Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-17-2006, 11:02 PM
No charge for awesomeness

Here's the deal...

This lady wants to have the right to express her disdain for homosexuality.

Anything wrong with that? No. She has the right to free speech and the right to follow whatever religion she wants, even if it is a gainst homosexuality, so there's nothing wrong with her wanting to be able to speak out against it.

If she went out and assaulted a gay person over it, that would be wrong, but so is assaulting anyone, gay or not.

I am in 100% agreeance that she should not have to fear consequences for simply speaking her mind. I do it all the time. If that is the 'Tolerance Rule' her school has, then I am on her side on this one.

I also agree with whoever it was in the article that said, being gay is a choice and not a born trait like skin color or sex. I don't think anyone is born gay, I think that somewhere along the way they either decide to become gay and because of that, I don't think homosexuality should be a proteced class.

Christians are subjected to ridicule ALL THE TIME!!!! (If you don't believe me, turn on South Park or pretty much any other popular sitcom and see for yourself.) Do the Christians like being subjected to ridicule all the time? Probably not, but we live in a country with free speech so they deal with it. Just like the gay folks can deal with the fact that not everyone approves of what they're doing.

BR- you are looking way too deeply into this because I believe it's a rather shallow issue. I don't think this lady wants to educate people about the evils of gayness or straighten them out (I'm sure she would do that if she could, but I don't think that's her goal here.) I think she simply wants to have the right to be able to say she doesn't approve of it because according to her faith, it's wrong.

It's a fine line, but like I said, I don't think homosexuals should be a protected class but I do certainly agree with everyone's right to freedom of religion, therefore I'm on her side here. She should be able to be as intolerant as she wants. If she has to sue to make it happen, then I guess that just goes to show how fucked up our system is.

The general vibe our society is sending out these days is...

"You can insult Jews, Christians, Men and White people all you want, but don't you fuckin dare say a word about gay people, minorities or women or someone will be calling for your head on a stake."

:rolleyes:

Fuck that. Free speech.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:37 PM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Quote:
Originally posted by bwind22
BR- you are looking way too deeply into this because I believe it's a rather shallow issue.
You're probably right....I'm just trying to say "live and let live"....I don't think it's anyone's place to tell other people how they should live...And I believe the 'tolerance policy' was most likely enacted to prevent people from causing fights, and insulting people...I don't know why THAT would offend her so much...

I guess that's probably all that I should have said in the first place

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be
Old 04-18-2006, 03:03 AM
No charge for awesomeness

Quote:
Originally posted by bloodrayne
You're probably right....I'm just trying to say "live and let live"....I don't think it's anyone's place to tell other people how they should live...And I believe the 'tolerance policy' was most likely enacted to prevent people from causing fights, and insulting people...I don't know why THAT would offend her so much...

I guess that's probably all that I should have said in the first place
I totally see what you're saying and who can disagree with Live and Let Live? (Except maybe those terrorist fuckers.) Personally, I am not real vocal about ripping on gay people or anything, but I'd like to know I could if I wanted to. If someone tries to tell you that you CAN'T say something to someone, they are impeding your free speech, which is what (to me at least) it seems like this issue is really all about.