Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-20-2004, 05:31 AM
Undead

Angry The Village - A new SIGN of Suckness

Ok. This is really an opinion poll, so please feel free to let them fly. Here's an example.

"M. Night Shyamalan" is to "Movies" as "Vanilla Ice/4 Non-Blondes/Right Said Fred" is to "Music". Put simply, a one hit wonder.

Granted, "The Sixth Sense" was a box office hit monetary wise, and (personally) was a little creppy from time to time, with a hint of drama and suspence. After all, name another movie where one of the New Kids on the Block stands nearly naked mumbling with a gun in a bathroom.

That being said, a huge wad of cash and a "good job" was more than enough. BUt then, I was suckered into two movies not suitable for humans; "Unbreakable" and "Signs". The creepiness and curiousness were there, but it lacked story/modd/meaning/non-sucktitude. I have a feeling that "The Village" will be this as well.

First it was "why is this guy strong" and then it was "why are there circles in my crops". Now it's "what's in the forrest" and "why doesn't it like red?" It's kinda like the smoker at the party who thinks he's being smart or philosofical, but really is being over-dramatic to the point where it's funny.

And to top it off, Night made an appearance...a critical appearance in "Signs" as being (a) the reason Mel Gibson was messed up in the head and (b) the person that caught "the crop circle freak". His acting was sub-par the seens he had were more like little "I'm cool. I did this" tributes to himself.

All in all, that freak has taken me and friends for $15 each, and we want it back. His slightly engrossing stories are loose near the ending, he's had one good hit and multiple losers, and he gloats like nothing I've seen before (even going so far as to do a documentary about himself). As far as I can see, the man is milking it.

Downside

P.S. What the f*ck was the deal with aliens being hurt by baseball bats and <gasp> water??? And this guy is suppose to be creative!
Old 07-20-2004, 05:43 AM
Fear scented candle

He blew his load witrh 6th Sense. That was an amazing movie. Then we have unbreakable, which was actually very good until the end.

Signs was also cool until the end. It is a great example of "It worked the first time". People liked it at first, then it fizzled. It has no staying power.

My hopes arent that high for the village either, and the Sci-Fi special of his didnt even warrant my attention. i agree, he is getting pretty full of himself. Maybe Village will flop, and he will get the hint to sit down and put some more thought into his next project.

Success has murdered better talent in the past....
Old 07-20-2004, 05:56 AM
Undead

Agreed completely, except for the "only the endings sucked" in "Unbreakable" and "Signs". Both bored me until the end, at which point I was hit with a horribly corny ending.

Still, I can see how a movie like Sixth Sense would make this guy go script-crazy and write down anything he thought of. Unfortuntaly, today's society eat's that shit up rather than spitting it back at his face. Dismal sales will be the only thing bringing Night down a peg and make him actually think about the story first.

And personally, just becuase you have a middle name like "Night" doesn't make you spooky. Especially if your first name is "Manoj".
Old 07-20-2004, 06:42 AM
Fear scented candle

I agree. he is a shitty actor. He looks like a guy i used to work with, and everyone used to give him shit because he was absolutely RETARDED when it came to women... They both looked about as intimidating as a care bear.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:20 PM
Tonight belongs to HIM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vodstok
I agree. he is a shitty actor. He looks like a guy i used to work with, and everyone used to give him shit because he was absolutely RETARDED when it came to women... They both looked about as intimidating as a care bear.
What actor are you talking about?
Old 07-20-2004, 01:33 PM
PRIVATE EYE

Send a message via AIM to nine9
Re: The Village - A new SIGN of Suckness

Quote:
Originally posted by downside
Ok. This is really an opinion poll, so please feel free to let them fly. Here's an example.

"M. Night Shyamalan" is to "Movies" as "Vanilla Ice/4 Non-Blondes/Right Said Fred" is to "Music". Put simply, a one hit wonder.

Granted, "The Sixth Sense" was a box office hit monetary wise, and (personally) was a little creppy from time to time, with a hint of drama and suspence. After all, name another movie where one of the New Kids on the Block stands nearly naked mumbling with a gun in a bathroom.

That being said, a huge wad of cash and a "good job" was more than enough. BUt then, I was suckered into two movies not suitable for humans; "Unbreakable" and "Signs". The creepiness and curiousness were there, but it lacked story/modd/meaning/non-sucktitude. I have a feeling that "The Village" will be this as well.

First it was "why is this guy strong" and then it was "why are there circles in my crops". Now it's "what's in the forrest" and "why doesn't it like red?" It's kinda like the smoker at the party who thinks he's being smart or philosofical, but really is being over-dramatic to the point where it's funny.

And to top it off, Night made an appearance...a critical appearance in "Signs" as being (a) the reason Mel Gibson was messed up in the head and (b) the person that caught "the crop circle freak". His acting was sub-par the seens he had were more like little "I'm cool. I did this" tributes to himself.

All in all, that freak has taken me and friends for $15 each, and we want it back. His slightly engrossing stories are loose near the ending, he's had one good hit and multiple losers, and he gloats like nothing I've seen before (even going so far as to do a documentary about himself). As far as I can see, the man is milking it.

Downside

P.S. What the f*ck was the deal with aliens being hurt by baseball bats and <gasp> water??? And this guy is suppose to be creative!
I TOTALLY COULDN"T AGREE MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have holding out hope for The Village though!

He seems to have some of the knack for horror........just doesn't know how to carry it through!
Old 07-20-2004, 03:21 PM
Something about a pillow

I think Sixth Sense was a wonderful movie. Great story, great atmospere and all that. I seem to be alone in saying that I enjoyed Signs quite a bit. I was actually scared a couple times. The ending was a bit hokey, but I can handle that.

Unbreakable was pure crap. Boring movie. Horrible ending. The only adjective I can think of is POINTLESS. It was just a boring story leading up to nothing.

So he has only one strike against him in my book. I am really excited to see The Village, even the commercials have good atmosphere to them.

I tend to love little cameos from anyone in movies, especially directors. Now that I think about it, he does act almost cocky about them though.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:41 PM
Anybody seen my boner?

I guess I'm just old and easy to please but I like all of M. Night Shyamalan movies and I'm really looking forward to The Village.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to donnie darkko
M. Night Rocks, The 6th sense was great, Signs was awsome and I cant wait for the village, why do so many people dislike M. Night one of the coolest directors ye hes no Eli Roth but hes still awsome
Old 07-21-2004, 12:01 PM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally posted by Hate_Breeder
What actor are you talking about?
M night in his cameo.