Old 11-12-2008, 01:36 AM
Cranky

Manchurian Candidate. (The real one)

Still a gripping, terrifying political thriller. Sinatra & Harvey are amazing, as is Angela Lansbury.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 11-12-2008, 03:00 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
What'd you think? I just watched it about two hours ago.
Pretty good entertainer. Obviously the CGI again emerged as the real hero, but Del Toro's eye for masterful cinematography and artwork makes this a real winner. Technically, 5 stars.

Had a blast checking out all the extra features on the bonus discs. Del Toro has given some amazing commentary, plus the documentaries rock.

Last watched - Reign of Fire.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Evil Dead

I watched Saw V last night. It wasn't anything great but didn't suck either. Some of the kills were good again but it's obvious the series is losing steam. They have to do some serious rethinking if they are going to continue with these.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:27 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Repo: The Genetic Opera

Musicals are tricky. Even the best ones have flaws and very few are capable of changing the mind of those who simply can't stand musicals. I happen to like them. I've toured the country in several musical productions, so that plus my undying (or is it undead?) love of horror made me a prime candidate to really enjoy Repo.

I didn't.

To put it bluntly...The entire film is a colosal failure. The songs are tuneless and forgettable, the actors (with the exception of Anthony Head and Sarah Brightman) have no business doing musicals - they lacked voices and looked uncomfortable singing, the cinematography is off-putting, comic book-style panels place waaaaaay too much expository text on the screen (lazy writing) and the cardinal sin...

None of our protagonists are victims of the Repo Man! The villian only slashes nameless characters, so there is no impact to the gore and not a hint of tension. The key to drama is to have a protagonist and an antagonist in direct opposition to each other. This film give you no one to root for or even care about.

And the lyrics? Laughable. And I mean that literally. The half-dozen or so of us in the otherwise empty theater laughed out loud repeatedly at the ridiculous of the words clunking out of the actors' mouths.

I really wanted to like this and typically don't like to post negative reviews, but this one is a film to avoid.

I was conflicted about Sweeny Todd last year. I thought it was a wonderfully gorey effort with a great, gothic vibe but wasn't much a fan of the music. Repo made me long for Sonheim.

On the positive side, the costumes and set designs were really cool and there were a lot of skanky goth chicks wearing very little - which I always enjoy. Anthony Head really goes for it. His scenes are the very best stuff in the film.

4/10

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon

Last edited by Roderick Usher; 11-12-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post
On the positive side, the costumes and set designs were really cool ....

i met and had a nice chat with the cosume designer on the set of "? of the Dead"

she's a really nice gal. I still have 2 pairs of her gloves.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Mikey B

Last night I watched Fortress.

Today I need to finish The Haunted Strangler.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:05 AM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
9 to 5- 6.5/10 Oddly enough, that was a pretty damn outrageous movie.

The Brady Bunch Movie- 7/10 I think this movie is so underrated.

TCM: The Beginning- 8/10 I think this is the best of the TCM films. It's actually really tense I think. The gore is fantastic and all but one of the kills are intensely gory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 11-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Atrocity Exhibition

Cheech and Chong's Up In Smoke - 8/10.

One of the funnies flicks I've seen in a little while. The acid scene was awesome.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:18 AM
HDC Resident Cynic

Return To Sleepaway Camp - 4/10
I'm a fan of the 1st one and it has the same director, so I just had to see it. Cheesy as fuck, but I knew it would be.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
The Strangers- 7/10

Slow at first, but still reignites the modern slasher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real