Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Scares Little Kids

Pandorum

wasnt too bad,i just wish they were more clear on the complications of the plot. it seemed like a "i am legend" meets "aliens"
ben foster did well in this....great ending.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:48 AM
Murders and Executions

Send a message via AIM to MyraHindley
So when the very first trailers for this came out, I was intrigued. It seemed to be very horror based. Somewhere between Alien and Event Horizon perhaps. But as the opening night neared, the trailers seemed to show it as a much more generic action space thriller with a cliche and tired femme fatale figure. What is this movie trying to be?
Old 11-10-2009, 05:22 AM
Don't close your eyes

Does anyone know when or if this will still be coming to theaters in Australia? Like so many movies, the posters go up, we see a preview and then months later the posters get taken down with no sign of the movie.....
Old 11-10-2009, 03:41 PM
quiet place

my friends told me that the movie is shit :mad:
Old 11-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Minister of the Sinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by episode 666 View Post
my friends told me that the movie is shit :mad:
It wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen... It was actually fairly entertaining.

The atmosphere is great, but I loved Event Horizon, so I guess I have a mild bias toward the "creepy ship" setting. The action sequences were a bit distracting and could have done with less wire-fighting/acrobatic BS, but the acting made up for it a bit. The plot is pretty predictable, but sometimes it's nice to take a break from the "M.Night Shyamalan" plot twist heavy films and just enjoy a simple story with monsters and spaceships...

6.5/10...

--The Piz is watching you--
Old 11-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoulie Newmar View Post
wasnt too bad,i just wish they were more clear on the complications of the plot. it seemed like a "i am legend" meets "aliens"
ben foster did well in this....great ending.
MAybe I missed somthing but it all seemed fairly explained.

I hadn't a clue what it as about before watching it and I really enjoyed it - the bit with him crawling thru the clasutophobic ducts at the start freaked me out...

Even the 'twist' wasn't too silly.

Solid entertainment.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:09 AM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
Does anyone know when or if this will still be coming to theaters in Australia?
Yeah, greater union is supposedly getting it - if their word is anything to go on.
But then, they missed 9 too...
Old 02-14-2010, 06:04 PM
HDC Idol

So I finally watched this film so I figured that I'd resurrect this thread so that we could discuss.

Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised. Considering that it flew under the radar as a whole and was practically ignored here on HDC, I thought that it was going to be a dog... But I thought it was great.

[POSSIBLE SPOILERS]
I'd say if I was going to compare it to anything, though, I would have to say that it's a bit like The Descent IN SPACE. Everything from the claustrophobic part to the monsters themselves (even to the "explanation" of the monsters being mutated members of the crew).

What bothered me the most was the fighting scenes between the humans - Where the HELL did they get those weapons? I can't imagine that they were taken on the ship (then again, they HAVE been awake technically for like 900 years so I suppose someone could have fashioned them between then)... But anyway. I just found it odd, the Agrarian guy fighting the Biology chick. Didn't really see the point, but that's OK. Their roles just seemed silly and over-the top. The end with Randy Quaid was a little predictable, but still satisfying.

[/SPOILERS]

Regardless, I thought that it was fantastic scifi horror and definitely felt a lot more like classic scifi than what I've seen in recent years. I think it's up there for me along with Alien and Event Horizon. And to think it was District 9 that got all the scifi buzz this year. Ick. I'd recommend Pandorum for horror loves, especially of the scifi variety.

4/5.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 02-15-2010, 03:37 AM
Bad Natured

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
So I finally watched this film so I figured that I'd resurrect this thread so that we could discuss.

Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised. Considering that it flew under the radar as a whole and was practically ignored here on HDC, I thought that it was going to be a dog... But I thought it was great.

[POSSIBLE SPOILERS]
I'd say if I was going to compare it to anything, though, I would have to say that it's a bit like The Descent IN SPACE. Everything from the claustrophobic part to the monsters themselves (even to the "explanation" of the monsters being mutated members of the crew).

What bothered me the most was the fighting scenes between the humans - Where the HELL did they get those weapons? I can't imagine that they were taken on the ship (then again, they HAVE been awake technically for like 900 years so I suppose someone could have fashioned them between then)... But anyway. I just found it odd, the Agrarian guy fighting the Biology chick. Didn't really see the point, but that's OK. Their roles just seemed silly and over-the top. The end with Randy Quaid was a little predictable, but still satisfying.

[/SPOILERS]

Regardless, I thought that it was fantastic scifi horror and definitely felt a lot more like classic scifi than what I've seen in recent years. I think it's up there for me along with Alien and Event Horizon. And to think it was District 9 that got all the scifi buzz this year. Ick. I'd recommend Pandorum for horror loves, especially of the scifi variety.

4/5.
Yep, a solid entry. Late.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Evil Dead

Did not like the movie at all.

I possibly had too high of expectations because I thought the trailer looked great....especially the teasers that just showed the guy "peeling his skin off in pain". Or at least, that's what I thought was happening in the theater when I saw the trailer. They really made it out to be like it was some kind of skin disease or corruption of his body by an alien parasite or something sinister like that. Then when you watch the movie it's just some byproduct of being in the cryo-freeze or some nonsense like that. Totally underplayed and a wasted buildup.

On top of that, I thought the story was really thin. The part where Dennis Quaid's character says something like "Oh...why did you have to bring up one of the most terrible things in history" as an excuse to explain Pandorum just felt really forced. And speaking of Quaid....he's really phoning in his performances these days. His role for the first half of the movie pretty much consisted of "Bower? Bower? Private Bower are you there? Can ya read me Bower? HELLO? BOWER??????...........................*sigh*.....b ower?"

Just sad.
And the revelation at the end didn't surprised me in the least. I did, however, like the general production design and the claustrophobic vents and ducts. If there was more of that and less "ZOMG ALIENS OUT TO GET US!" I probably would have dug it more. This is a movie that would have worked better with a lot more subtlety.