Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Bad Natured

Nine Queens (2000). Descent enough con job flick, which was all the more interesting as it was set in Argentina. The story was pretty good and the acting was impressive. There was one rather unfair scene which only served to mislead the viewer, with maybe a couple of holes here and there, but overall worth the watch. The ending was a little contrived, but maybe there have been so many great "con" flicks that incredible endings (aka The Usual Suspects) are in short supply. Ashe.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:14 AM
That fucking Guy...

District 9.
Best movie I've seen this year...though I don't see a lot of new films...I thought it was really good, *slight spoiler*
The journey of the guy you start with to who he is at the end is a bit mental, the whole thing with *actual spoiler* the collaboration with the alien, was something I had no idea about and didn't expect either. I love that they gave both sides an actual "part". Cool surprise there
Oh, and some goddamn cool fucking weaponary going on there, VERY impressive effects.
Nice, attention holding movie. See it if you can still catch it on the big screen.

Last edited by cheebacheeba; 09-10-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
District 9.
Best movie I've seen this year...though I don't see a lot of new films...I thought it was really good, *slight spoiler*
The journey of the guy you start with to who he is at the end is a bit mental, the whole thing with *actual spoiler* the collaboration with the alien, was something I had no idea about and didn't expect either. I love that they gave both sides an actual "part". Cool surprise there
Oh, and some goddamn cool fucking weaponary going on there, VERY impressive effects.
Nice, attention holding movie. See it if you can still catch it on the big screen.
Ditto. It was bit unpredictable throughout the movie.
**Spoiler**
I love that scene when the alien robot freeze all the bullets & throw back to the underground gang soldiers, awesome. Btw, I thought it'd be interesting if they could show some details on 'Inter Species Prostitution':D**Spoiler**
Old 09-10-2009, 07:40 AM
For Vendetta

Visually stunning. Brilliant animation/cinematography.
Characterisation should have improved.
Ending is a slight let-down.
Gives off a distinct Wall-E vibe for some reason.
Best to watch - in theaters.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:23 AM
For Vendetta

Old 09-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Misanthrope

Massacre In Dinosaur Valley

Loved this trashy gem great mix of subgenres I had a blast.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Tenant

Re-visited a favorite with some friends last night:

Ace in the Hole (1951)

Like many of Wilder's best films, this one involves bad intentions gone worse. Hard-boiled and uncompromising, this story of greed and corruption paints a brutally accurate portrait of the power of the press, and the things it can do to humanity. Kirk Douglas was perfectly cast for this film; he is cocky but unstable, cartoonish but human, tough and weak simultaneously. His tough guy persona lends a helping hand to the already devilishly crafted Chuck Tatem. Molly Haskell poetically described this film as "noir in broad daylight", and I think that description paints a nice picture of the kind of strange genre hybrid Wilder constructs here. The ever sing-songy presence of the big daytime circus comes to a screeching clash with the story's dark themes, and the result is a fierce commentary on the human race still as funny, sad and relevant today as it was in 1951.

I still highly recommend this one to everyone on this site- it's got a little something for everybody. Fort, Return, Geddy, V, Roshiq and Pap Noir, I look at you especially!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Evil Puppy

Barton Fink
Old 09-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Waste Disposer

Dragon Hunters- awesome, brilliant, incredible, mind-blowing...

JCVD- Very good, rent it!
Van Damme should should play himself more often, I like him with a little soft creamy middle. Probably would save his career.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:28 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post
Re-visited a favorite with some friends last night:

Ace in the Hole (1951)

Like many of Wilder's best films, this one involves bad intentions gone worse. Hard-boiled and uncompromising, this story of greed and corruption paints a brutally accurate portrait of the power of the press, and the things it can do to humanity. Kirk Douglas was perfectly cast for this film; he is cocky but unstable, cartoonish but human, tough and weak simultaneously. His tough guy persona lends a helping hand to the already devilishly crafted Chuck Tatem. Molly Haskell poetically described this film as "noir in broad daylight", and I think that description paints a nice picture of the kind of strange genre hybrid Wilder constructs here. The ever sing-songy presence of the big daytime circus comes to a screeching clash with the story's dark themes, and the result is a fierce commentary on the human race still as funny, sad and relevant today as it was in 1951.

I still highly recommend this one to everyone on this site- it's got a little something for everybody. Fort, Return, Geddy, V, Roshiq and Pap Noir, I look at you especially!
Oh yeah, great film! It pairs nicely with Sidney Lumet's Network.