Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-20-2010, 02:57 AM
Bad Natured

The Punisher (2004). This was a fun, though dark, comic book-based revenge flick that has no pretense of its place in life. Once it gets going, it is a hard-hitting, over the top action flick with some humor and even some sense of randomness thrown in (the guitar scene was sublime). The acting was fine, the direction was competent. The action scenes were awesome. While the story may have been a little flimsy, it was consistently so, and either way, being based on a comic book such things are pardonable. Overall it was an outstanding fun dick flick. Ashe.
derek

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:39 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
The Punisher (2004). This was a fun, though dark, comic book-based revenge flick that has no pretense of its place in life. Once it gets going, it is a hard-hitting, over the top action flick with some humor and even some sense of randomness thrown in (the guitar scene was sublime). The acting was fine, the direction was competent. The action scenes were awesome. While the story may have been a little flimsy, it was consistently so, and either way, being based on a comic book such things are pardonable. Overall it was an outstanding fun dick flick. Ashe.
derek
Its a shame they changed the villian from Ma Gnucci to the weak ass Travolta character...

Kevin Nash was funny as The Russian though.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:12 AM
Living Dead

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Northern Hemisphere, North America, Gaia (Planet Earth), Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Multiverse
Send a message via MSN to mlauzon
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post
Shutter Island (2010)

Woah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
Ah! You beat me to it.

Shutter Island (2010)

To quote Alky, "Woah."
I really have to get to bed, and I wish I had time to write a proper review, but all I can say now (other than "Woah.") is that it floored me.
What a film. What a wild, incredible film. I'll be seeing this again shortly.
I beat both of you to it....
Old 02-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Undead

Send a message via AIM to Laura6 Send a message via Yahoo to Laura6
Kiss the Girls
Old 02-20-2010, 07:24 AM
For Vendetta

Fantastic film. More people need to see it.

Take note - Fort, Return, Alky, Chrono, NE, Newb, Psycho d, Rod...highly recommended.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Tenant

Alright, I was too tired to give this thing its proper review last night.

Shutter Island (2010) - 4.5/5

Come one, come all- let a real filmmaker get inside your brain and tamper around, because the experience is exhilerating. There is no McGuffin twist here, no cheap shots- what you see is what you get, but when everything is said and done you will need to experience it all over again. The best part of the movie is Scorsese's decision to take this film back to it's genre roots. The story was already set in the 1950s, but Marty uses Lewton scare tactics, a Hitchcockian camera and Clouzot's slow-burn technique to bring us an experience we simply never have today. An island is as perfect a location as any for this filmmaker's careful touch, and what starts in mystery ends that way; it's set somewhere off of Massachusetts, but this place might as well be on another planet. Robbie Robertson has organized and created one of his best scores to date, a thrilling music accompaniment that jives perfectly with Scorsese's images. Most impressive, though, is the cast- all of whom deliver jaw-dropping performances. Kingsley is mysterious and Max von Sydow is a welcome blast from the past. The real treasure, as always, is DiCaprio, an actor of tremedous power, who gives one of his most sensational performances here and whose ability literally allows the movie to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlauzon View Post
Ah, yes you did- and what an enlightening post!
Old 02-20-2010, 09:43 AM
The Spine Splitter

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Loomis Send a message via MSN to Doctor Loomis Send a message via Yahoo to Doctor Loomis
pulp fiction
Old 02-20-2010, 09:44 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post

Shutter Island (2010) - 4.5/5
Checking this one out this afternoon - was pumped in the first place, but that review made me even more so.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Atrocity Exhibition

F.I.S.T. (1978)

F.I.S.T. is one of the few films out there that illustrate Sly Stallone's great acting talents. Stallone really brings his character, Johnny Kovak, to life and gives one of his most memorable performances. This film shows that, having gone a different route, Stallone could have become a much better actor. After this film, Stallone had a few other good films but the majority were crumby sequels, cliche action films, and poor attempts at comedy. It's really a shame he didn't put his talents to better use like he did in his earlier work like Rocky, and Nighthawks.

The film begins in the Great Depression of the 30's and follows the life of Johnny Kovak, a labourer who works at unloading trucks. Who, with his coworkers after being severly mistreated, and underpaid fights back against the company. This leads to Kovak becoming a member of the Union F.I.S.T, the Federation of Innner-State Truckers. At first idealistic, Kovak's morals and values are challenged when he has to get organized crime groups involved to get what's fair.

My only complaint with the film is, in the later scenes were Stallone plays an older Kovak, his portrayl is a bit weak given his limited acting abilities at the time. This, however is only a minor complaint, he still gives a great performance.

The script is good, all the characters are realistic and well fleshed out,and the great director, Norman Jewison puts his talents to good use in F.I.S.T. Also, filled with a fantastic supporting cast (including, Peter Boyle, and Rod Steiger) all these elements come together to make F.I.S.T. a film that is definetly worth seeing.

-7.5/10.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Living Dead

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Northern Hemisphere, North America, Gaia (Planet Earth), Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Multiverse
Send a message via MSN to mlauzon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddy View Post
F.I.S.T. (1978)
I've been meaning to see that, as well as "Paradise Alley" & "Nighthawks".

---------------

Last movie seen, "Deathstalker II: Duel of the Titans"