Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-10-2014, 05:35 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bloofer Lady View Post
I bet your aunt would be well pleased that her mix made a lasting impression on you at such a special time of year.

The oranges in the xmas stockings were said to represent the gold, formed in the shape of balls, that the original St. Nicholas donated to the poor. And candy canes symbolized the shepherds crook used by the bishops of the Catholic church.
That's interesting. I didn't know that. I took a peak at St Nicholas on Wikipedia. I see St Nicholas was one of the church elders at the First Council of Nicaea (which was the first christian 'world-wide' council ever). And then of course, I see he was said to hide coins in the shoes, and throw purses of coins into yards of people, in need.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Cranky

It wasn't a stoking stuffer, but every year my grandmother on my father's side would send my sister and I each a fruitcake. Now, everyone in the world hates fruitcake- but not me! My grandmother made amazing fruitcake! I used to beg my sister to let me have hers.

My grandfather on my mother's side would give us silver dollars. They were big back then!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 12-10-2014, 08:47 PM
ventricle

I love fruit cake too. Especially with lots of nuts and cherries.

Silver dollars were always cool to get as a kid. I kept a collection of silver dollars. And I'd fill up these regular-quarter booklets from the bank.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:47 AM

Oh gosh yes, I have always liked fruitcake, especially the ones with a marzipan icing. Each slice chock full of tender candied fruit bits, sometimes ginger, and nuts.

Last edited by The Bloofer Lady; 12-11-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:15 AM
Midnight toker

I'm sure if I listed half the stuff I used to get this thread would turn into a 'remember the 80s' thread (think madballs & m.u.s.c.l.e men) but along with that sort of thing, the stuff I remember most is little gadgets and tools. Funky little torches, mini screwdriver sets, anything to do with 'investigating' or exploring. I used to love anything like that.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:36 AM
fanged menace

I can remember getting magic tricks every year. I love fruit cake too, but just fruit, I'm allergic to nuts and stuff
Old 12-12-2014, 05:16 AM
Evil Dead

Wow, I have some remembering to do....

It seems like from the 70's/80's, I got a lot of really cool candy. I loved Willy Wonka's Oompas, which they have not sold in many years. I have noticed some stores have brought back some of the nostalgic candy but not all of them.

I think I also got stickers, Mattel cars, footies, money, crafty stuff....

I miss those Xmas days