Old 10-20-2008, 07:29 AM
Banned

Wild in the Streets

Wild in the Streets (1968)

Drug-crazed hippies, death camps for the elderly, LSD in the drinking water, a 25 year old rock star president and one of Richard Pryor’s earliest roles- what’s not to love about this movie! A cautionary tale with the tagline “If you’re 30, you’re through!”, AIPs response to Altamont is one of the great forgotten funrides from it’s golden era.

The plot revolves around the aforementioned rock star’s rise to power as president of the US, and his plans to do away with anyone over 30(sound familiar, Logan’s Run fans). Starring Christopher Jones(a great whatever happened to…? question) and an all-star back up cast including Pryor(Black power advocate Stanley “X”), Shelley Winters(great hilarious shrew performance), Ed Begley, Diane Varsi(steals scenes as a super hippie mama) and the ever venomous Hal Holbrook. Look for bits by Peter Tork, Bobby Sherman, Gary Busey, Bill Mumy, Walter Winchell, Dick Clark, Army Archerd and even prosecuter Melvin Belli.

There is almost a pseudo-documentary style to this film, and actually alarmed viewers into thinking that a plan to spike our country’s drinking water with acid could be possible. The last scene provides an eerie warning to the hero, and is one of the better trick endings I’ve seen. All in all, a “Groovy” watch and pair it with Blue Sunshine for a “Love Generation gone wrong” double-bill.

Something to watch on election night, perhaps.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Cranky

You didn't even mention that music!

And Shelly Winters is just hilarious.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 10-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Banned

It's been so long since I've seen it that I forgot what a catchy soundtrack it had. One of the songs even hit the charts.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
You didn't even mention that music!
While at work today, one of the songs hit my memory bank. I think it was called "14 or fight" a protest song urging the right to vote for 14 year olds. Pretty funny shit.