Payback's a Bitch

Send a message via AIM to GorePhobia Send a message via Yahoo to GorePhobia
I enjoy movies for entertainment 9 times out of 10. I do WATCH them to get stuff from then but I never really pick a movie apart and analize it because everyone has their own opinion on the matter.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:12 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Tell it, Sista.

Quote:
But I suppose it comes down to this, for most people, movies are JUST entertainment. They don't take anything away from it (and I admit I like mindless entertainment as much as the next person). They don't see any meaning in film, because they aren't looking for that. When they decide to see a film, they aren't looking to analyze it, or take anything from it, they want a way to pass the time, or have a bit of fun then immediately forget about it. But having a movie you haven't seen on as "background noise" seems a tad silly to me. Just turn a radio on. ;)
It's true... And I TRY to let it go that people like to watch movies "as entertainment" (which I like to do too... I mean... I LOVE 40 Year Old Virgin, but I'm not sure there's deep meaning in it)... What bothers ME is that while I'll leave them alone and just... ENJOY... They call me a SNOB for actually analyzing... And then scoff at the fact that I forum... WHAT CHOICE DO I HAVE?! :p *snicker*

Quote:
BUT YOU JUST DON'T GET - hahaha... Yeah, that's actually a really good example... ANY Lynch film, really... I mean, you either love Lynch or hate him... And if you DON'T like his work, that doesn't mean that you're DUMB. It means that you don't want to put up with his incredible self-indulgence. Gotta respect a girl who does that (though I love Lynch, but that's just me).

Quote:
Yet another remake that apparently was just a bad, BAD idea from the get go. Kind of like another one I can name, but won't, because I have bitched about it ad nauseam....*coughblackchristmascough*
OK I'LL WATCH THE ORIGINAL ALREADY! DIE! :p According to Netflix, it should be arriving tomorrow... Following Elf. Score.

I'm starting to like THIS one, too...

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 12-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
BUT YOU JUST DON'T GET - hahaha... Yeah, that's actually a really good example... ANY Lynch film, really... I mean, you either love Lynch or hate him... And if you DON'T like his work, that doesn't mean that you're DUMB. It means that you don't want to put up with his incredible self-indulgence. Gotta respect a girl who does that (though I love Lynch, but that's just me).
:p I have found that, not in general, but the Lynch films I dislike, I seem to REALLY dislike. But I love Blue Velvet. Those are the two extremes for me, right there, when it comes to Lynch. Blue Velvet worked for me, and worked incredibly well. Mulholland Dr. really didn't.

Quote:
OK I'LL WATCH THE ORIGINAL ALREADY! DIE! :p According to Netflix, it should be arriving tomorrow... Following Elf. Score.
LOL....sorry, I don't mean to NAG....;) But I don't think you will be sorry. I do think I made a big mistake when I watched the remake. We watched the original first (my husband had never seen it) then immediately watched the remake. That probably....colored....my opinion somewhat. Not much, mind you, but I doubt I would hate it QUITE as much, if I would have waited awhile after revisiting a film that I had so much love for for the first time in a couple years.

Quote:
I'm starting to like THIS one, too...
:D
Old 12-14-2007, 03:59 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
:p I have found that, not in general, but the Lynch films I dislike, I seem to REALLY dislike. But I love Blue Velvet. Those are the two extremes for me, right there, when it comes to Lynch. Blue Velvet worked for me, and worked incredibly well. Mulholland Dr. really didn't.
Yeah, I would say that Blue Velvet is certainly his movie opus (I am a HUGE Twin Peaks fan), hands down (Eraserhead just... bothers me, though I'll have to catch it again, and Lost Highway was SO overrated). Mulholland Dr., however, really worked for me... I can definitely understand why people HATED it because I would say, in regards to Lynch's more recent films, this was the most self-conscious and indulgent at the same time... I felt, particularly toward the end, he was breaking down the fourth wall and nodding to the audience as if to say, "Yeah, that's right. I AM David Lynch," though honestly I feel he is also lampooning himself in a way and that I appreciate.

I always liked the film, but it wasn't until I went to L.A. and rented a truck and drove the WHOLE of Mulholland Dr. (from late afternoon into the dark of the evening) that I REALLY appreciated the film... L.A. is such a strange little town filled with quirks and contradictions (from the tack of the Strip to the ranches in the canyons), that I feel that he was almost trying to capture part of the feeling and abstract nature of L.A. and Hollywood itself in a film... And that, to me was brilliant.

But I digress...

Quote:
LOL....sorry, I don't mean to NAG.... But I don't think you will be sorry. I do think I made a big mistake when I watched the remake. We watched the original first (my husband had never seen it) then immediately watched the remake. That probably....colored....my opinion somewhat. Not much, mind you, but I doubt I would hate it QUITE as much, if I would have waited awhile after revisiting a film that I had so much love for for the first time in a couple years.
No need to apologize... I just find it really REALLY funny (I'm a huge fan of repetition)... And BELIEVE ME, Jenna... you'll be the first to know when I actually see it.

But back to THE THREAD AT HAND

Today I worked from home and took FULL advantage of the Free movies that On Demand had to offer (I DID accomplish a lot workwise, though... I was keeping them on as... background noise... hee hee... I actually selected movies that I had already seen PURPOSEFULLY so that I wouldn't feel so bad having them in the background)...

Event Horizon

One of my favorite horror movies, hands down, I find Event Horizon was sadly overlooked when it came out.

Highlights:
  • It appeals both to my HORROR and geeky scifi sensibilities, and does so well. I appreciate the gritty vision of the crew, which is definitely a throwback to Alien.
  • It stars Sam Neil... My dear Dr. Grant. A wonderful villian.
  • The characters are genuine and LIKEABLE without being overly silly.
  • The "horror" aspects of the film REALLY get to me. The ship literally HAUNTS everyone, appealing to all of their weaknesses. The visions of memories fill me incredible horrified pathos. Brilliant.
  • The concept and brief depiction of infinite Hell... Absolutely horrifies me. Now, I'm not a religious person, by any means (I'm an Atheist), but the concept of infinite and ETERNAL suffering - that's just... horrifying. And this movie made me consider it for the first time. *shiver*
  • Haunted house brought to a ship. Again, very Alien, but done very well. Isolation and alienation was done INCREDIBLY well.

The bit that bothers me:
WHY would you make a ship with so many sharp points?!

Despite that, I love this movie. LOVE it. A-/A

The Craft

Wow. I haven't seen this movie since high school. What a fun little flick. Not to mention, it's refreshing to see witch movies that aren't silly. I think that it works as a witch/horror film as well as a teen high school movie. Toward the end, I feel pathos for their victims, and I actually feel THREAT from the avenging witches, which is actually pretty impressive. And, not to mention, Fairuza Balk is HELLA hot.

B/B+

The Wizard

PURE nostalgia. I hadn't seen this movie since my DAD took me when it was in the theater... :) And that was BEFORE Mario 3 came out (good marketing campaign for Nintendo).

WOW I had forgotten that Christian Slater was in that movie... I love the little random films that he's done.

But anyway... It's a fun little kids movie. Definitely appealed to me as a Nintendo junkie. Not sure if it withstood the test of time, BUT it was fun to revisit nonetheless.

B (includes extra points for nostalgia)

Join my Facebook Horror Group!