Old 09-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
Paranormal Activity was totally ruined for me by viewing in a theatre full of noisy teenagers...Messed up the atmosphere...

Theres a few other 'fake' snuff films that use the 'Found Footage/First person perspective' device:

The Last Horror Movie
Snuff
Tumbling Doll of Flesh
Snuff 102
Flower of Flesh and Blood/The Devils Experiment (as far as I remember)
Emanuelle in America (to a small degree)
I've never seen any of those either. I'll have to check them out. As for your first point, that's become a problem in seeing movies in the theaters at least for me lately. When i saw Don't Be Afraid of The Dark, there were a group of teenage girls who wouldn't shut up. What is the point of seeing a movie if you're just going to be loud and talk the whole time and not even about the movie?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:09 AM
For Vendetta

Superb thread topic, Villain. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
So last night i watched Apollo 18, the latest edition to the found footage craze but unfortunately not the last with Paranormal Activity 3 coming out later this year and an American version of Troll Hunter in the works as well i'm sure many other's im not aware of.

So i was very disappointed in Apollo 18 and generally am getting sick of this style of movie making. I started to think about all the found footage movies that there have been lately because of this and which one's i liked and disliked. Here's my opinion on the ones that i can think of.

Disappointing. Was really looking forward to Apollo 18. Will see it nevertheless.

The Blair Witch Project: Really dull and kind of silly. It only had one moment that could be considered creepy and it definitely wasnt enough to redeem the whole movie. In my opinion, i don't think this would have been as big as it was without people thinking that it was real. So kudos to the marketing department on that one.

Agreed 100%. This was the one which started the whole craze but I really don't see why they like this. It isn't even worth a second view, IMO.

Paranormal Activity: I found it interesting but i think it's hype and mystique were the only things it had going for it. Repeat viewings expose this movie for what it is, redundant and boring. The movie is watched to see what happens next instead of enjoying the story.

Again agreed. The movie is great for a first view, only.

Paranormal Activity 2: Much like the first one without the wonder of what will happen next as it's nothing different from the first. They tried to put more of a story into it but the constant boring shots of the living room/pool and other locations of the house without anything happen null out anything else the movie had going for it which wasnt much. I get they were trying to build suspense but they really failed with that.

Duller than the first. A few interesting turns in the second half try to make up, but it's not much to write home about.

Cloverfield: The reviews on this one seemed to be mixed but i for one really enjoyed it. There's a lot about the camera work that takes away the realism effect and there's enough shaky cam elements to make you think you're watching a Jason Bourne movie but i love giant monster movies (so i'm probably biased) but i really enjoyed the movie. Much like Blair Witch, the best thing about this movie was probably the marketing as much about the film was kept secret and i think a lot of people went to see it mostly out of curiosity. This film also seems to get a lot of grief that other found footage movies don't even though the complaints are typical to this kind of film such as the ending.

Really superb and gripping till the end. One of the best films in this category, IMO. Not to mention one of my faves as well.

Troll Hunter: One of my favorites along with Cloverfield. The story was great, the camera work was excellent and i loved the Trolls. (Once again my love of giant monster movies come into play)

Fantastic film. This is a milestone and a big example of how they should make such movies. Ranks at the top.

The Last Exorcism: The biggest thing i've heard people complain about with this one is the ending. Much like Cloverfield people seem to give this one some unwarranted grief. I however really liked the ending and thought the build up and story before that was very interesting.

Haven't seen it yet. Thanks for the heads-up.

REC: Very interesting "zombie" movie and a great use of the found footage technique.

Yet another superb effort. Funny how the two good ones of this category of films come from foreign studios (Troll Hunter being the other). A genuinely scary film.

REC 2: What i really liked about this one was instead of going the Paranormal Activity 2 route and trying to duplicate the success of the first, this one gave us a completely different kind of movie and story that still went along with the first one. Really well done.

Very classy. It doesn't give the vibes of a sequel either, except for some links with the original story. Well done sequel. Thumbs up.

Quarantine: Pretty much a shot for shot remake of REC with the exception of the different ending. Still very good though.

Haven't seen this either, just because I didn't think it would measure up to the original. Still, looks like I have to give it a watch. Thanks for the heads-up again.

The Poughkeepsie Tapes: This one is done with more of a documentary style then watching things unfold as the characters themselves do. I found this to be really disturbing and i enjoyed it.

The best film in this category so far, IMO. The production, direction and the docu-drama style of found footage makes it an exemplary example and a must-watch. Ranks at the top of my list.

Lake Mungo: Totally boring. They didnt even try to give a feel that what you were watching could possibly be real or at least that the characters thought it was real. The whole thing felt like the dramatizations from one of those ghost shows where the people talk about times they witnessed a haunting.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Very uninspiring film.

Monster: Rip-off of Cloverfield. Boring with really bad effects. Not worth watching at all.

Megan Is Missing: Pretty lame. The only thing the movie had going for it were the last couple moments where there actually was some scary elements. But it also had one scene that was so long and boring that dragged on forever that i actually found myself fast forwarding. I guess i liked it but it was nothing special.

Haven't seen these, and glad I haven't.

From this list, i would say my favorites were Cloverfield and The Troll Hunter and the worst i had seen were Monster and Lake Mungo. Obviously there are a lot not included as there are the only one's I've seen. I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks about these movies and other's that i haven't seen and what is everyone's opinion on Found Footage movies. I think the craze is dying and for good reason. It's become overdone and i think people are getting tired of it. I don't think they should completely stop but maybe just be more spread out.
My replies in Bold/Italic, bud.

My top 5 in this category -

The Poughkeepsie Tapes
Troll Hunter
Rec
Cloverfield
Rec 2

...in that order.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:31 PM
From The Beyond

My favourites are definitely Man Bites Dog, The Last House On Dead End Street, Snuff, Rec and Rec 2. I also saw Blair Witch Project at the time (we knew it wasn't real by the time if got to the UK) in the cinema with a VERY noisy crowd (the adults were just as loud as kids)so killed the atmosphere to it.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:31 PM
From The Beyond

Not seen The Poughkeepsie Tapes yet though.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Superb thread topic, Villain. Thanks.

My replies in Bold/Italic, bud.

My top 5 in this category -

The Poughkeepsie Tapes
Troll Hunter
Rec
Cloverfield
Rec 2

...in that order.
Thanks V, glad you liked it. I definitely agree with you on your top 5 although i would probably put Cloverfield above REC and probably Troll Hunter at the top. Poughkeepsie Tapes definitely ranks high though. That really stuck with me and movie's don't do that to me anymore.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Favorites:

Noroi: The Curse
Saw this today. It was very good. It had a little smattering of several horror elements, so there was something for everyone.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
I'll have to agree with Roshiq that Home Movie is one of the best of this type of film.

I also found Paranormal Activity to be one of the best horror films of the 2000s. It's a shame so many people have lost the capacity to enjoy a film that takes the time to build up the atmosphere and create real characters that can be empathized with, instead of the modern formulaic style of a jump element every 8.3 minutes to regain the attention of audiences who are too busy sending text messages to pay attention to the subtleties of what's going on.
Agree, agree, agree!!

I loved Home Movie - Incredibly underrated and overlooked - Talk about a disturbing slow-burner - One of the best "Found Footage" films that I've ever scene.

Also loved Paranormal Activity, though I wish that I had watched it at home instead of in the theater - I had the misfortune of being accompanied by an incredibly annoying audience. :mad: I'll need to watch it again - Alone, in the dark of my apartment. :D

To be honest, whenever I look back and think about movies that truly scared me, Blair Witch Project is definitely at the top of my list - I found that movie absolutely horrifying and loved how it intertwined the interviews with "local lore" to build up to that iconic climactic scene - I'd say that, of all of the movies mentioned, this is my hands-down absolute favorite.

It's a shame that no one seems to like Lake Mungo as much as I did. Aside from it's ridiculously terrible name, I thought that this was a fantastic creepy slow-burner that really gave me goose bumps. NE - I do think you'd like this if you haven't seen it - The Horrorfest films have been appearing free on Comcast lately, so it's possible that it might be available now if you want to check it out.

As for Rec vs. Quarantine, this is one of those few scenarios where I actually liked the remake better, only because I liked its change on the ending more than the original. Both good films, though it's too bad that the heroine was so friggin annoying (in both of them, no less!).

Cloverfield I need to watch again - For some reason my boyfriend invited his friggin family when we want to see it and they kinda talk through movies. BAH. :mad: Pissed me off. I need to watch it again.

Trollhunter was an absolute blast, though I think it dragged a bit. Regardless, I think it's a fun watch.

The Last Exorcism was kinda silly - I wasn't a huge fan, maybe because it was talked up A LOT prior to my seeing it... I guess I was disappointed, but that's what happens when you have high expectations. It wasn't bad - I just couldn't always suspend my disbelief.

Has anyone seen Yellowbrickroad? Such an odd little flick - Incredibly uneven, but I feel like it actually had quite a bit of potential. A bit silly, but there were parts of it that I liked a lot. My boyfriend liked it more than I did, but ultimately it did have us talking for hours afterward, so I guess that's a good thing.

I haven't seen The Poughkeepsie Tapes - Can't get my hands on it... But I really really want to see it.

I haven't finished Monsters yet, but I liked what I saw.

I guess my absolute favorites in the genre:
  • Blair With Project
  • Home Movie
  • Paranormal Activity
  • Quarantine
  • Cloverfield

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 09-07-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Agree, agree, agree!!

I loved Home Movie - Incredibly underrated and overlooked - Talk about a disturbing slow-burner - One of the best "Found Footage" films that I've ever scene.

Also loved Paranormal Activity, though I wish that I had watched it at home instead of in the theater - I had the misfortune of being accompanied by an incredibly annoying audience. :mad: I'll need to watch it again - Alone, in the dark of my apartment. :D

To be honest, whenever I look back and think about movies that truly scared me, Blair Witch Project is definitely at the top of my list - I found that movie absolutely horrifying and loved how it intertwined the interviews with "local lore" to build up to that iconic climactic scene - I'd say that, of all of the movies mentioned, this is my hands-down absolute favorite.

It's a shame that no one seems to like Lake Mungo as much as I did. Aside from it's ridiculously terrible name, I thought that this was a fantastic creepy slow-burner that really gave me goose bumps. NE - I do think you'd like this if you haven't seen it - The Horrorfest films have been appearing free on Comcast lately, so it's possible that it might be available now if you want to check it out.

As for Rec vs. Quarantine, this is one of those few scenarios where I actually liked the remake better, only because I liked its change on the ending more than the original. Both good films, though it's too bad that the heroine was so friggin annoying (in both of them, no less!).

Cloverfield I need to watch again - For some reason my boyfriend invited his friggin family when we want to see it and they kinda talk through movies. BAH. :mad: Pissed me off. I need to watch it again.

Trollhunter was an absolute blast, though I think it dragged a bit. Regardless, I think it's a fun watch.

The Last Exorcism was kinda silly - I wasn't a huge fan, maybe because it was talked up A LOT prior to my seeing it... I guess I was disappointed, but that's what happens when you have high expectations. It wasn't bad - I just couldn't always suspend my disbelief.

Has anyone seen Yellowbrickroad? Such an odd little flick - Incredibly uneven, but I feel like it actually had quite a bit of potential. A bit silly, but there were parts of it that I liked a lot. My boyfriend liked it more than I did, but ultimately it did have us talking for hours afterward, so I guess that's a good thing.

I haven't seen The Poughkeepsie Tapes - Can't get my hands on it... But I really really want to see it.

I haven't finished Monsters yet, but I liked what I saw.

I guess my absolute favorites in the genre:
  • Blair With Project
  • Home Movie
  • Paranormal Activity
  • Quarantine
  • Cloverfield
Poughkeepsie tapes seems to be pretty hard to find. I lucked out.

I actually agree with you on REC. I actually liked the ending of Quarantine better then REC but with the inclusion of the second one i have to say i like the REC series better then Quarantine. On its own though, i would say i prefer Quarantine.

Also just to clarify again, its Monster not Monsters. Two different films and only one of them is found footage.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

My faves:

Cannibal Holocaust

Man Bites Dog

Blair Witch

Mordum

Troll Hunter
Old 09-08-2011, 08:45 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Poughkeepsie tapes seems to be pretty hard to find. I lucked out.

I actually agree with you on REC. I actually liked the ending of Quarantine better then REC but with the inclusion of the second one i have to say i like the REC series better then Quarantine. On its own though, i would say i prefer Quarantine.

Also just to clarify again, its Monster not Monsters. Two different films and only one of them is found footage.
I haven't seen Monster. Monsters, however seemed good. ;)

Haven't seen Quarantine 2 but, man, from what I hear it's awful.

Ferox - Thanks for the heads up on Man Bites Dog - That looks great. Adding to Netflix queue now.

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 09-08-2011 at 08:50 AM.