Old 04-22-2012, 04:25 AM
That fucking Guy...

Jay & Silent Bob Get Old

We're heading out to see this tomorrow night in Sydney.
I'm not sure if they'll be signing anything but we'll be taking along our
"Bitten" and "Dogma" dvds in the event that they do...I might even hit up a comic store in the city to see if I can grab any of Smiths run on Daredevil.
...Not sure what to expect but looking forward to taking in the show all the same.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:24 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

I listened to it at the start but it got old quickly - Hollywood babble-on is much better imo..
Old 04-22-2012, 10:19 PM
That fucking Guy...

Yknow, I bought these tickets the moment I could.

Perhaps I should have researched it a little better, true...when I initially saw the name "Jay and Silent Bob get old" I had assumed they'd be in character for at least part of the show, going to see something written by Kevin Smith, but live, well yeah that would've been pretty cool.
Disappointing that it wasn't, but I accept that.
A bit of an annoying misrepresentation if you ask me, but hey, it is what it is.

As I mentioned above, I had planned on taking in a couple of dvds to get signed.
So, I called the theatre they're on at...left a message, no reply.
Called back, talked to a guy that "didn't know".
The wife went on facebook and asked one of the theatre reps if they'd be doing any brief signings or anything like that.
The answer she received was
"The guys won't be signing anything, but there's plenty of good merch".

I feel slapped.
I have been a fan of Smiths since I was 14 and I first hired out Clerks, not knowing who the fuck he was.
Now I'm not some crazy fanboy or anything, I hated Chasing Amy and never even bothered with Jersey Girl. But I have seen *most* of Kevin Smiths stuff, I'm following comic book men, and I'm looking forward to checking out Red State as soon as I'm able to buy it...
Not to mention I've bought and read a lot of the comics he's written, including his entire run on daredevil.

Now, it's not like it is for you guys in the states here in Australia.
Those film/horror/comic conventions you guys get just...aren't done here...I'm not saying things like that never have been at all, just that they are VERY few and VERY far between and usually only on in like...one city in the whole country, if that.

So obviously, they next to never get out here.
Considering this - Is a brief signing really THAT much to ask for?
I mean I'd just paid $90 each for two SHITTY tickets (more a theatre issue) to a show that was...well, not what I would ideally like it to be (a me issue, sure), and there's nothing, no chance of even getting something signed?
No alternative dates that there would be.
Just no.
...and not even the (likely overpriced) merchandise they'll be profiting even further off pushing? That can't even get signed?

So, I've never done this before...I've never been annoyed like this by something along these lines.
I know I shouldn't let it get to me but frankly as one of his Australian fans, I feel disrespected and have started to look at Smith (and to a lesser extent the most-likely-still-drug-fucked Mewes) in a different light.
I mean he's had his heyday...his new show/podcast is pretty much being panned as shit anyways...he's essentially rocking a Tarantino level of "has been" without ever quite having hit the same heights, occasionally drumming out yet another film that will never live up to his former works...and he's resorting to "going on tour" to "talk about life and shit", just totally cashing in.
I could have accepted this as a fan, but not a pissed off one.

I mean what, really? He/they didn't THINK it was something that would be cool of them to do? Give fans that NEVER have the chance to even see them the opportunity to even *PAY* them to sign some shit, and say hey?
They don't need to, so they won't.

So, long story short - we're not going.
Sold the tickets for $20 more than we got them for.
...and tonight, I will be downloading Red State...

Disappointed, but I won't support this bullshit.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:45 PM
No charge for awesomeness

Dude... Just because it's not a signing event or meet&greet sort of thing does not necessarily mean there's no chance to get an autograph or meet them. The number of times I've met bands and/or celebrities by hanging out in strategic locations before or after a show is too numerous to count on 2 hands. You probably won't even need to go to that overpriced chat to meet them and your experience could end up being a lot more memorable than if you had just been an audience member at the stupid talk. Here's what you do...

Look at their tour schedule. Odds are they'll be in a nearby upscale hotel the evening before and the evening of their show (Unless they have another tour stop the day before.) That's 1 chance to meet them. Depending on the location of the event and whether or not there is underground parking where they can drive right into the venue without exiting their vehicle, they may need to enter and exit the building on foot. That's a 2nd and 3rd chance. If you know they like to party, then they will probably be going out to the trendiest/coolest bar in the vicinity after the show too. That's 4 potential chances to meet them without ever buying anything. P.S. Just because they arrive at the venue on tour bus does not mean they aren't staying at a hotel.

Also I thought Red State was pretty bad ass. I also liked Chasing Amy (compared to other chick flicks.)

And one last thing... Tarantino's a has-been? I can only assume this means you didn't like Inglourious Basterds or Kill Bill and to that I say... What are you smoking and why aren't you sharing? True, most people prefer Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs, but those are still both kickass movies. It's like saying Francis Ford Coppola was washed up after he made The Godfather and Scoresese has been a has been since the Taxi Driver/Raging Bull days simply because they were never able to top them. I don't agree with that logic...
Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 PM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
Just because it's not a signing event or meet&greet sort of thing does not necessarily mean there's no chance to get an autograph or meet them
Yeah I checked in with the theatre, the answer was no.
I was actually in the area and confirmed afterwards with someone what went.
No signing.
I'm not about to have to stalk them or some such - I feel this is something they should have done...it's not like they couldn't take the time, they just didn't...they didn't make an effort, I won't.

Quote:
And one last thing... Tarantino's a has-been?
Pretty much.

Quote:
I can only assume this means you didn't like Inglourious Basterds
That's right, not really at all. I found it boring.

Quote:
or Kill Bill
No, I liked that a lot (while it would have been better as one part...) though these films are hardly recent.

Quote:
I don't agree with that logic...
That's cool, just because I think he's one, doesn't have to make it so for you.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:25 AM
No charge for awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Yeah I checked in with the theatre, the answer was no.
I was actually in the area and confirmed afterwards with someone what went.
No signing.
I'm not about to have to stalk them or some such - I feel this is something they should have done...it's not like they couldn't take the time, they just didn't...they didn't make an effort, I won't.
Yeah, that basically established in your first few posts. The theatre event was not a signing. I was giving you a list of alternate options to meet them and get your shit signed. I've met NOFX, Everclear (several times), Millencolin, Nick Swardson, The Toadies (several times), The Burden Brothers (several times), members of Bad Religion, Gwar, Reverend Horton Heat, Deftones and John Crier just by being in the right places at the right times.

Quote:
Pretty much.

That's right, not really at all. I found it boring.

No, I liked that a lot (while it would have been better as one part...) though these films are hardly recent.
Agreed, Kill Bill would have been cooler as 1 film. I forgot about Death Proof and was thinking Kill Bill was the 2nd to last film he'd made.

Quote:
That's cool, just because I think he's one, doesn't have to make it so for you.
Fair enough. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, I'm just trying to understand where it' coming from. Someone who's only writer&director credits are Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill, Death Proof & Inglourious Basterds being called a has been is difficult for me to process.

So, for you it just takes 1 movie that doesn't equal the quality of a previous film for you to consider someone washed up?

Do you think Chris Nolan is washed up now because it's highly unlikely he's gonna top Dark Knight or Memento? Or Scorsese?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Misanthrope

I think a lot of Tarantino's output is really average and gets way more praise than it deserves especially all the shit he's lifted from other movies. Reservior Dogs and Jackie Brown being the exceptions because they were more refined and thought out. His whole style is really tired and dated IMO. I hate how he's appointed himself as the foremost authority of "grindhouse/cult cinema" too.