Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum

Old 05-02-2010, 11:26 PM
For Vendetta

Most Groundbreaking Music Video of All-Time is...

...according to MySpace UK, the crown goes to -

London, May 3 – Michael Jackson’s 1983 hit ‘Thriller’ has been named the ‘Most Groundbreaking Music Video Of All Time’.

The 14-minute zombie epic, directed by London filmmaker John Landis, topped a poll for MySpace UK.

Second in the list was ‘Here It Goes Again’ by US act OK Go in which the band members perform a dance routine on treadmills.

Britney Spears’ breakthrough hit, … Baby One More Time – which saw the then teenage singer dancing in school uniform – finished in third position.

A-Ha’s animated promo for ‘Take On Me’, propelling the Norwegian trio to worldwide stardom – was fourth.

In fifth place was Johnny Cash’s poignant black and white film for Hurt – shot while he was in poor health just six months before he died from diabetes complications.

Will Francis, site editor of MySpace UK, said modern videomakers could learn a lesson from the past.

“Only two of the top ten were made this century. Which shows despite massive advances in technology, a brilliant idea coupled with a great star is an unbeatable format,” Sky News quoted him as saying.

The complete top ten:

1. Thriller – Michael Jackson (1983)

2. Here It Goes Again – OK Go (2006)

3. … Baby One More Time – Britney Spears (1998)

4. Take On Me – A-Ha (1985)

5. Hurt – Johnny Cash – (2003)

6. Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen (1975)

7. Daft Punk – Around the World (1997)

8. Weapon Of Choice – Fatboy Slim (1999)

9. Sledgehammer – Peter Gabriel (1986)

10. Sabotage – Beastie Boys (1994)
Old 05-02-2010, 11:30 PM
That fucking Guy...

I agree with 1, 4, 7 (to an extent) and 9.
I honestly think in the other cases people were just going with "songs they like", the videos were not really impressive at all.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:23 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
I agree with 1, 4, 7 (to an extent) and 9.
I honestly think in the other cases people were just going with "songs they like", the videos were not really impressive at all.
I agree with this a lot too..

Though it looks crap now 'Ashes to ashes' was pretty amazing back in the day..
Old 05-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
I agree with 1,2,4,7,8,9. 10 is great but not really innovative, or particularly memorable. I had to youtube it just now to remember. Take On Me is probably my favourite music video ever though, it's very cool even by today's standards.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:59 AM
No charge for awesomeness

1, 2,4, 8 I can see making the list but what the hell is britney spears doing on there?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwind22 View Post
1, 2,4, 8 I can see making the list but what the hell is britney spears doing on there?
I had to think about that one, too. But when you think about it, you remember how incredibly iconic that video was. It seems silly out of context, but that video really exploded her career - The vision of her and the dancing Catholic school girls was really iconic and really permeated throughout pop culture.

Not saying that I think it's all that great a video (or song), but I do remember its cultural relevance at the time.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!