Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Evil Dead

Another Remake...OMCDave, Read!

I just stumbled across this in the latest Fangoria issue. It was under the Fear Film Forcast....Save us all from the remakes. :(

American Remake of One Missed Call

It's due out next year.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Evil Dead

Sad news for all...

Remakes need to die...
Old 09-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Evil Puppy

Without remakes and prequels we wouldn't get cool DVD releases. Do you think The Omen special edition would have came out without the Omen remake? What about Wicker Man? Now it's the ultimate edition of TCM out on DVD and without remakes we wouldn't get that kind of stuff. Not only that but a remake of a foreign movie can help it get released over here in the states if it already hasn't been. I don't think I would have seen Il Mare on the shelves had Lake House not been released. Some remakes can be good, I doubt One Missed Call will be but there's always a chance.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally posted by omcdave
all good points you are right there are some good SE dvds out now.
Of course then you have things like The Fog which come out and not only is the remake dreaful but the DVD release of the original is a simple repackage. Talk about bringing nothing to the table.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:21 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally posted by Despare
Of course then you have things like The Fog which come out and not only is the remake dreaful but the DVD release of the original is a simple repackage. Talk about bringing nothing to the table.
The re-release was about $10 cheaper than the original DVD. Dunno if it was that way everywhere, but I was where I got my copy.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:28 AM
Ssh...did you hear that?

Send a message via Yahoo to Miss Olivia
The Fog takes the cake as the worst remake in history. It made The Haunting remake look like Halloween.
Ugh.
Let your bloodline feed my youth
------------------------------
Ssshhh....did you hear that?
Old 10-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Evil Dead

You aren't kidding, I went to see it at the theater by myself (yes I paid money) and left after about 30 minutes. Pretty bad if you are at a movie by yourself and leave! LOL
Old 10-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Scares Little Kids

Remakes for the most part DO need to die, in any genre. There is no reason to foul up something that was already good. It woudl be fun to see soemthing like a NEW 'short circuit' movie or something along that lines, but seriously, if someone is to attempt a remake why don't they take something that was HORRIBLE to start with and remake it. Look at George Lucas, he 'remade' (more reedited) his original 3 movies into the special edition and I personally still watch my VHS before i'll watch my DVD versions (Who wants to see Hayden in the original trilogy I sure as heck didn't and where was the ewok song? I know they just released the OLD star Wars on dvd but i refuse to buy it because I've already bought 3 colletions of the same movies its getting stupid) Remakes are consumeristic means when they have nothing else going for them at the time, and people are dumb enough to see it.
I DO, however, agree with certain remakes to an extent.. such as a foreign film being remade into an english film. Now don't get me wrong, if the english film ends up being better than the original... you probrablly shouldn't have liked that movie in the first place. But It does give the less sophisticated people out there that cannot sit through a movie where they have to read the screen a chance to enjoy the same film. Ju-on was at least 3x better than the Grudge but i'm one of maybe a handful of people I know that have seen the original. Everyone else still adores the Grudge. So I can't knock a remake in that sense. (The Grudge wasn't... bad... presay, but i don't think buffy should ahve been the lead in it) The other thing about remade international films is they lose the feeling that was behind the original intent. Most foreign films have subtlties that give us a glimpse into their culture that the american versions leave out completely just to spruce it up and instead throw in a few words at the beginning or end that 'tell' you what the entire film should have made you film.
A few good remakes I have seen that do not surpass the originals in anyways but at least attain a plateau even with their predasessors are:
Oceans 11 : You can't knock the Rat Pack Version, no one can truely parrallel Sinatra and the gang, but the equaled it by giving it just a big cast (all are outstanding actors) and gave it a mondern twist for our generation. Hell in 40 years if they make another one with that eras actors I would see it too.
Scarface : Believe it or not folks was a remake and the remade one is one of the top 100 films of our century.. Why? Pachino.

Wow.. i just found a link that supports what i'm saying.. at least part of it.
http://www.themovieblog.com/archives..._bad_idea.html

I'll just throw in one more remake I thought was well done was The New Dawn of the Dead movie. Yes It was a horrible movie people yes it didn't even come close to following the story of the original. But It also has some of the better zombie effects I've seen, a pregnant zombie who gives birth to a half zombie, and the oh so loved element of zombie movies, a Classic B storyline.

Foreign horror should never be remade, there is no way to do it because western culture is far different that eastern culture. They look at symbolism, while we look at gore and action. Those are the remakes that should never be, so I DO agree with the thread on that extent.

I'm going to shut up now
but first.. 3 movies that would be fun to see new versions of them (remade) if you will.
The Swamp Thing
The Toxic Avenger
and i'll leave out the last one cause the first two were good enough examples.. one more outstanding one that is already remade was Andrew Lloyd Webbers The Phantom of the Opera.
there is nothing at all wrong with that movie.. infact it does an even better job at showing the Phantom of being a sadistic WEIRDO than the old french version did (I think the french one was great, but equally as strange)

alright I'm finished.