Old 07-14-2017, 11:17 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
Another Horror sequel I personally prefer to the original and very controversially so is The Fly II. While the Cronenberg remake is excellent I always enjoyed the sequel just a little more. Objectively the Cronenberg film is probably better from a filmmaking and story perspective, but I find the sequel a little more entertaining overall. Always been a big fan of the MartinFly creature as well which I always felt was an underrated monster and still a terrific creature design.
Not to be a contrarian... I saw The Fly 2 twice, shortly after it came out, and then some 10 years ago. I really didn't like it either time. There's just something wrong about it... I want to say it's incoherent... but it's not that I don't understand it, just that something is off as a film. Peaking at Rottentomatoes.com over 21,000 audience 23%, 15 critics 27%. Pretty universally disliked. *shrug*

Old 07-15-2017, 01:00 PM
Evil Dead

It's never been a well-received film, but it's one I've always enjoyed. It's more of a traditional monster movie in contrast with the original which is more of a tragic love story. Both are radically different films and with the sequel they were probably going for the splatter/monster movie crowd who were more interested in seeing gruesome special effects.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:45 PM
ventricle

Quote:
It's never been a well-received film, but it's one I've always enjoyed. It's more of a traditional monster movie in contrast with the original which is more of a tragic love story. Both are radically different films and with the sequel they were probably going for the splatter/monster movie crowd who were more interested in seeing gruesome special effects.
Can't argue that They probably should have called it "The Fly: Transformation", or something like that -- rather than calling it "The Fly II". You know, if you're going to hook yourself the original so directly like that, you're courting expectations. When not met, people feel ripped off and fooled. Darn marketing executives!

Old 07-18-2017, 07:10 PM
Evil Dead

I give them credit for at least trying something different with the sequel as I don't think doing the original's plot all over again would've worked then. I also think the infamous dog sequence plays a big part in people disliking the second film, I recall it got quite a bit of backlash for that sequence. Nearly 30 years later it's still quite a disturbing and upsetting moment.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:48 PM
Evil Dead

It's a prequel, but last year's Ouija: Origin Of Evil is definitely much better than the original. I actually didn't dislike the original like so many did but it was ultimately pretty forgettable and not something I'd want to see again. the prequel on the other hand felt old-school and had much better atmosphere and suspense, and more interesting characters.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:28 AM
Still Here

I like to be open to sequels but horror is one genre where it doesn't seem to make sense to me to make one.

However there are indeed horror sequels I thought were better than the first one though I still find Saw I is the only one in the series that doesn't annoy me.

I thought Cube 2: Hypercube was definitely better than the first, partly because it adds a new dimension it the gameplay (both figuratively and literally) and doesn't have the same scrips problems.

I though Paranormal Activity 2 was the best of the series back when it was still fresh but didn't give things away as easily as the first so you feel the characters are actually in danger.

I also thought Revenge of chucky was better made than the child's play.

Hostel 2 is better than the first one? The first one is like my 2nd favourite horror movie... though I vowed to never watch the 2nd in case Eli Roth was enough of a jerk to invalidate the ending of the first movie. And we all know he is capable of trolling the audience in the worse way (Knock Knock).
Old 11-04-2017, 07:55 PM
Evil Dead

There's no Child's Play sequel called Revenge Of Chucky so far, I think you have it mixed up with another.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:22 PM
ventricle

Quote:
There's no Child's Play sequel called Revenge Of Chucky so far, I think you have it mixed up with another.
Ya, isn't the sequel called, "Romancing the Chucky" or something?

Old 11-06-2017, 06:32 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
HAHAHAH.

Is that real? You never know these days.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:07 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post

Ha, no. Not yet anyway, who knows if we won't get that as the next sequel.