Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Get ahold of yourself.

Send a message via AIM to massacre man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Guy View Post
it's agreed that horror is fiction, so anything is possible. With that being said, horror is suppose to influence your imagination.
You kind of just supported my point... Having a mystery killer can stimulate your mind and make you guess who it is holding the knife. Watching a retarded zombie in a hockey mask's resurrection by Ben Franklin for the 49th time doesn't.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Mr. Scream

u seem to think that jason voorhees is the only icon out there, jason aside u can talk all day about the 80 and how it was the decade of horror
Old 11-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
u seem to think that jason voorhees is the only icon out there, jason aside u can talk all day about the 80 and how it was the decade of horror
A new crop will come around sooner or later. Jason, Freddy, and Michael wernt the first horror icons......they wouldnt be the last.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Get ahold of yourself.

Quote:
Because Jason was on your list of icons, for which I feel Ghostface is more qualified. I am very aware that he is not the only icon. And the '80s had a lot of horror, but definitely wasn't the "decade of horror" The '70s had Halloween, The Exorcist, Jaws, Alien, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Dawn of the Dead. The '80s weren't bad by any means, pretty great, but still not horror's definitive decade, I'm not saying the '70s are either, the '70s were just better.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:30 PM
HDC Idol

I agree with Ghost Face being the Horror Icon of the 90s. Whether or not one liked those films, it's hard to argue their popularity amongst the masses.

Horror Icons of the 2000's:

To be clear, though, I don't think that any of the above mentioned icons really displace Jason, Freddy, Michael, or Leatherface, nor do we really "need" any new ones (I don't at least - Michael Meyers is a permant staple of my nightmares). I think that their (Jason, Freddy, Michael, Leatherface) infamy is far more prevalent. Ghost Face and Jigsaw are more fads than anything else; that's how you can argue that Ghost Face was not an icon of the 90s. But, oh, he was... He just faded.

Also - Whoever said that the Slasher genre is dead should watch Laid to Rest, My Bloody Valentine 3D, and Inside. Icons don't necessarily make a genre; subject matter does.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 11-02-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:58 PM
For Vendetta

Old 11-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Get ahold of yourself.

You know what would be an entirely new/awesome twist to the Saw series? Billy the Doll was manipulating Jigsaw and the copycat killers into setting the traps using them as puppets! I'd see that movie because it would be bad in an awesome way, not bad in a Saw sequel way.

'Twas a joke, by the way.

Last edited by massacre man; 11-02-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Bad Natured

i think that Chronogrl is onto something...

Nothing says icon like scary Asian hair. Ashe.
derek

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
I think the question we need to ask is: "is franchise horror nostalgia a mental illness or just a crippling learning disability?" I don't miss repetitive sequels starring characters that are only moderately interesting. It really wasn't that cool to be able to rent the same damn movie with a different Roman numeral next to it. These are C+ films at best and it's a trend we benefit from having progressed beyond. Why is there no horror icon in the 2000s? Because this has been a sucky decade for the horror movie with very few exceptions. The only icons I'd like to recommend are Captain Spaulding and the Firefly family. They're recognizeable, people wear the costumes and people would see a third movie starring those characters even if it was completely inept. We need creativity and innovation to move ahead not rehashing formulas because we liked them when we were 12.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:26 PM
so bad they call her boss

Send a message via AIM to X¤MurderDoll¤X
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
i think that Chronogrl is onto something...

Nothing says icon like scary Asian hair. Ashe.
derek
it's not the hair, asians in general are just extremely scary.

the speech pattern, the evil eyes, the soulless expressions *shudder*

Tags
horror, icon