Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies

Old 08-30-2010, 09:31 PM
For Vendetta

Banned - The Most Controversial Films

Someone was in here not too long ago asking for info about films which had been banned in several countries for one reason or another.

Here is a compilation of the more popular yet controversial films of our times -

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...l?action=Popup

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...l?action=Popup

Each film is marked with the countries where they were banned.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Misanthrope

I've always dug how Kubrick "banned" A Clockwork Orange himself after the moral majority shitstorm it's inital screenings caused.

It was such a mission to see that flick for awhile. Had to track down a NTSC tape to watch it for the first time. DVDs have made things a lot more easy when it comes to banned/"video nasties".

Quite weird what films countries ban at one point or another.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:44 AM
For Vendetta

I think Cannibal Holocaust might be the most banned movie ever, in terms of number of countries.

I might be wrong though...
Old 08-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
I've always found the banning of films to be very infuriating. The warnings of the age certificate and such are there for a reason. Unless the film has done something illegal then there's no reason to ban them. They're an art form (unless made by Uwe Boll).

The Ferrets like it...
Old 08-31-2010, 10:03 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

It was so strange when Life of Brian and Meaning of LIfe were banned here when they came out. I think Terry Jones' Personal Services was very briefly banneKen Russell's WHORE too.

Last edited by Ferox13; 08-31-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:01 PM
A little glass vial?

Send a message via MSN to nightmare_of _death Send a message via Yahoo to nightmare_of _death Send a message via Skype™ to nightmare_of _death
good lists I've seen quite a few of the ones listed, but not all, but banning this is also pointless 'cause people are still going to find ways to get a hold of the material, and if its banned people might be even more wanting to get a hold of the material.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:41 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
I think Cannibal Holocaust might be the most banned movie ever, in terms of number of countries.

I might be wrong though...
I think you're probably dead on. Cannibal Holocaust and Salo would be tied for first I think.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:42 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare_of _death View Post
good lists I've seen quite a few of the ones listed, but not all, but banning this is also pointless 'cause people are still going to find ways to get a hold of the material, and if its banned people might be even more wanting to get a hold of the material.
Before people could download movies it did make things fairly difficult. But you're right these days it's pretty pointless.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Cranky

Thanks for the articles

It was an interesting group.

A Clockwork Orange has always will be close to the top of my alltime favs along with M and Chinatown. The combination of the visuals, the language and the music creeped a lot of people when it first came out.

I have seen The Devils the way Ken Russell meant it to be seen. The movie can still make people uncomfortable, but it is a classic to be sure.

The list shows how religion and politics have always tried to censor art for its own benefit. Thanks for the listing.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Misanthrope

A Clockwork Orange is amazing on the big screen. I saw it at a festival awhile back ...definitely the way to see it.

I still haven't seen The Devils something I need to rectify.

Yeh any art that rocks the boat and questions religion/politics tends to get messed with. Not so much these days as people are more into protecting their freedom of speech. Seems to be only the nasty flicks that get banned in the current climate.

The censors are getting more heavy handed over here lately... they banned Castle Freak recently :rolleyes: