Old 01-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Pirate of Bengal

another close & sad elimination! Alky..you have already proved yourself to us in this competition, we'll miss you in coming rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
SCOREBOARD AFTER ELIMINATION ROUND #2
And now for...the grades :-

The winner of ER #2 is...

CHRONOGRL - with a solid overall Grade of A-!
Pls. Chrono, take a break honey!:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post

Third Place goes to...

ROSHIQ - overall Grade B!

[/b].
what a comeback after that very close call on previous round!:D

Last edited by roshiq; 01-22-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Wow! Second place? I'm amazed. I was expecting to be near the bottom. Thanks judges, and well done everyone else. Tough luck Alky, but you did do well.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 01-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

I was feeling pretty bad about my entry, but I had to put something out there due to deadline.

Sheesh, my the skin of my teeth after taking it all home the previous round is not good. I hope I don't disappoint next round.

Congrats, Chrono and everyone else. Alky, you put up a great fight and I know you're really pressed for time to. I look forward to competing with you in the next contest we're both in.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Tenant

Hey guys, this was fun! Thanks for the good sportsmanship, and the best of luck to all of you.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:35 PM
For Vendetta

ELIMINATION ROUND #3

I welcome all Finalists to the third Elimination Round of HDC Idol. Each round will result in the elimination of ONE of you until we reach the Final 3, who will advance on to the Grand Finale stage of HDC Idol.

Your third Challenge is a challenge, in every meaning of the word. It is a common one for all six of you, and it can be a real test of your intellect.

Choose a movie from the 1950s, 60s or 70s and turn it into your version of a 2009 remake.

Points to Note :-

- You have to mention the original's script outline, and possible tweaks you might be doing in your remake.

- You have to mention your casting for the various roles.

- You have to mention filming locations, if you have any specific ones in mind.

- You can elaborate on your film crew, if you think a particular member (music director, cinematographer, script-writer) should be a part of your remake.

- You have to outline your marketing strategy - including viral, if any. Mention how you would convince lovers of old horror movies to come and watch your remake.

Grades will be given out, and the worst Grader will be out of HDC Idol.

Also, if you do not answer your challenge within the stipulated time, you are automatically eliminated from HDC Idol.

Again, we may have more than one Finalist eliminated in Elimination Round #2 itself. Of course, the fittest will survive and continue on.

You have 48 Hours to do your research and post your entries (either on here or in a PM to me).

Best of Luck!!
Old 01-24-2009, 01:26 AM
No charge for awesomeness

I have mine shortlisted to 3, but I wanted to ask.... Is there any way we can get an extension of 3-4 hours on the deadline? I have a very busy Saturday and I work until 11 on Sunday (which is a half hour after the deadline.) so I'm not sure when I'll have a chunk of time to write mine up until after work Sunday. It's possible I'll be able to fit it in sometime Saturday maybe, but if the deadline could just be a few hours later, I could plan on submitting it after work on Sunday and that'd be very helpful.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:35 AM
For Vendetta

Given the nature of this Challenge and since it is straight Elimination, I will extend the deadline to 72 hours, instead of the usual 48.

Take your own time compiling the comprehensive answers, Finalists.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:58 PM

Thanks! That helps a ton!
Old 01-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
JAWS (2009)

Directed By: Joel Coen
Ethan Coen

Produced By: Steven Spielberg
J. J. Abrams

Music By: John Williams (Original)
Hans Zimmer (Revised)

Starring: Hugh Jackman as Martin Brody
Gary Oldman as Matt Hooper
Bill Pullman as Quint
Laura Dern as Ellen Brody
Malcolm McDowell as Mayor Larry Vaughn

Distributed By: Universal Pictures

Original Plot:

The peaceful town of Amity Island is disturbed by a killer Great White Shark who seems to eat anything and everything in it's way.

After an autopsy confirms a shark killed a young woman, the Town's police chief, Martin Brody, is determined to keep the people of his town safe and becomes paranoid, leading to public fear and apprehension.

Fearful that the town will lose money with the tourists terrified, the Mayor decides to try and keep it all quiet and discredits Brody and makes the person who did the autopsy lie.

A week later, a young boy is attacked and killed by the shark and his mother places a $3,000 bounty on the shark. This provokes many amateurs to try and catch the shark, and a professional, Quint, asks for a $10,000 reward.

Brody brings in marine Biologist Matt Hooper who proves that a large tiger shark that has been caught is not the culprit, and also discovers a dead victim under water.

After the shark kills again, the mayor hires Quint and he, Brody and Hooper go out to sea, hoping to kill the shark.

After several encounters, the shark eats Quint and sinks the ship, only to be blown up by Brody who shoots a pressurized tank in it's mouth. He and Hooper, who was under the water, then swim back to shore.

Alterations in Remake:

- The shark itself would be largely CGI, save for a few close shots in the finale.
- The bounty for the shark would be $13,000, with Quint asking for $20,000.
- A scene similar to the helicopter scene in Jaws 2 would happen towards the end. Another group of shark hunters, who antagonize Brody and Quint throughout are after it and chase it in a helicopter in a fast paced scene, firing into the water. The shark disappears. As the Helicopter is searching, they come across the Orca, and hover above it, shouting down at Quint. The shark jumps out of the water, grabbing the helicopter and pulling it down. One of the occupants climbs aboard the Orca.
-He and Quint have a brawl which results in him punching Quint, who falls down, only to have the shark emerge and drag him under.
-The man from the helicopter dies when he has a grenade, ready to throw at the shark, when the shark rams the boat, causing him to fall of backwards into the water, where the grenade explodes. This causes the boat to start sinking.
-In the scene where Brody's son almost dies, Ellen sees the shark and erratically runs and dives into the water to help. She succeeds in saving her son but is herself dragged away by the shark.
-The final scene would remain largely the same, however the tank would get into it's mouth because Hooper resurfaces and sees the shark attacking Brody. he throws his dive knife at it to attract it's attention, then taking his suit of and pushing it into the shark's mouth when it attacks him. He then swims back to Brody who shoots the shark.
-Whilst out at sea, Brody sees the severed left arm of Ellen, wearing her wedding ring.
-Certain bits of dialog would be updated for the time.
-The Orca would be a slightly more modern boat than the original
-There would be hints throughout the film that Brody is in fact bordering on insanity.
-The shark would be 29ft instead of 25ft.

Additional Information

-The film would be filmed on the island of Martha's Vineyard, as was the original.
-The levels of gore would be mostly the same.
-The score would be largely the same as the original, however certain pieces of incidental music would be different.
-A lot of the suspense of the original would be intact.

Marketing

-Posters reminiscent of the original.
-A website supposedly made by Quint about shark hunting.
-A viral video of a news report of a shark attack on Amity Island

As for convincing lovers of the original to come and watch it, it would be mainly down to the above and whether or not it convinced them.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 01-25-2009, 10:07 PM

It was a fairly slow night at work so I got a lot of this written up while I was there and then just put the finishing touches on when I got home.

I’ll start my entry by saying that I don’t agree with remakes in general. Once a film has been done, it should be left as is because that’s the director’s artistic vision and film is art. Remaking Night of the Living Dead is comparable to an artist repainting the Mona Lisa. No matter how good the remake is, it’s going to pale in comparison to the original. Modern day remakes show a complete lack of creativity and exemplify the studio’s pursuit of the almighty dollar over supporting the artistic vision of up and coming filmmakers that actually have original ideas. The only reason I can see for studio’s remaking classics is that they know it will sell. My general sentiment is that if a remake must be made, then they should be focusing on remaking films that can be improved upon, not the ones that are near perfection to begin with.

Okay, with my disclaimer out of the way, let’s get on with the show… I had my shortlist of three films, Rosemary’s Baby, Phantasm and Eaten Alive.

I scratched Rosemary’s Baby because I believe it falls in to the category of an already classic film that is near perfection and therefore I did not feel it could be improved upon.

Some of you are probably aware of my distaste for Phantasm and while I do feel it could have been a cooler film with better casting and gore FX, it is still considered by many to be a classic just as it is so I wouldn’t want to do wrong by it’s fans.

That leaves me with Tobe Hooper’s Eaten Alive as the film I’ve decided to remake due to the fact that there is plenty of room for improvement here, largely due to the low budget the original was filmed on and vast special FX improvements since it was filmed.