Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > New Member Lounge
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-19-2009, 04:00 PM
SATAN SATAN SATAN

New Horror dork

Hello,

I'm a crazy nutcase that lives in the midwest of the United States. I'm on IMDB a lot, so far I've written 128 reviews, mostly on crappy horror movies - and I frequent their message boards a lot (someone needs to tell people Titanic sucks, and often times, that someone is me).

Anyway I love horror. Film and books. I LIVE to discover a new bad horror movie to watch. Especially when I'm looking through FearNet's offering on Comcast On Demand. I freak out when I find a hidden gem - like Phantasm II or Nightbreed, both of which I recently watched and really enjoyed.

Let's see...oh, I also like to invoke Satan a lot, but all for laughs.

Some of my favorite horror films:

1) The Exorcist
2) Rosemary's Baby
3) The Shining
4) Night of the Living Dead
5) The Omen
6) Dawn of the Dead

The Exorcist is the finest horror film of all time. There is no discussion on this, it is simply much better than anything else ever made. Besides the plot, script, acting, direction and cinematography I think what makes this film so intense is the lack of music. There is only the minimal use of music, and for the rest of the film you're really focused on the events of the film. It's amazing.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few excellent movies. I do like your Freddy Krugers, Jason, Michael Mayers, Chucky, and any other franchise. I also love watching newer low-budget movies made this decade - anyone with a digital camera and access to a forest wants to make a horror movie these days, which are total crap - then writing scathing reviews on imdb and commenting on the actors message boards about how bad they suck. The only film of that kind that pulled it off was Hatchet.

I LOVE Romero's whole body of work. I just saw Bruiser, one of his non-zombie movies, it wasn't bad. The music of Night of the Living Dead is pretty much my favorite soundtrack ever. For a few reasons: No one uses orchestras for horror movies anymore. No analogue recording equipment is used anymore, and most importantly the NOTLD soundtrack is very modern. Interesting modern classical music will never, ever be used in any movie, be it low-budget horror or anything else. I loved Diary of the Dead and I think it was better than Land of the Dead.

Remakes suck and should be burned along with those that make them, such as Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Amytville Horror. Also anything by M. Night Shamalalaanasgdingdong sucks ass too and should be burned, crushed killed and destroyed.

I have a BIG lack in my horror movie viewing because I've never really watched Psycho or much other Hitchcock.

OK, that's all, I know all this is TL;DR but oh well.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Foxhole Atheist

Hello and welcome.

Sounds like you could make alot of interesting contributions! Stick around

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 05-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Cranky

Well, this intro is a mixed bag for me, but welcome.

First impression, off the bat:
OMG- One of those idiots from IMDB boards. I only read the IMDB message boards when I need a reminder of how many inflated egos there are on the internet, without any intellectual acumen to back it up. Every single board on IMDB will feature these posts: 1) THIS IS THE WORST MOVIE EVER - 2) THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER - 3) I SO DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THIS MOVIE WHAT DID THIS PART MEAN? 4)IF YOU DON'T LIKE THIS MOVIE YOU ARE A COMPLETE ASS 5) IF YOU LIKE THIS MOVIE YOU ARE A COMPLETE ASS.
It's beyond laughable. Anyways....

The finest horror film of all time is Bride of Frankenstein. There is no discussion on this, it is simply much better than anything else ever made. There. I can make an unequivocal statement too.

And FYI there are many film composers working today that use orchestral scores- Philip Glass, Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore and James Horner are just a few. And Glass and Horner have both scored horror films.

And I rather thought The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were excellent movies.

I like your fave 6. All great movies. You'll find quite a few fans of bad movies here as well, so you should have a good time here as long as your skin isn't too thin. Browse around, join in, and have fun.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff

Last edited by neverending; 05-19-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:30 AM
SATAN SATAN SATAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Well, this intro is a mixed bag for me, but welcome.

First impression, off the bat:
OMG- One of those idiots from IMDB boards. I only read the IMDB message boards when I need a reminder of how many inflated egos there are on the internet, without any intellectual acumen to back it up. Every single board on IMDB will feature these posts: 1) THIS IS THE WORST MOVIE EVER - 2) THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER - 3) I SO DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THIS MOVIE WHAT DID THIS PART MEAN? 4)IF YOU DON'T LIKE THIS MOVIE YOU ARE A COMPLETE ASS 5) IF YOU LIKE THIS MOVIE YOU ARE A COMPLETE ASS.
It's beyond laughable. Anyways....

The finest horror film of all time is Bride of Frankenstein. There is no discussion on this, it is simply much better than anything else ever made. There. I can make an unequivocal statement too.

And FYI there are many film composers working today that use orchestral scores- Philip Glass, Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore and James Horner are just a few. And Glass and Horner have both scored horror films.

And I rather thought The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were excellent movies.

I like your fave 6. All great movies. You'll find quite a few fans of bad movies here as well, so you should have a good time here as long as your skin isn't too thin. Browse around, join in, and have fun.
Lol, you gotta understand something: I have the EXACT same opinion as you about people on the IMDB boards, the only reason I'm ever on there is just to mess with people. And to occassionally see if I can find stuff out about a film - for example I didn't know Nightbreed had 25 minutes of missing footage.

Are you serious about Bride of Frankenstein? Or is that sarcasm, either way unequivocal statements are fun.

Good call on the composers. I know I wasn't remembering a lot. But, I'm sorry I hate John Horner. He composed the music for Titanic and that is a sin I will never forgive. It's unoriginal deritive wishy-washy music ripped off from various composers from the Romantic period. Howard Shore and Hans Zimmer are cool. I have a Hans Zimmer album on vinyl from the 70s. I'm quite familiar with Philip Glass, even seen him give a lecture. I love that he does use modern techniques, however I'm really really really into Steve Reich and much prefer his minimalism composing to Philip Glass (Reich does not score movies, he's just a composer).

Yea, 6th Sense was good, I liked Unbreakable too. I wasn't really thinking of those. It's just the Signs, the Village movie and The Happening were so awful and useless and just plain bad in every way (well I like some thing about the Happening but those actors need to burned at the stake).
Old 05-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Quote:

I think you've forgotten about a little film called Beast of Yucca Flats? Ever heard of it. Game. Set. Match. Faustus is law!
Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Cranky

Well, you may think unequivocal statements are funk, but they don't make much sense when they don't actually mean what you're trying to say. For instance, in your first post you say:

Quote:
Also anything by M. Night Shamalalaanasgdingdong sucks ass too and should be burned, crushed killed and destroyed.
Then in your second post you say:

Quote:
Yea, 6th Sense was good, I liked Unbreakable too. I wasn't really thinking of those.
Using that logic you could say- I can't stand Hitchcock. Everything he directed was such crep. Well, really I was just thinking of Family Plot when I said that, I didn't think of Psycho or Rope.

You make the statement there are no composers using orchestral score in film today and when I provide you with the names of four that are, you dismiss them by saying I don't like one because he did a score I don't like and another I prefer a different composer that doesn't do films scores to him. WTF? Neither of these points have anything to do with my statement. Your original statement was wrong and remains wrong.

And yes, I was serious about Bride of Frankenstein. OMG- I have a different opinion than you! How can that be????

Anyway, I don't want to appear as if I'm attacking you- sloppy thinking is just a pet peeve of mine. Venture out of the newbie forum and join in the fun here.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
I think you've forgotten about a little film called Beast of Yucca Flats? Ever heard of it. Game. Set. Match. Faustus is law!
Damn you Faustus! It's close- nearly as great as Bride of Frank... and certainly light years ahead of The Exorcist.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Mephistophiliac

Obtrusive beat poetry style narration= horror gold.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:17 AM
SATAN SATAN SATAN

Quote:
Well, you may think unequivocal statements are funk, but they don't make much sense when they don't actually mean what you're trying to say. For instance, in your first post you say:

Then in your second post you say:

Using that logic you could say- I can't stand Hitchcock. Everything he directed was such crep. Well, really I was just thinking of Family Plot when I said that, I didn't think of Psycho or Rope.

You make the statement there are no composers using orchestral score in film today and when I provide you with the names of four that are, you dismiss them by saying I don't like one because he did a score I don't like and another I prefer a different composer that doesn't do films scores to him. WTF? Neither of these points have anything to do with my statement. Your original statement was wrong and remains wrong.

And yes, I was serious about Bride of Frankenstein. OMG- I have a different opinion than you! How can that be????

Anyway, I don't want to appear as if I'm attacking you- sloppy thinking is just a pet peeve of mine. Venture out of the newbie forum and join in the fun here.
Dude, chill.

What, specifically, makes Bride of Frankenstein the best and better than the Exorcist? If I ever saw BoF it was a looooong time ago so I don't remember, so I'm genuinely interested.

Philip Glass is a minimalist composer, he is one of four main composers that created that entire way of composing, Reich is one of the others, calm down - my statements aren't that big of a deal, and were conversational. Humans use logic lazily in general discourse - yes even you, Bertrand. Meaning can be and is still effectively conveyed. HOWever, your run-on sentence:

"You make the statement there are no composers using orchestral score in film today and when I provide you with the names of four that are, you dismiss them by saying I don't like one because he did a score I don't like and another I prefer a different composer that doesn't do films scores to him."

Shows you need to calm down and read more slowly next time. I only dismissed Horner, and then agreed with you about the others - because you brought them to my attention. I don't know or care how this could be a problem.

My original statement was wrong? Name a modern film that uses analogue equipment to record an orchestral score that doesn't derive it's music from other (old and dead) composers. I would really like to see such a film if it's out there - I was just saying how I liked that about NOTLD, that's all, there was nothing else to follow through with there - I don't hear that in other films, I liked that about NOTLD, end of story. You mentioned other composers that you think did that, so that's cool, I appreciate that, I have no idea what the problem would be otherwise. People like Horner and Williams (and probably Shore sometimes) lift passages directly from Stravinsky, Strauss and Holst (just to name a few) for almost every film they've done. In fact if it wasn't for The Planets many film composers would have to find another source to take from. I also really like Jerry Goldsmith, he's great.

We're talking about movies here, most of them bad. I'm not going to care how sloppy my thinking is, I'm not performing brain surgery, sorry.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Mephistophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorible_Horror_Films View Post
Hello,

The Exorcist is the finest horror film of all time. There is no discussion on this, it is simply much better than anything else ever made. Besides the plot, script, acting, direction and cinematography I think what makes this film so intense is the lack of music. There is only the minimal use of music, and for the rest of the film you're really focused on the events of the film. It's amazing.
A bit bloated, though. It's about half an hour too long and as such, I think there are many finer, more economical horror films that overshadow it. Have you seen Ulmer's the Black Cat?