Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-10-2004, 06:57 AM
Run, you fools!!!

DOTD remake was pooop. Didn't like it. What the hell were they doin with that baby scene. Just to be controversial. Kacka!!!!

“I could catch a monkey. If I was starving I could. I’d make poison darts out of the poison of the deadly frogs. One milligram of that poison can kill a monkey. Or a man. Prick yourself and you’d be dead within a day. Or longer. Different frogs, different times.” - Gareth from The Office

“Life is just a series of peaks and troughs. And you don’t know whether you’re in a trough until you’re climbing out, or on a peak until you’re coming down. And that’s it you know, you never know what’s round the corner. But it’s all good. ‘If you want the rainbow, you’ve gotta put up with the rain.’ Do you know which philosopher said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she’s just a big pair of tits.” - David Brent
Old 09-10-2004, 07:34 AM
Scares Little Kids

Thanx to all - I already have 28 Days Later (since release date) and think I'll be plumping for the Directors cut (altho the word cut generally leaves me nervous - some 'Directors Cuts have tended to be shorter than the original)

I DID like DOTD 2004, but it may have had something to do with seeing it while on holiday in Florida, a kick ass sound system and the fact I was like 5 rows from the front making for a very jumpy LMM indeed!

Just hope it lives up to my memories - I waited sssooo long for Nightbreed to come out after the cinema release and when I finally saw it found it to be cack of the highest order.

BTW Preacher - are you known as Boba Fett in some circles?
Old 09-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Fear scented candle

"director's Cut" doesnt refer to anything being cut from the movie. A "cut" of a film refers to how it is spliced together in it's final form. Director's Cuts generally have footage that wasnt in the theatrical release. That footage usually doesnt make it into the final release due to the studio demanding scenes get trimmed down or removed to save time. (Making the movie shorter than what the director originally wanted/intended)
Old 09-10-2004, 10:10 AM
Banned

Dawn of the Dead tidbit.

In an odd but true story, Scott Reiniger, beloved by many for his portrayal of Roger in George Romero's Dawn of the Dead recently found out that he is in fact the Prince of Ghor. Reiniger is the great, great grandson of Josiah Harlan, the first American to set foot in Afghanistan. As a result of a treaty signed by Harlan, his heirs are granted the title Prince of Ghor
Old 09-10-2004, 11:30 AM
..its only a movie...

Quote:
Originally posted by Preacher
DOTD remake was pooop. Didn't like it. What the hell were they doin with that baby scene. Just to be controversial. Kacka!!!!
I know it was so retarded. Just another reason to hate that film. I mean do you really like a baby THAT much your gonna risk your life over it and kill your wife earlier. So stupid.

As I was going up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away .
Old 09-10-2004, 01:29 PM
Undead

First post here so might as well make it a moody one...

DAWN OF THE DEAD 04 SUCKS HERMIT BALLS!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I'd be quite so pissed at the movie if they didn't claim it was a remake of Dawn of the Dead, I can take MTV-Eyecandy-Horror but the director missed the point soooo much I'm not sure if he even saw the original before "remaking" it.

The biggest tragedy is (if you've seen Shaun of the Dead) imagine what Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright could have done with it...

I suppose it was never going to be a happy ending seeing one of my favorite films (of any genre) remade in a top-gun style but fucking hell was it cack handed.

The only good thing about it (and 28 days later) is it's probably contributed to Romero getting green lighted with Land of the Dead - thing is will commercial pressures force him to make quite a shallow special effects film?
Old 09-12-2004, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hate_Breeder
Yeah i would get directors cut. Although i dont know what the new Dawn is like, having never seen it. But there is also a 4 disc coming out soon. You might wanna ask one of the other UK's around here like Zwoti(if hes still here..) or ShankS(if hes still here..) I hope i helped a little.....OH and welcome to the site. Hope you have fun. And happy posting :)
someone call?
Old 09-13-2004, 10:31 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally posted by IDrinkYourBlood
I know it was so retarded. Just another reason to hate that film. I mean do you really like a baby THAT much your gonna risk your life over it and kill your wife earlier. So stupid.
Obviously you missed the poiunt there.... He went nuts. He wanted "tomake a bteeter life for his kid and wife". But he couldnt, he knew she would die, he knew the kid would be dead, he didnt care, he went fucking crazy.

And for the record, DOTD 04 was never meant to be a true remake, it was a retelling. I wonder how many people say the new one is shit in comparison to the old one happen to like The Fly with Gina Davis and Jeff Goldblum, but have never seen/didnt like the original.

Personally, i'm just happy they are making zombie movies again, rather than halloween 800, Freddy Vs Jason Vs Jurrasic park, or another urban legend slasher wannabe.

DOTD 04 and 28 Days later were both good. YOU may not have liked them, but that is your opinion. I challenge anyone who hates these movies to give me an objective reason they are "inferior" to Romero's original movies.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:35 PM
Undead

Quote:
Originally posted by Vodstok

DOTD 04 and 28 Days later were both good. YOU may not have liked them, but that is your opinion. I challenge anyone who hates these movies to give me an objective reason they are "inferior" to Romero's original movies.
Inferiority is subjective. This is purely my take.

Romeros films do several things very well - each one oozes claustrophobic atmosphere and makes you believe what you are seeing. They also do a great job of adding depth to the characters, or at the very least the performances of the main actors give an implication of depth - they are films about people, their relationships and their reaction to the nightmarish situation occuring.

Compare this to 04 - the characters are wafer thin, with the only attempt to add a "human" element being the stupid baby scene and the rooftop chess game against Andy from the gun shop. Atmosphere is pretty much non-existant, the shopping centre location is completely wasted and that whole A-Team style van building is laughable. What it does deliver is special effects and bog-standard "adrenalin" scenes involving lots of running and things jumping out.

28 Days Later is a lot better as it's a far deeper film, however I felt that the narrative suffered in the second half of the film which left me on more than one occasion thinking "oh, I've just realised what happened" after an event.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Banned

i concur, im sry. but Dawn 04 was pretty bad, i cared less for any of the characters, Jerry Bruckheimer should have produced it, at least then i know im gonna get a CGI shitfest before i go, using the Dawn name generates curiosity which obviously it has done, remake/retelling, who cares, its money in the pocket either way, 04 does not hold a candle to any of GAR's movies and alot of other zombie flicks to boot