Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Evil Dead

Since this is clearly a dead-end thread, let's see if it can be salvaged, albeit in a completely unrelated direction.

The movie Antichrist... Wow, and yikes.

Besides the crazy, demented anti-sexy parts that I assume have already been talked about, I found it interesting that in the first chapter of the movie, the real "horror" was actually extreme, utter sadness. The way the child falling from the window was artistically displayed, its juxtaposition against He and She having sex, and the ensuing relationship between them afterwards... To me, a real sense of doom and horror was delivered, and the primary tool used was an extreme sense of despair. Maybe it hit me hard because I'm a new father, but wow. I was affected. I liked it.

I know that director Lars von Trier generates a real mixed set of reactions. Some people seem to refer to him in an almost laughing-stock manner. I've never seen any of his other movies. What does anyone else think?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:18 PM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giganticface View Post
Since this is clearly a dead-end thread, let's see if it can be salvaged, albeit in a completely unrelated direction.

The movie Antichrist... Wow, and yikes.

Besides the crazy, demented anti-sexy parts that I assume have already been talked about, I found it interesting that in the first chapter of the movie, the real "horror" was actually extreme, utter sadness. The way the child falling from the window was artistically displayed, its juxtaposition against He and She having sex, and the ensuing relationship between them afterwards... To me, a real sense of doom and horror was delivered, and the primary tool used was an extreme sense of despair. Maybe it hit me hard because I'm a new father, but wow. I was affected. I liked it.

I know that director Lars von Trier generates a real mixed set of reactions. Some people seem to refer to him in an almost laughing-stock manner. I've never seen any of his other movies. What does anyone else think?
I think it is his weakest film. It's far too cerebral even for him. I strongly recommend you check out his other films-Especially Breaking The Waves, Dogville and if you don't mind Bjork singing musical numbers-Dancer In The Dark. They completely supercede Antichrist in heading towards oblivion though they lack Antichrist's gore they make up for it with some truly innovatively disturbing scenes. Lars Von Trier is a wind-up merchant and he wanted to upset the audience as much as possible with his earlier films and to me he succeeded.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearonsarms View Post
I think it is his weakest film. It's far too cerebral even for him. I strongly recommend you check out his other films-Especially Breaking The Waves, Dogville and if you don't mind Bjork singing musical numbers-Dancer In The Dark. They completely supercede Antichrist in heading towards oblivion though they lack Antichrist's gore they make up for it with some truly innovatively disturbing scenes. Lars Von Trier is a wind-up merchant and he wanted to upset the audience as much as possible with his earlier films and to me he succeeded.
Do youn consider being too cerebral to be a negative quality? (Just a note, I have never actually seen this movie)
Old 02-01-2013, 03:57 PM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
Do youn consider being too cerebral to be a negative quality? (Just a note, I have never actually seen this movie)
No not in general. Most of Lars Von Trier's movies are quite cerebral and normally in them he handles it in a way to enhance the way his characters think and act-Breaking The Waves is an excellent example of this. The problem is specifically with Antichrist in that most of the movie is pure psychological analysis of the two lead characters without the context of a plot developing to change how they behave. It's too abstract though in terms of gore-there is a huge pay-off to persevering with it. But the bottom line is I found his previous films to be more engaging as a viewer and therefore more enjoyable.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:36 AM
Evil Dead

I saw this in my 31 Day of Horror movies for Halloween

it's a really surreal movie, it the start of movie was really well shot, with the slow motions and music makes that scene even more affecting.

The whole movie was really well made. This movie wasn't really horror movie but more of drama, with some really good chilling scenes in the some parts.

The acting was really good and the whole movie was great watch! .

Last edited by The Horror fan; 02-02-2013 at 12:38 AM.