Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Loving these reviews, Roshiq!
And I'm truly glad for that; all the true fans of Vintage Horror at HDC highly motivated & inspired me time to time by their recommendations...even with a single worthy comment; made me truly grateful:). Finally I'm now able to finding out this golden treasures of of the genre and believe me...the more I'm exploring the more I'm getting fascinated by each & every film of the classic periods. I know there are still lot left to watch, but I'm pretty much determined to see them all one by one.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Atrocity Exhibition

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (1962)

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane is one of the most tense and effective horror - thriller films I've ever seen. Bette Davis and Joan Crawford are perfect in the role of sisters, Baby Jane and Blanche. They play off each other almost like they're competing. The photography is wonderful, the black and white photography is suberb. The direction by Aldrich is masterful, subtle and tense.

Bette Davis plays Baby Jane Hudson an ex-child star who's sister, Blanche's latter success as an actress overshadowed Baby Jane's. Later on in life, Blanche is paralyzed from the waist down and Baby Jane, now psychotic and deranged looks after her. What follows is a series of tense and terrifying scenes leading up to a genius finale.

The ending of Baby Jane is incredible - it is one of the best twists in film history - executed perfectly and completly spooky.

-10/10
Old 06-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Analrapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddy View Post
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (1962)

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane is one of the most tense and effective horror - thriller films I've ever seen. Bette Davis and Joan Crawford are perfect in the role of sisters, Baby Jane and Blanche. They play off each other almost like they're competing. The photography is wonderful, the black and white photography is suberb. The direction by Aldrich is masterful, subtle and tense.

Bette Davis plays Baby Jane Hudson an ex-child star who's sister, Blanche's latter success as an actress overshadowed Baby Jane's. Later on in life, Blanche is paralyzed from the waist down and Baby Jane, now psychotic and deranged looks after her. What follows is a series of tense and terrifying scenes leading up to a genius finale.

The ending of Baby Jane is incredible - it is one of the best twists in film history - executed perfectly and completly spooky.

-10/10

Oh they were competing alright!

If you know about the bad blood between the two actresses, makes for an even more interesting watch. Great movie.

And that song... just creepy as hell.

Thug means never having to say you're sorry.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:31 PM
balllls

Send a message via AIM to hacelikewhoa
Watched Freaks earlier.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:38 AM
Atrocity Exhibition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfire1 View Post
Oh they were competing alright!

If you know about the bad blood between the two actresses, makes for an even more interesting watch. Great movie.

And that song... just creepy as hell.
Yeah, I saw the film 'Mommie Dearest' a few months ago... Crazy stuff.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:50 AM
Pirate of Bengal

M (1931)

As a city is terrorized by the crimes of a deranged child murderer, not only the police but other criminals, threatened by the panic that puts everyone under suspicion, decide they have to track the culprit down to protect their own interests. One of the greatest visionary directors of all time-Fritz Lang gradually crosscuts between the efforts of these separate groups, the public at large, and the murderer himself graphically describing each stage of the pursuit and at the same time exposing the inner life of the city. Even the random touches of dark humor through the desperate search & investigations by the police & the mob world, gives another shade of completeness to this masterpiece. No other thriller has so effectively combined exposition and suspense with a portrait of an entire society, and M does this through a dazzling way of visual rhymes and thematic portrayals that eventually draw the art of celluloid storytelling.
Not one frame in the film displays an act of harm on a child, but we find the victims in chilling uncanny compositions of the bouncing ball without its owner, an untended balloon caught in telephone wires, and the vacant corridors of the child's home, stressed by a mother's tensions for her absent daughter.

A landmark of film-noir classics.

>>: A+

Last edited by roshiq; 06-15-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:38 AM
Cranky

Let's not forget the greatest performance Peter Lorre ever gave!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 06-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Let's not forget the greatest performance Peter Lorre ever gave!
Ditto! The way he portrayed the helplessness & desperation of a serial killer through those frightened eyes surely unforgettable!

The Whip and the Body (1963)

Another excellent Gothic period piece from Horror Master Mario Bava. One of the things in Bava's films that often highly praised is his use of lighting, and this film features what is probably the best use of lighting that I have seen so far in a Bava film. The lights give flair to the scenery, and help to give the film an amazing picturesque cinematography. Every frame of this film looks like it was lifted from one painting or another.
This film represents the only pairing of Bava with British horror icon Sir Christopher Lee, and as usually here young & handsome Lee lights up the screen with his bold persona and screen presence. And his performance nicely tuned with stunning Daliah Lavi, who's beauty shines through the creepy & tensed atmosphere of Castle Menliff. It was said that due to the contents of erotic violence, the film was heavily censored around the world but I found that part highly intriguing.
A tree vine whipping in an open window reminding Nevenka (Lavi) of her sordid past with Kurt or when Nevenka caresses her face with a red rose... was the unique metaphor of Bava's work of excellence. Lavi's captivating beauty was brilliantly shot, often in her room, surrounded in darkness, the wind roaring, her frightened eyes constantly veering right & left, waiting for something odd to happen...is the signature of masterclass direction.

>>: A
Old 06-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Pirate of Bengal

I Saw What You Did (1965)

A Hitchcockian plot complete with all of Castle's usual parlor tricks. This is one terror tale that is strangely still suitable for all ages. Though it started like a sleazy teen version of Rear Window & Psycho, but remarkably this Castle Classic actually has a great impact & influence on the slasher genre in later decades (films like Sorority Row, Scream etc. etc.). The opening shots where Libby & Kit were talking to each other on the phone, instantly reminded me the POV shots of Carpenter's Halloween (1978) through Michael's mask at the beginning. Moreover, after 80's TV remake now this is going to get another adaptation (but this time on big screen), which is quite a rare treatment in compare to other classics of its era!

>>: B

Last edited by roshiq; 06-16-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:06 AM
Cranky

I remember seeing this in the drive-in and it was really scary to me. When I saw it, it was titled I know Who You Are and I Saw What You Did!

William Castle is really under-rated, IMO, because of his use of gimmicks, but this film shows he could make a really scary movie!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff