Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-04-2010, 04:00 AM
Bad Natured

Bride of Frankenstein (1935). Maybe great movies begin with a little alcohol, as Frankenstein's cameraman, John J. Mescall, was reportedly drunk throughout, and with superior results. This sequel easily belongs in the class denoting the greatest of horror flicks. Sprinkled with dark humor, great dialog, fine acting, and a villain of cyclopean proportions, BOF has it all. James Whale's direction, of course, was sublime. Little more can be said of a movie that deserves to be watched more than discussed. Late.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:09 AM
Cranky

My all time fave!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 07-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Masoch's mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
If you look at Todd Browning's oeuvre and his carnival background and put things into perspective, Freaks doesn't merit guilt. The subjects of the movie are for the most part shown in a warm, loving positive manner.
In context, I agree with you completely. And am aware that Browning himself was from a carnival background. But my awareness that the people in the movie actually had disabilities and that this was being used to entertain in a macabre way just doesn't sit well on the conscience of someone who works in a sphere where attitudes to what society does not deem the norm are frequently being challenged.
But that said, Browning does go a long way to portray these people as having a right to the same things as everyone else- love, marriage and friendship. So can see both sides of the coin.
Do you think a film about real people with schizophrenia taking revenge on those who treat them badly could ever be made? Personally I would love it as society is so small minded, but can't see it ever happening. The only remotely justified reaction they would get would be pitty (and no I don't agree with that either) but never would they recieve empathy.
Must stop railroading thread! But interesting to considder the classic stuff within the context of the time it was made

Last edited by Bastet; 07-04-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Cranky

The Screaming Skull.

Great example of late 50s chiller that uses insanity, ghostly goings on and American Gothic flourishes to great effect.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:23 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Cape Fear (1962)

>>: A
Old 07-06-2010, 03:56 AM
Bad Natured

House of Usher (1960). Cursed! This is the creepy theme of this wonderful adaption of a Poe classic. Slow moving in a eerie way, this one is never boring. With all of the classic themes for classic horror, fog and bats and castles and such, the background here only set the canvas for Vincent Price to create his horrible magic, a pathetic and sinister man that exudes a feline sense that he may pounce at any time. The story itself unraveled perfectly upon the lavish sets. The direction and camera work were solid. The acting of course sublime. They certainly don't make them like this anymore. Merci beaucoup.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Cranky

One of Price's best portrayals, for sure!

Old 07-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
The Screaming Skull.

Great example of late 50s chiller that uses insanity, ghostly goings on and American Gothic flourishes to great effect.
I saw that on TV the other night. I hadn't seen it in years and I forgot how much fun it was. a good little movie
Old 07-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Cranky

A great triple feature would be The Screaming Skull, The Skull and the 4 Skulls of Johnathan Drake!

Old 07-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Cranky

Dead of Night

This is a classic from 1945 with Michael Redgrave. The first trilogy Filmed (I think). The classic sequence involves a ventroliquist and his dummy. Also, there is the Queen of Spades. Theres a scare in there you wont soon forget. If your interested there is a double feature dvd containing these. Im sure its available.