Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
The ABCs of Death (2012)

Man. I had been looking forward to this for quite some time, but I have to say, I was ridiculously disappointed. I actually liked the concept - Pulling some pretty great and well-known horror directors together to do a series of short films... But ultimately most of the films were disappointing or just plain lazy. I'll pull out some highlights (and low points):

High Points
I is for Ingrown by Jorge Michel Grau (We are What We Are)
Really intense, dark, and well-acted.

L is for Libido by Timo Tjahjanto (V/H/S)
Very disturbing, in a Visitor Q sort of way...

P is for Pressure by Simon Rumley (Red, White & Blue)
The only movie that gave you a true dark character study

V is for Vagitus by Kaare Andrews
Good scif- short

X is for XXL by Xavier Gens (Frontiers)
Absolutely brutal

Y is for Youngbuck by Jason Eisener (Hobo with a Shotgun)
Disturbing and well-done

Low Points

Self-Indulgent, self-referential crap:
  • Q is for Quack by Adam Wingard, Simon Barrett <-- Reminded me of everything I hated about Rubber
  • W is for WTF by Jon Schnepp (Metalocalypse)
  • R is for Removed by Srdjan Spasojevic (A Serbian Film)

Odd-random-"disturbing"-crap (I'm soooo over weird Asian movies)
  • F is for Fart by Noboru Iguchi (Machine Girl, Mutant Girl Squad) <-- I thought Iguchi was overrated with the aforementioned films and now I'm just done. This film was just garbage.
  • Z is for Zetsumetsu by Yoshihiro Nishimura (Tokyo Gore Police) - Siiiiiiiigh. Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein girl was enough of a turn-off - This short was just offensive, but not in a clever or amusing sort of way. Gag.
  • H is for Hydro-Electric Diffusion by Thomas Malling - This short should have been better than it was.

And pretty much all of the other pieces that I haven't mentioned were relatively forgettable. WOW what a waste of talent.

HUGE disappointment.

I think I liked this one better than CG (especially Q for some reason). There were some good shorts, some crap ones, and a lot that floated around the middle and flirted with one side of the the other but didn't quite make it. I think the biggest issue with this anthology was the amount of directors involved, the shorts just didn't have enough time to tell a good story in most cases. Other than the shorts she mentioned I have to say that I enjoyed Cycle and while I didn't care for Apocalypse when I saw it I look back on it fondly. I also dug the fact that Angela Bettis directed a short... just because.

I wasn't disappointed because I expected a horrible mish mash of low budget film student shorts (I didn't know much about this one going in) but I didn't love it by any means.

On a side note, I like Ti West's stuff but he needs to stay away from anthologies, his segments don't seem to turn out very well. I like his films but so far, not in love with the shorts...
Old 10-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Spookshow

Watching The Nightmare Before Christmas and I'm not ashamed to say that I'm singing all of the songs lol.

"Enjoy that dead girl's body."
Old 10-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher6245 View Post
Did you check it out? I just realized I wasn't very clear in my original post that this movie falls into the so bad it's good category. Anyway let me know what you thought if you did watch it.
Nope, I haven't watched it yet. I did a quick skim through a couple parts a while back just to see what to expect, and it looked ultra low budget. My watchlist is so long, it's hard to make the cut! I'm still intrigued though.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:06 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Mr Freedom (1969)
Odd political satire that could only be a product of the 60's. Surprisingly mean spirited and bleak. Strangely the message is still applicable today.

The Conjuring (2013)
Solid haunted host horror - plenty of jump scares take a little away and the actual entity wasn't that frightening. On the plus side, the acting was great and the characters were people you could care about. Reminded me a lot of the original Amityville Horror in places.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:51 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrankensteinsGirl View Post
Watching The Nightmare Before Christmas and I'm not ashamed to say that I'm singing all of the songs lol.
Absolutely briiliant film, I never tire of watching it. You might then, also like Corpse Bride which followed Nightmare, and even James and the Giant Peach which was Tim Burton's first animated film.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:44 AM
For Vendetta

Despite having genre heavies like Fishburne & Paxton, the film disappoints. The storyline is riddled with plotholes, some so big they make your eye roll. The lead actor disappoints with his absolutely expressionless face (at times I thought he might have been Christian Slater's long-lost brother or something), and there's a lot of slow buildup to things which required faster pace. Paxton looks tired and washed out, and Fishburne is simply there to pick up his cheque I bet, while not filling the screen with his Morpheus-imitation.

The plot can be summed up in one line - colonists in a post-apocalyptic future fight off a bunch of feral men (or mutants). That's it. No explanations are given, so forget all your "how"s, "why"s, "where"s, etc.

Not recommended. Go watch Ghosts of Mars and The Day After Tomorrow, and you will know most of this movie's mess when you mix the "possessed" cannibals of the former with the setting of the latter.

* ½
Old 10-10-2013, 02:45 PM
The Boogeyman

Fright Night - 5/10 good kids horror film beside the nudity

Children of the Corn (2009 syfy remake) - 3/10 kinda boring and really lacking.

cirque du vampire's assistant - 7/10 Fun kid's movie that you can watch with the little ones.

Silent Hill - 8/10 I love this movie, I love the twisted theme and "monsters." It really has an dark and eerie theme to it.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:38 AM

Filth (2013)

This film certainly captures the feeling of Irvine novel even if it does deviant a bit. I didn't think James McAvoy was good casting either but really does pull it off.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:37 AM
Evil Dead

^ I'm in two minds about watching that ... Filth is one of my favourite Welsh novels but it has a dark and depressing overall feel that I just can't imagine coming across in a film such as this one.

Especially after seeing the picture on that poster, and reading the tributes ... "hilarious" and "riotous" are not words I'd have chosen to describe the book, it sounds more like Tom Sharpe than Irvine Welsh.

I imagine it would deviate quite a bit as well, there are parts of the story that just wouldn't be acceptable in mainstream cinema.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:55 AM

^The humor is very dark.

It's been a while since I read the book but there were changes - there was no tapeworm and they also reduced the effect of the 'twist' at the end.

Tags
movie