Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Evil Dead

Watched Deranged 1974 and Ed Gein: The Butcher of Plainfield 2007.

Deranged wasn't bad, but parts of it dragged so badly I had to fast forward. One curious thing is, while it's a story about Ed Gein, they renamed him Ezra Cobb. For what reason, I have no idea. It was sort of nice to also see Tom Savini's first make-up effects. They weren't as stunning as say TCM 2 or Maniac, but they weren't bad considering there was probably no budget.

The Butcher of Plainfield was pretty terrible, and I blame Kane Hodder. I don't understand why anyone likes this guy other than the fact that he's accessible, and will do an interview for anyone who has a pen and a notepad. He can't act, and he was a terrible Jason, sorry. Plus, he's the antithesis of what makes people like Ed Gein scary. Ed Gein was just a regular guy, not some steroid pumped behemoth. That's part of what makes most serial killers scary, they're regular people that you wouldn't expect to be mass killers.
The only thing I really liked about this movie was the soundtrack. RObert Johnson, Bukka White, a lot of great old timey blues! And while I love old blues, it had no business being in this movie. The movie was supposed to take place in 1950's Wisconsin. Sure Johnson and White's recordings were 20 years old by this time, but am I supposed to believe that people from Wisconsin were rocking out to old timey blues? It was probably illegal in wisconsin to even play music from a black man back then.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Misanthrope

Deranged is awesome one of my favourite horror films. I didn't think it dragged at all. It's the best Gein flick hands down for me.

Yeah it was ridiculous how they made Gein a giant meathead. Fucking idiotic film on so many levels. Ed Gein: The Butcher of Plainfield was utter shit and so inaccurate. Definitely agree with you on Kane Hodder terrible actor... hate how he wears those fucking gloves all the time like does he suddenly expect to run into some weights to lift out of the blue or something.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Deranged is awesome one of my favourite horror films. I didn't think it dragged at all. It's the best Gein flick hands down for me.

Yeah it was ridiculous how they made Gein a giant meathead. Fucking idiotic film on so many levels. Ed Gein: The Butcher of Plainfield was utter shit and so inaccurate. Definitely agree with you on Kane Hodder terrible actor... hate how he wears those fucking gloves all the time like does he suddenly expect to run into some weights to lift out of the blue or something.
I totally agree that Deranged is the best Ed Gein movie out there (besides movies that are loose interpretations, like Psycho or TCM).

And getting back to Kane Hodder for a sec... I watched some Nightmare on Elm Street retrospective (I think It was called Never Sleep Again), and after I watched what they had to say about the first 3, I stopped paying attention (It was more or less RObert Shaye talking about how much money the movies made, and making snide cracks at FT13th). SO anyway, I'm not paying attention and I look up on the screen, and kane Hodder is being interviewed. I got confused, so I scanned back to see what the hell he would be doing on a documentary about NOES. Turns out, he's bitching and whining about not being cast for Freddy vs Jason. He even had the audacity to say "I wasn't even consulted about playing the role". And he wasn't being sarcastic or humorous. he was actually perturbed about it. As if anyone really cares that he's played Jason more than anybody else, or it gives him some authority. He played Jason in Part 8. I would think people at horror conventions would want to kick him in the balls for that, not get his autograph
Old 03-27-2012, 04:41 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearonsarms View Post
Bug (2006) Superb psycho-drama from William Friedkin adapted from a stage play which was "too extreme" for the Cannes Film Festival audience it premiered at. Jaw dropping acting and characterizations bring a gorgeous intensity to every inch of this film with a growing nervous unease that continues to disturb the viewer as it progresses with barely time to digest the multitude of concepts on offer. Gripping.
Awesome movie. Michael Shannon is so good in it.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadliquor View Post
. He even had the audacity to say "I wasn't even consulted about playing the role". And he wasn't being sarcastic or humorous. he was actually perturbed about it. As if anyone really cares that he's played Jason more than anybody else, or it gives him some authority.
Yeah that's always got on my nerves. Any big guy (skilled in stunt work etc) could throw on the mask and be Jason the role has basically no personalty at all. I don't notice the difference between any of different actors playing Jason to be honest. Just your typical washout milking the convention circuit.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
I like Olaf Ittenbach's flicks. Some have better acting/storylines than others but the gore is always pretty impressive. He's done some of the better low budget horror films out there.
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Медвежуть View Post
i couldn't sit through it. kinda cheap + bad acting. it reminded me Fetus (2008)
for some reason. probably cause i had the same question in my mind "Why did they even spend time making that? could go shoot some squirrels instead"
There are far cheap & crap films than this one they are now & then making these days coming from independent or little to big production studios. I only somewhat agree with you on the bad/poor acting parts in that movie but other than that it's a pretty decent effort with great gore & a fine story.

Intruders (2011)

Not bad but they could have done more with the idea of Legend of Hollow Face.

>>: B

Dark Tide (2011)

>>: C
Old 03-28-2012, 05:08 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfan View Post
Hugo

Why didn't I know that Christopher Lee is in this movie?! :eek:
What did you think? Definitely one of the best movies of the year in my opinion.

The Hunger Games (2012)

So. I loved the books. Absolutely loved them, hands down. And if you haven't read them, you should absolutely read them immediately.

Typically if I love source material that much, there is no way that the movies can possibly measure up (example: LOVED the Harry Potter books but was disappointed in the movies to be honest)... Oddly enough, I think that my undying love for the books made me love the movie - Director Gary Ross edited a lot out, but there's really only so much that you can fit into 2 hours... Plus my memory and adoration of the books filled in the gaps for me, and where it may have skimmed over details, I filled them in...

I think that part of my enjoyment for the movie came from not just how much I loved the books, but how much I really really REALLY wanted the movie to be incredible (I think it would have crushed me if my favorite books had been misrepresented and poorly done)...

So, while that was really long-winded what I'm trying to say is that I can't be objective here - I just loved the movie. Don't know if I can recommend it necessarily, but I really adored it... Biggest complaint was the disgusting miscasting of Lenny Kravits as Cinna (one of my favorite characters in the books!) and the odd casting of Woody Harrelson (don't get me wrong; I like Wood; but not as Hamish - no, no, no)... Also, Ross pussied out of some of the really climactic and violent scenes with overly-used shaky cam.

Other than that, I thought the acting was pretty solid; love

Anyhoo - My recommendation: Read the books. Absolutely. And then see the movie. Try to avoid comparisons to Battle Royale because then you'd REALLY be disappointed.

4/5.

Drive (2011)

Solid, impressive movie. Brilliant acting (can't believe that was Albert Brooks!) and some great direction; some really spectacular and intense scenes. I really wish I had seen it on the big screen; I don't think that the crappy little TV in my bedroom did it justice. Also, Gosling was just plain exceptional.

Recommended to everyone here who hasn't seen it.

4.5/5.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Hellraiser

Girlfriend and I just watched Kids yesterday. I'm a pretty big Harmony Korine fan. Although I have to say Kids is nowhere near his best work. Also, The Hunger Games seems way to much of a rip off of Battle Royale, which is amazing. Only book that I know of personally that takes place in real time. What I mean by that is, instead of giving you just a map of where the kids are, it will constantly update itself as to where they are and danger zones. Also, there is a movie for anyone who hasn't heard of it. To be fair, I have not looked "too" much into The Hunger Games, so it may just be my imagination.

Last edited by Slutty; 03-28-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:35 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slutty View Post
Also, The Hunger Games seems way to much of a rip off of Battle Royale, which is amazing. Only book that I know of personally that takes place in real time. What I mean by that is, instead of giving you just a map of where the kids are, it will constantly update itself as to where they are and danger zones. Also, there is a movie for anyone who hasn't heard of it. To be fair, I have not looked "too" much into The Hunger Games, so it may just be my imagination.
I am a huge, HUGE Battle Royale fan (well at least the movie; the book is sitting waiting for a nice vacation to be read)... I felt the same way before I read the The Hunger Games trilogy, but don't let it turn you off, though - Give it a shot - They're quick, engaging reads. At least be open-minded and try it before you shrug off the series completely. Also, I'd definitely read the books before seeing the movie (I know that everyone always says that but I feel that, as someone who appreciates horror, you will enjoy the books more).

I can love both The Hunger Games and Battle Royale separately - Two different worlds, two different sets of characters.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:51 PM
mostly ghostly?

I watched a Soviet WWII film called Come and See, and I don't even want to write a little bit about it because I wouldn't know where to start. Has anyone seen it?