Old 04-24-2006, 12:11 PM
NOT THE GUY YOU THINK

Send a message via AIM to SKOOFx
Involvement in Horror Flicks.

As far as i can remember(cliche sounding, im fully aware), i've always wanted to take part in the production of low budget horror.

I dont want to be famous, or get "props" for being credited in a movie, i simply want to assist independant/struggling film makers with their art.

how the fuck does someone go about this?
Maybe, assisting in simple gore efx/techniques, interning...whatever.

Every industry is competitive as hell.
The recording industry has taught me that there is a whole world filled with idiots who "just want to be kool", so im VERY aware that such a question can be easily brushed off as someone who is all "talk".

But nope, like i said - im not looking to even do this as a career. I chose my path, BUT since i really love horror, i wouldnt mind investing some of my time in taking part of a no budg-flick.

Basically, a creative outlet.

Last edited by SKOOFx; 04-24-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to chainleen Send a message via Yahoo to chainleen
If I was rich and didn't need to worry about money, I would be designing prop's/gore for horror movies. I love doing this, halloween is a blast for me because I am always the messiest person at the party.

I'm not sure though, when I lived in PA Frazetta's costume shop always had adds for indie horror movies, I think it depends on where you live.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Backyard Waterfall

I would also try local colleges...they often have cinema departments, and generally student film projects are looking for volunteers--as generally they are low-budget affairs. In fact, a lot of people have started out working on student films. You might find some work on a project like that, as a production assistant--although it might be good to pick up a few skills first so you can go in with a little experience or know-how in some focused area. Like maybe you could create some simple ways of doing violence effects/gore makeups. Your local library very likely has some books on stage makeup, and you could study up and pick up some pointers from there. Or on the Internet.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Can you dig it ?

Where are you located, SKOOFx ? I'm pretty sure I can point you towards somebody.
CK
Old 04-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Backyard Waterfall

Yessss, to Obi-Wan you listen! The cave--remember your failure at the caaaaaave...!
Old 04-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Can you dig it ?

"Between that thin little line that seperates Sanity from Insanity" doesn't appear on any maps I own I'm afraid LOL
CK
Old 04-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Backyard Waterfall

ha ha hahhhhh

(sigh)

oh, man, that was good.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:40 AM
No charge for awesomeness

I've found stuff in the past just by searching 'Casting Calls Minnesota' online before so maybe give something like that a shot and then check out about 20 lame websites until you end up finding one that is giving you just what you want. Also, poke around the Yahoo groups. The odds are there is a local filmmakers group somewhere near you. (I know there's like 3 or 4 in the Twin Cities here on Yahoo.)

Anyways, good luck. Have fun. And post regular updates.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:02 AM
NOT THE GUY YOU THINK

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterSadistro
Where are you located, SKOOFx ? I'm pretty sure I can point you towards somebody.
CK

I didnt think this post would receive any responses. After a few days without any replies, i assumed it was a dead topic.

As for your ?,
I'm from New York City.

I was thinking about heading over to Troma. I hear they are always looking for people to help them out, but as much as i love what they do, I dont know, something about it rubs me the wrong way.

And once again, for the record. This is not for a career, or to "jump start my road to fame" (HA!).
Im a sound engineer, and im happy with that.
I just love low budget horror, and i respect the individuals who put their time and effort into these "terrible" flicks so much, that i would be very happy in volunteering any service i can provide just to be of service and learn/ be a part of th experience.
(if i sound like a cornball.....go fuck yourself :D )

anyways. Is this a realistic request?
(A person who wants to be involved in something like this, without actuayl giving a fuck about receiving creditor money)

Or would i be up against thousand of chumps all looking to "be a part of the biz". Because thats how the audio field is, and it makes ne nautious. People dont do what they do because of passion, they do it because of image.

PS- to get an idea of my "terrible" taste and love for amatuer films, here are a few titles: Dead and Rotting, Corpses Are Forever,Monster Man,etc. (full moon/tempe stuff). Basically, i apprecaite these movies because you can actually see what the directors/cast are trying to accomplish. Even though they totally miss the mark, it makes you realized that making movies are NOT easy. When you see a "perfect" blockbuster, everything is soo mint, that you forget the effort put into it.

Last edited by SKOOFx; 04-28-2006 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:07 AM
NOT THE GUY YOU THINK

Filmaker:

With the "doing the research" comment.

I couldnt agree with you more. People nowadays, seach on the web for 20 minutes, and then cliam they are "skilled" and ready to jump into a certain line of work. If you cant do it right, why do it?

So yeah.

Im just inquiring.

but at the same time, I wouldnt open my mouth or try to jump into something without having some basic knowledge to get started.