Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-30-2019, 10:59 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Venom.

Well...I figured I owed it to the character to see this, after all I've read since borrowing issue #3 of "Lethal Protector" from a kid in my home-room in the 90's, then diving both backwards and forwards into the character, following the journey both host/s and symbiote have taken over the years.

I, surprisingly did not hate it.

Ok so the origin is pissed into the wind to give this some independence. Kind of grating just a little bit because SO much of the character was built on the anger at Parker/rejection from Spider-Man...ah well.
So he'll never be outright murderously creepy and sinister. Ok.

They made the Venom incarnation look right...and truth be told the big white spider emblem would have looked stupid.
He was the RIGHT SIZE, they went sparingly on the tongue.

The "conversations" between the creature and the host were great too, not entirely a copy of how it went in the comic, but well done nonetheless.

How the symbiote fought, I liked a lot. The chase scene. The apartment scene. Great. It moved like Venom should.

The only real issue I had was that I thought the villain was pretty bland, and while I know we've had endless carbon copies of Venom throughout the years...I found "just another Venom" to be a bit boring.
For this reason, while he was hinted at I kind of hope they don't do Carnage as the very next thing in line.

Yeah though, I mean...it was watchable. I liked it.
I'm not anxious to see Venom, though I surely would if it hits netflix. I didn't read his comic entry, just saw Venom in a Spiderman cartoon ep and Spiderman 3. Venom was introduced 1984 and Carnage 1992. Those two are basically the only 2 Spiderman comicbook characters to become famous after the 1960s, correct me if I'm wrong.

It's too bad Rami didn't leave Sandman out of Spiderman 3 and instead devote it to the Venom story, would have been right up his alley considering his brilliant rending of the Spiderman 2 story.

I wish Rami would have changed gears and did Mysterio. He was always my favorite villain. He's a fascinating character with cool powers. Maryjane was in theatre, so that would have been a natural entry point, maybe a love triangle. The Mysterio head is pretty wacky for live action, but maybe making it a little smaller would work.

What a coincidence, I was just taking a peek at Mysterio, to see if he was original to the 1960s TV series, made it to the comics, or vise versa (in the comic 1964, TV series 67)... And I see Mysterio is going to be in the new 2019 Spider-Man: Far from Home. Gyllenhaal will play Mysterio. How about that? I didn't figure this new Tom Holland series would do Mysterio because he's an older man that Parker wouldn't run into, whereas McGuire and MJ were old enough to be involved with him.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:51 PM
病気の

In Memory Of, 2018. 7,5/10

Director: Eric Stanze

Thumb resize.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:23 PM
No, fuck YOU

Escape Room (2019) 7/10

Entertaining and very fast paced, but ruined by the ending. Is a sequel in the makings or was this a pilot to a series? (Not a bad concept for a series).

I think I preferred the Skeet Ulrich “Escape Room” from 2017 slightly better due to a better ending.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:03 AM
病気の

Braid, 2018. 7/10

Director: Mitzi Peirone

Thumb resize.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:15 PM
病気の

Velvet Buzzsaw, 2019. 6/10

Director: Dan Gilroy

Thumb resize.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:45 AM
This is a test

WITHER 2012

A swedish take on the "Evil Dead". Certain things didnt add up. Maybe lost in translation. Wasnt horrible.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:59 AM
No, fuck YOU

Polar (2019) 7/10

Like two very different movies smashed together. And the outcome? Well, quite ridiculous but pretty badass. Maybe a little too wannabe badass. But it was certainly entertaining.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:28 AM
ventricle

Big Man Japan (2007)
7/10

A documentary group follows Daisato, a man who is following in his family's tradition of protecting Tokyo from wacky giant monsters via being jolted with electricity and becoming a giant man with a beating stick. As times of have changed, he's not at all as appreciated as his forebears, and is estranged from family and his agent.

Written, directed and starring Japanese comedian Hitoshi Matsumoto, the film is sometimes incomprehensible, often quirky, sometimes funny, winking at Japanese sci-fi and kaiju TV shows, and splitting between lighthearted and languish.

The Signal (2014)
6/10

Three MIT college students road trip through the Southwest. Nic, and his buddy, Jonah, are moving his girlfriend Hailey (Olivia Cooke) to California. The trio detour to confront an ominous hacker.

The film is in the dark heady emotional sci-fi horror vein of Soderbergh's Solaris and Duncan Jones' Moon, just not nearly as successful. I didn't so much mind the lack of narrative information, in the space between when our heroes go underground and the ending reveal, rather that span's discomfort and disorientation didn't seem to aid or setup a comprehensible catharsis. Still, the film direction is effectively stylish, accompanied by an evocative soundtrack.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:49 PM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
The Signal (2014)
6/10

Three MIT college students road trip through the Southwest. Nic, and his buddy, Jonah, are moving his girlfriend Hailey (Olivia Cooke) to California. The trio detour to confront an ominous hacker.

The film is in the dark heady emotional sci-fi horror vein of Soderbergh's Solaris and Duncan Jones' Moon, just not nearly as successful. I didn't so much mind the lack of narrative information, in the space between when our heroes go underground and the ending reveal, rather that span's discomfort and disorientation didn't seem to aid or setup a comprehensible catharsis. Still, the film direction is effectively stylish, accompanied by an evocative soundtrack.
This I haven't seen.

Have you seen the Signal (2007)?
Completely different movie, just the same name. Worth it.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:39 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
This I haven't seen.

Have you seen the Signal (2007)?
Completely different movie, just the same name. Worth it.
Looking at the trailer, looks pretty intense.

Did you ever see the Solaris movie with George Clooney? What'd ya think? If you're into sci-fi, good flick to watch with the wife.

Tags
movie