Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-21-2009, 07:51 AM
For Vendetta

Eden Lake

I noticed that there is no separate thread for this flick, and after recently watching it and being suitably impressed, I would like to hear from all those who have seen it already, and from those who plan to.

Like I said in the Last Seen Movie thread, "brutal, hard-hitting, and unflinching". After a long time (read as, after Wolf Creek), I was so much impressed by an independent movie. Empathic and sympathetic characters, horrific and revolting atmosphere which made for some rivetting viewing, and a premise dipped in grounded reality. It not only leaves many questions unanswered when the end credits roll, but provides a glaring picture of societal degradation as we see it today.

But not spoiling it for those who havent seen it...to those who already have, what are your thoughts? Especially about the ending?

I ask that because I have read two distinct lines of thinking about the climax. One side say it was disappointing, given the buildup of the entire flick. The others say it was perfect, and provided to be the most ample and suitable ending, given the premise and the atmosphere. I am of the latter, and I think the ending fitted the atmosphere of the flick quite perfectly. If it was done in any way otherwise, the flick would have been reduced to yet another run-of-the-mill come-and-go flicks of years gone by. And, lets face it, this ending made it all the more human, and chillingly so.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Evil Dead

I could think of no better way to end this flick. I really enjoyed this one.

Left me without that usual "why the hell did that happen?" feeling at the ending.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
But not spoiling it for those who havent seen it...to those who already have, what are your thoughts? Especially about the ending?

I ask that because I have read two distinct lines of thinking about the climax. One side say it was disappointing, given the buildup of the entire flick. The others say it was perfect, and provided to be the most ample and suitable ending, given the premise and the atmosphere. I am of the latter, and I think the ending fitted the atmosphere of the flick quite perfectly. If it was done in any way otherwise, the flick would have been reduced to yet another run-of-the-mill come-and-go flicks of years gone by. And, lets face it, this ending made it all the more human, and chillingly so.
Like I said before (it's the 3rd or 4th time:D ) it was far better than other recent survival horror flicks like Wolf Creek, Funny Games or The Strangers with a more harsh & shocking ending which might successfully manage to make some viewers upset in a more disturbing way. The young actor who played the ring leader of the repulsive group of loathsome kids was quite stand out with the role. Though Jenny..the female lead character also delivered a nice performance but somewhat annoyed me sometimes as her reactions or responses to the certain situations were bit questionable to me.
Overall the tension, the gore and the upsetting finale made it quite distinctive in its particular sub-genre of horror. And I'm fully agree with you regarding the climax as the motion of the story and situations were quite supportive for that actually. Though some viewers liked to be expect something positive but sometimes or very often reality tastes bitter than the fictions and people like to 'solve or confront' many situations & problems in their own way to "save" their love ones.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:40 PM
mostly ghostly?

Well, my friend. I must admit this is one I probably would have passed on were it not for your rec.

I'll get back to you when I see it! Can't wait.
And thanks for the rec. :)
Old 02-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Banned

I too will be renting this one soon. I'll give feedback later.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:08 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

I really liked it despite some of the stupid actions of the victims.

Chavploitation is the new Hillbilly Horror.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:15 AM
Scares Little Kids

I really liked it. This movie stays with you and it has something to say. Is the ending that forces you to think about the film, a true horror film.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Evil Dead

Suggestions- Eden Lake

I'm visiting a friend out of state who isn't into older movies. Were looking for a newer release along the guidelines of Eden Lake. A more realistic type movie if you will. It doesn't have to be a similiar plot to Eden Lake, just something with a realistic vibe. We just finished watching Eden Lake and can't seem to find anything else that looks good.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Misanthrope

Check out the Belguim film The Ordeal and don't believe anyone when they tell you Wolf Creek is good.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:31 PM
HDC Idol

Ils... I preferred it over Eden Lake. One of my favorite films of last year. And if you're looking for a really fucked-up intense slasher movie, I highly recommend Inside.

There's also Timber Falls. I wasn't a huge fan, but it's similar to Eden Lake, which I wasn't much a fan of either... So if you like one, you might like the other...

Same goes for Frontière(s).

Actually, come to think of it, the plot does get a little ridiculous with the last two, but people seem to really like Frontière(s) around here.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 02-26-2009 at 06:34 PM.