Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-24-2004, 07:09 AM
Scares Little Kids

Send a message via AIM to brownzombie
Question Is Richard Matheson decent?

Is this author worth the read? I'm picking up more horror these days so I'd like to know.:)
Old 04-27-2004, 02:45 AM
Evil Dead

Matheson

Absolutely! Matheson is one of the "grandfathers" of the modern horror genre . . . .

You should definitely pick up I AM LEGEND, which is undoubtedly one of the best vampire tales of all time (and a *huge* influence on Romero's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD). Also, any of Matheson's short story collections are guaranteed good reads -- I have a signed copy of NIGHTMARE AT 20000 FEET (AND OTHER STORIES), and it's one of my most prized possessions.

Check 'im out. Would love to hear what you think, when you do! I don't think you'll be disappointed . . . .

James
http://members.tripod.com/~NEWMANATOR/index.html
Old 04-28-2004, 08:14 AM
Scares Little Kids

Send a message via AIM to brownzombie
Talking

I bought I Am Legend. It's great!!! the plot of the book was very ahead of its time, dealing with a possible scientific explanation for the existence of vampires. This would make for a great horror film, especially when Neville has the flashbacks of the horrible events leading to his isolation. I'm on the part where he's just found Ruth.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:32 PM
Hellraiser

It has been adapted twice to film. The first, and the best so far, is "Last Man On Earth" with Vincent Price. Not taken strictly "by the book" but close. It's a great movie. The second is "Omega Man" with Charlton Heston. This one is loosely based on the book. A new adaptation is supposedly in the screenwriting stage. Hopefully they will stick with the excellant storyline found in "I Am Legend".
Old 02-16-2005, 01:50 PM
Scares Little Kids

Found! An old topic which deals with one of my favourite writers ;). dmihatmttl spoke well... Matheson is not only decent, he is a Genius, he is "one of the grandfathers of the modern horror genre", one of those rare writers who feel equally confident writing novels and short stories :D.

Just to add something... Roger Corman's "House of Usher" is obviously inspired to the famous short story by Poe, but the screenplay is Matheson's.
"Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" is the same short story which insipired an episode (whose screenplay was also written by Matheson) of "The Twilight Zone", both Tv series and movie (1983).
Richard Matheson signed also the screenplay of Spielberg's "Duel", inspiered once again to a story of his own.
And we are still forgetting about "The Shrinking Man". It is a great novel written by Matheson in 1956 which became the screeplay (signed by Matheson himself) of the famous Jack Arnold's "The Incredible Shrinking Man", one year later.
All these novels and short stories definitely worth reading.

Happy to see brownzombie have discovered that masteripiece of vampire literature which is "I am a legend". Hope that during these months u have also read some of Matheson's short stories ;).

P.S. "... a signed copy of NIGHTMARE AT 20000 FEET (AND OTHER STORIES)"... Yummmm... great :D!!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Evil Dead

Read "Hell House" one of the best ghost stories ever written. Matheson adapted his novel for the film version "The Legend Of Hell House" back in the 70's.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Backyard Waterfall

Richard Matheson is not decent. The last time I saw him, he distracted me by saying, "What's that behind you," and when I turned to look, he hit me over the head, took my wallet, and ran away.

I'm certain you agree that this is not "decent" behavior of any sort.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:05 PM
www.CalabreseRock.com

Send a message via AIM to VampRocker
Quote:
Originally posted by filmmaker2
Richard Matheson is not decent. The last time I saw him, he distracted me by saying, "What's that behind you," and when I turned to look, he hit me over the head, took my wallet, and ran away.

I'm certain you agree that this is not "decent" behavior of any sort.
What a jerk. Heheh.

But yeah, Matheson rocks. "I Am Legend" and "Hell House" are nothing short of incredible.
www.CalabreseRock.com
www.CalabreseRock.com
Old 06-27-2005, 02:05 PM
Undead

Send a message via AIM to blackknight Send a message via Yahoo to blackknight
A Stir Of Echoes or The Shinking Man are a couple of fairly good novels. Maybe Someone is Bleeding or Fury on Sunday if you want to try something a little less known.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:39 AM
whatever gets you through

BUT.... Hunted Past Reason - which was fairly recent - sucked ass. Utterly devoid of Matheson's usual innovative plot twists. Just dreadful - avoid it at all cost and pick up one of his earlier good works.

ZERO