Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Texas Chainsaw Franchise

I have only seen the original film, the remake, and the sequel to the remake (Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning). I was wondering how good this series was, especially the ones I have not seen (you can comment on the ones I have seen if you want). I was actually thinking of buying Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation. If there is another one that you think would be better, you may suggest it. So, what are your thoughts?
Old 06-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Evil Dead

I haven't seen TNG yet, but I would reccommend Part II. Dennis Hopper is a total nutcase, and I loved it! Bill Mosely's performance as Chop Top is also pretty awesome. If you can find the two disc edition pick that one up. Leatherface: TCM III, I wasn't impressed with. I haven't seen it in a long time though. The trailer for it was pretty funny though.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX_StarChild_Xx View Post
I haven't seen TNG yet, but I would reccommend Part II. Dennis Hopper is a total nutcase, and I loved it! Bill Mosely's performance as Chop Top is also pretty awesome. If you can find the two disc edition pick that one up. Leatherface: TCM III, I wasn't impressed with. I haven't seen it in a long time though. The trailer for it was pretty funny though.
Okay, thank you. I have ordered Chainsaw 2 from Amazon. I could not find the two-disc edition. Was there any particular reason why you recommended it (the two-disc edition specifically, not the film)?

Last edited by metternich1815; 06-12-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Misanthrope

They are all worth a watch with the exception of The Next Generation which was just a mess. Part 2 is one of my all time favorite films... more darkly funny than the original which may or may not be your thing. The remake is one of the better ones out there and I enjoyed it.

Texas Chainsaw 3D isn't great either but if you switch off to all the plot-holes and continuity errors it has it's moments.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
They are all worth a watch with the exception of The Next Generation which was just a mess. Part 2 is one of my all time favorite films... more darkly funny than the original which may or may not be your thing. The remake is one of the better ones out there and I enjoyed it.

Texas Chainsaw 3D isn't great either but if you switch off to all the plot-holes and continuity errors it has it's moments.
Part two looked really good, which is why I decided to buy it (plus, there is a long wait on Netflix). I'll probably still watch The Next Generation, but at least I have warning. The third one isn't even on Netflix, so i'll have to buy it, as well (at some point). I actually really liked the remake too, I would probably rate it four stars. I thought it was one of the best remakes of last decade, especially in the serial killer category. I saw The Beginning give or take, I don't really remember much, except the ending. As I mentioned, I have not seen any of the other ones. I heard the newest one (2013) was pretty terrible, I might rent it from Netflix some time or something. Anyway, thank you for the recommendations. I definitely look forward to watching Chainsaw 2.

Last edited by metternich1815; 06-12-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
Okay, thank you. I have ordered Chainsaw 2 from Amazon. I could not find the two-disc edition. Was there any particular reason why you recommended it (the two-disc edition specifically, not the film)?
Well, I liked the documentary on the making of the film. That would pretty much be the only thing that sets it apart from the one disc edition. Either way you go it's a fun movie that ditches the gritty morose realism of the first film for a more comedic and b-movie schlock approach. I think they compliment eachother quite well.

On the subject of the remake, I didn't care for it much at all. However it's been a long time since I've seen it and I only saw it once. I haven't seen "The Begining" either. I was debating whether or not to watch that last night, but instead watched "Human Centipede II".

...I should have watched "The Begining"...

I'll pass on TCM 3D...
Old 06-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Dead as a Dodo

I agree that they are all worth watching - at least once.

Part 1 - classic, love it
Part 2 - pretty good but have gotten bored of it over the years
Part 3 - liked that one better than 2
Part 4 - underated - well acted
Remake - yuck - waste of space
Prequel - pretty good - nice and gory
newest - was different so I enjoyed it - surprisingly
Old 06-30-2013, 07:47 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post

I just watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation and I will say, while it's far from a masterpiece, I actually kind of liked it. It was very entertaining. I will say that the characters are unusually stupid (in their actions) and many of the ones that are killed were underdeveloped. The exception being Jenny. I also thought the family was really well done. Made to be even more psychotic than the family in the original (which I did not think was possible). On that note, I thought McConaughey was particularly good. Leatherface was, by far, the weakest of the family. McConaughey's character was far more menacing than Leatherface, but I will say that this film, at least in my opinion, is worth a watch. I do not entirely understand the ending though, but overall it was not a bad film (I would probably give it five out of ten stars).

Last edited by metternich1815; 06-30-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Also, the film definitely retained a comedic element similar to the (superior) sequel Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. For example, the fast food restaurant scene
Old 07-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepaway View Post
Remake - yuck - waste of space
Prequel - pretty good - nice and gory
My thoughts exactly, the first time through. I thought it was ridiculous to make a Michael Bay style huge budget remake of one of the most groundbreaking low-budget successes in history. It didn't capture the gritty feel of the original at all. When "The Beginning" came out, I knew what to expect, and actually liked it a lot because it I remember it being more cringe-inducing than the remake.

Having rewatched the remake a couple times, I don't mind it as much. It's like the Dawn of the Dead remake, just a completely different movie, and not too bad in its own right. I haven't rewatched the prequel yet.